Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 276  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sjoe Pantera leo, thank heavens!! :tongue:

Having enough trouble with the 8! :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was lucky enough to go birding with Johan last Saturday. Even added 7 lifers. :dance: Thanks again Johan it was a great trip and the company was even greater. :clap: :clap: I realized then that I am still a novice at this birding thing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
"only 8" pantera leo "only" :lol:

the 8th is easy form me... because I have some here... sometime :wink:
the other :shock: never saw :slap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Mutorashanga wrote:
Serious errors :doh: 4/11!! Must have been using the wrong guide. Look forward to seeing the answers. :)

Most serious error was on my side! :redface: I have not been having a sparkling clear day (mentally speaking) yesterday. Apart from losing my way on the forum, I scored Mutorashanga wrong as well. :doh: My apologies!

Mutorashanga actually got 6/11

The answers for 2012 #11 will be posted later today. Promise!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
So, eventually the results can be published. My appologies for the long wait!

#11 of 2012 returned an average score of 75%.

I still miss many of the regulars. When I get back from my birding trip I’ll get stuck into rekindling flagging interest… Let us see if we cannot get all the old hands back to participate again. In the meantime, you guys and gals must support the challenges posed by Lizet and Etienne during the next three weeks…

The results are as follows:
One ‘mites scored 4
one scored 6
two scored 7
seven scored 8
seven scored 9
1 scored 10
and one got all IDs correct.

So, here are the answers for challenge #11 for 2012...

Large view

#1a – Southern red bishop, male in transitional colours [18] . This bird caused very little trouble…

#1b – Cuckoofinch [18] . Yellow bird with black bill and eyes… Unique. Once you have seen one, you’ll never miss it again.

#2 – Pearl-breasted swallow [19] . No issues here.

#3 – Plain-backed Pipit [6] . The yellow base of bill and unstreaked back. Buffy pipit would have a pink base to the bill. African Rock pipit has an upright stance, and at this distance will show yellow shoulder patch and yellow edges on flight feathers. It also has a shorter tail than the Plain-backed pipit.

#4 – Yellow-throated Petronia [2] . This bird proved very tough indeed. mel123 wrote: The tail is too long for a female red-billed quelea, as well as for the female long-tailed widowbird. I also considered a streaky-headed seedeater but the head doesn't seem finely streaked. So, onto a little bird I never really looked at before. The eyebrow and tail length fits well. Lark-like Bunting is excluded because of the challenge bird’s plain crown, prominent (more so than for LLB) eyebrow, lack of rufous borders to back and tail feathers and a much more boldly marked back. Likewise, female house-sparrow is excluded because of its lighter grey cheek as well as the marking on the back and tail as explained for the exclusion of LLB.

#5 – Red-winged Francolin [20] . Everyone got this ID right.

#6 – Lesser Kestrel [20] . Everyone got this ID right as well.

#7 – Familiar chat [18] . Not much to be said here as most of you nailed the ID.

#8 – Striped Kingfisher [20] . Too easy!

#9 – Dusky Indigobird [5] . ‘mites found this a tough bird to ID. Some battled with the fact that there was too little to give a feel for the size of the bird and subsequently a few raptors and a widowbird were suggested. This bird was photographed near the Limpopo River. Classic dusky is white bill, pink legs. The bill and legs of this bird are both pale-pink, typical of the race found near the Limpopo River as opposed to the norm found at other venues. Village indigobirds have more deeply coloured pink legs and bill. Purple indigobirds have white bill, white legs with some variation in some races. Actually, the song of the bird is really the most reliable way of making the correct ID. So, I guess this challenge bird serves to show how difficult an ID can be if done from a picture alone.

#10 – Blue-cheecked bee-eater. [18] . Very little issues here.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:hmz: ... Johan gave me 7/11, but I only got 4, 9 and 10 wrong.... bit of a miscalculation there? :twisted:

Methinks the stats can thus be adjusted to:
1 mite scored 7/11 and
8 scored 8/11

(Still :evil: at myself about 4 and 10.... I almost chose yellow throated petronia and blue-cheeked bee eater :wall: )

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Can anyone tell me why 10 is blue-cheeked bee-eater and not Madagascan (Olive) bee-eater? I thought the blue-cheeked should have blue "eye-shadow" above and below the eye, not just above as here (which would be the Olive bee-eater). I interpreted the not quite brownish crown as a young bird in intermediate plumage between juvenile and adult -- a decision which I thought was supported by the relatively short "streamers" in the tail, which in an adult bird would extend much farther...

Just wondering.... :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Dabchick wrote:
:hmz: ... Johan gave me 7/11, but I only got 4, 9 and 10 wrong.... bit of a miscalculation there? :twisted:

Eish! :wall:

Same appology made to Mutorashanga I repeat here - applicable to any and all other 'mites that my senior moments are affecting :redface: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:38 am 

I must apologise for not posting my answers in time Johan, had my guest from the UK here and just could not devote enough time to the challenge but on checking the 6 answers that I did manage to write down beforehand I see I scored a full house for those!
Namely, 1a, 2, 5, 6, 8, 10. :D
I will definitely be in full time for the next challenges. :thumbs_up:

@ Dabchick, I put the Blue-cheeked down as a juv owing to the smaller tail streamers but do see where you are coming from. My books say the main difference is in the colour of the crowns but then the feathers can be worn by late Summer and the blue facial feathers can appear white. I guess the location of the bird can also be a big decider.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:37 pm 

Pic #2 :cam: for Challenge #12 'has been moved or deleted' from Tinypic :cry:

Please can you replace it Lizet? :gflower: I want to do the quiz, but if a picture's missing it all falls apart

Dave

Shingwedzi - 7-8/11/2011
Letaba - 9/11/2011
Olifants - 10/11/2011
Satara - 11/11/2011
Skukuza - 12/11/2011
Berg-en-dal - 13-14/11/2011

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elsa wrote:
@ Dabchick, I put the Blue-cheeked down as a juv owing to the smaller tail streamers but do see where you are coming from. My books say the main difference is in the colour of the crowns but then the feathers can be worn by late Summer and the blue facial feathers can appear white. I guess the location of the bird can also be a big decider.

Thanx Elsa! :thumbs_up: , I'm still not convinced it's a blue-cheeked, and would have liked to have had some indication about where the photo was taken before making the ID, but I'll not argue with the majority. If 18 out of 20 people say it is blue-cheeked, I'll keep my mouth shut...(but I will not necessarily agree with them :wink: ) :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:44 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Thanks JvR - we were dying to know where we went wrong.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dabchick wrote:
Can anyone tell me why 10 is blue-cheeked bee-eater and not Madagascan (Olive) bee-eater? I thought the blue-cheeked should have blue "eye-shadow" above and below the eye, not just above as here (which would be the Olive bee-eater). I interpreted the not quite brownish crown as a young bird in intermediate plumage between juvenile and adult -- a decision which I thought was supported by the relatively short "streamers" in the tail, which in an adult bird would extend much farther...

Just wondering.... :redface:

Dabchick, I didn't really look at the streamers. For me the green colour of the crown was the deciding factor.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:26 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have posted my answers to Bird ID Challenge #12/2012 early on Friday, 23/03/2012 to Lizet, but it is still lying in my outbox. Is Lizet's mailbox full? :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hang on Hilda, Lizet most probably flew off in a hurry to snap the famous little crake. :lol:
The birders are usually notoriously thin on the ground on forum over weekends. Bad hobby this! :naughty: :twisted:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 276  Next