SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Peter Derichs's Guides
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A couple of years back I bought my first Peter Derich guide. It was one to the Kruger Park.

It is not longer on my bookshelf :big_eyes:
why :hmz:

simply put, I saw a car full of very enthusiastic visitors, but very poor visitors to the Park. They had no binoculars, no maps.. a barely working car.. and certainly no books.

I was touched by their enthusiasm, but disturbed by their poverty.

The only thing I could help them with was something from my own library. Peter Derichs was the best in my boot.

Today I found myself, once again, looking at these top class guides.

Why did I give my book away?

Simply put, if you want detail, comprehensivenes. and diversity.. go the Peter Derich route.

I am off to bed now, to dream about my next trips.

I am going to look at the next addition to my library:
Kgalagadi Transfronteir Park.
and Augradies Park.

Post subject: Re: Peter Derichs's Guides
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
there is a Peter Derich book about Kgalagadi :dance:
with a surprise... inside :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My bedside browsing was Peter Derich's guide. I have not yet been to KTP, but this is perfect for planning.

I like guide books to be easy to access when I need to identify a species. I also like them to be enjoyable enough to browse through when I am not in the Park. These guides fill these criteria. The illustrations are wonderful and cover flora and fauna.

I can see that my bedside browsing for tonight is ready and waiting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I just bought all 3 at the Getaway show at 'The Dome' And the author was there and signed my copies They are fantastic books

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:29 pm 

Hi Meandering Mouse,
Nice to have seen you again at the Getaway Show. Why didn't you tell me you had given your Kruger book away? I would have gladly replaced yours. Contact me and I'll make a plan.
Enjoy the others.
Peter

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:57 pm 

Location: Vryheid, KZN, SA - too far from the Kruger, further from KTP!
Hi

I also have Peter's KNP & KTP guides. Love them! Always take them with to the park....I like the idea of having them on my bedside table! :D :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Following this thread and the other one on this topic, I cannot wait for Peter to post me the 2 books on Kruger and Kgalagadi, respectively. :D I accidently came across this book on the Wild Card website and via the link that took me to Peter's website. Immediately e-mailed Peter and placed an order.
The positive comments on Peter's publications confirmed to me that I will not be dissapointed. But I got a problem now - I cannot wait to receive it... no pressure Peter1 :thumbs_up: - just my way of expressing my enthusiasm - its the forumites fault... :hmz:
I am considering buying another one or two as gifts to give some of my friends...

----------------
10 - 18 Dec: cetral and northern Kruger

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:57 pm 

Hi Kaapsedraai,
They are already on the way! Enjoy.
Peter

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Thank you, Peter1 :thumbs_up:
Regards
Kaapsedraai

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can get more info about these books from the site :- petersguide.co.za
:w:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Wow :D - just what I was looking for as I received them this morning. I took a few pics of trees during last visit in Sep'10 and struggled to identify them for my own photobook I do after every trip. :cam: The pics of the trees and location is an excellent idea and as I will be spending 10 days central-north of Kruger in Dec'11, I will enjoy it so much more as the illustrations and decriptions will make a seemingly 'ordinary' place comes alive. Kruger is not about a kill or a sighting - it is much more than that and this is what this book will help me facilitate. A great one to have in your collection on Kruger. :thumbs_up:
I have never been to Kgalagadi, but a number of my friends have and this book is giving me a good feel for what to expect when planning my first trip hopefully in the near future.

Kaapsedraai
----------------
10 - 19 central - northen Kruger

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Visiting the Getaway show in Cape Town (Lourensford) this past weekend, I was pleasantly surprised by the presence of Peter. :o I managed to get my hands on the new edition to Peter's Guides - Augrabies Falls National Park.
Although I have not been to Augrabies, reading this book is as if you are already experiencingthe park with lots of graphic displays, detailed maps, photo's virtually of every single thing of interest. The Dassie trail is also mapped out in great detail. It also contains beautiful photos of animals and birds as well as list of index of names in English, Latin, Afrikaans and German. A guide worth having when visting Augrabies complimenting the Kgalagadi guide when planning a visit to this part of the country. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:20 am 

Hi Kaapsedraai,
Thanks for the nice review. It's rewarding to get this kind of feedback. It means I'm still on the right track! :D I'm about 70% finished with a book on "The Trees and Shrubs of the Augrabies Falls National Park". Besides the normal photos of the trees and shrubs I will be including a detailed map with GPS positions of the trees and shrubs. This means that you will be able to find a number of examples of the specific trees. (In various stages of growth and form.)
I've always had a problem in actually finding and identifying trees and using this system will eliminate the frustration aspect.
I have also updated my "Kruger National Park" book and will probably print it in Singapore as the costs here are very high.
Regards
Peter

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:dance: thanks Peter

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 am 

Hi,
Since my last post I've been quite busy. The new book "Flowering Plants of the Augrabies Falls Park" is now out and is looking really good. Nardus, Senior Ranger at the Park, has made a major contribution in terms of photos and plant ID.
I have also updated my guide to the "Kruger National Park". Lots more info and updated photos. It's now on sale in the Park.
I have also started research on the Addo Park which should take me about 12 months. Any contributions concerning tree and shrub identification will be appreciated.
Christmas is around the corner and for anyone who is interested in knowing a lot more about our fabulous Parks, these books make a great personalised gift.