Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: If snakes could talk...
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Everyone has a story to share about snakes. Scary encounters, funny ones etc etc. I will be honest, I have a huge respect for snakes and I prefer to see them from a safe distance, but sometimes, one gets too close for comfort :whistle:

Here are one or two of my experiences, please share yours. :thumbs_up:
(I wonder if snakes could talk what they would have to say... :hmz: )

Some years ago we were on an army patrol in the Phalaborwa area (Those wonderful Commando days) 8) . When walking in a single line formation, there were no snakes in sight, but walking in a spread out line formation, guaranteed chaos :shock: … Snakes would pop up everywhere, rinkals, cobras all sorts of snakes, with or without hoods, troops screaming and running into all directions.
Just makes one realize how a snake gets out of your way without you even knowing it is/was there. (In the spread out line formation they have nowhere to escape to. )

It was, of course, very humorous when the snakes were far away from you, to see the other guys literally jump into the air, mention must be made of colourful language that accompanied the jumper’s antiques, it was strictly not for the faint hearted.
I also remember pulling out a piece of grass one day during a rest break when I spotted a leave pattern, inches from my hand, a puffadder, lying neatly in the grass. I count myself very lucky for not getting bitten.

The only other place where I have experienced a lot of snakes, were in the Amsterdam area (Mpumalanga) I guess when moving in big groups, you have an impact on a larger area and are disturbing the snakes out of their hiding places.

Post subject: Re: If snakes could talk...
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bennievis I am very very grateful that I have never had a close encounter with a snake and I hope that I will always remain very very grateful so I am still grateful that I do not have a personal story to share :wink: . But it is interesting to read experiences of others and I feel sorry for them especially if they did not ask for a close encounter. The one about the commando formation that you told is a bit :) . The one incident where the person reported on the forum about the black mamba on the Sweni road hitting at him through the open car window made me very uneasy :shock: :shock: . And then the lady who was bitten at the Pafuri picnic site :big_eyes: . But there are also people who do not fear snakes but they respect them, I suppose their knowledge about snakes put them in a better position :thumbs_up: than some of us who rather avoid any contact with snakes :roll: . So, if snakes could talk I think they would tell me to please go my own way and leave them alone :clap: .

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Grantmissy :D
The Sweni/Black mamba story is a very scary, but very interesting one:shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I have mentioned this before somewhere
at Punda I was taking a load to the laundry to be washed. Out the corner of my eye just as you climb the steps into the laundry I saw movement I stopped and it was a nice black mamba about 3 metres long wringling up onto the first step across and down again and it went towards the pool . it was about away from me.
I am not scared of snakes and just kept tjoep still . I had no cmaers ... pity as he was a nice beeeeg one.I dont think he noticed me .....

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:11 pm 

Bennievis wrote:
(I wonder if snakes could talk what they would have to say... :hmz: )

Don't think I would be around for long enough to hear them, Bennievis !

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hugh wrote:
pity as he was a nice beeeeg one.I dont think he noticed me .....

Which was a very good thing I think as a black mamba is best avoided :shock:. Perhaps there are many snakes present in the camps but some of us just do not see or encounter them.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In 1999 / 2000 I was the 3rd or 4th in the line on the Wolhuter trail , the ranger and tracker stepped over a large - I estimate 1 metre long - puff adder that was partly obscured by grass that I heard slithering away ... quite a fortunate escape ... ?

I clearly remember this day as Jaco Badenhorst , the trails ranger called up a Pear Spotted Owl .
Later it was oppresively hot & humid and we also swam in knee deep crystal clear water from recent rain that was running in a sandy river bed.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have once read on the forum that snakes are fond of drains and those types of plumbing in- and outlets, even toilets :roll: . Since reading that I am always very very careful when in Kruger and I always look at all plumbing with suspicion. Just to remind me not to relax I have read today on News24 of a snake that bit a man while he was showering at a lodge in KZN and the snake came through the drain of the shower :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kobie Kruger wrote in her one of her books describing their experiences when her husband was a section ranger in Kruger that they eventually came to the conclusion that snakes were entering their house through the toilet bowl.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, I think if they could talk they would have asked for drivers to be on the look out for them when they cross the roads... :roll:

One day I was walking from the pets grave yard in Skukuza back to the shop and as I passed a big tree, there was a Spotted Bush snake peeking out of a hole in the tree stump... :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When my children were very young we stayed for a couple of nights at Lower Sabie.

On one very hot and oppressive day we decided to go the take away route for supper.

I went to buy the food and was walking back with supper piled high in my arms. I stumbled at one point and looked down on the ground to catch my balance. I was horrified to see that I was about to step onto a boomslang trying to get to another tree.

I was till shaking when I arrived at our bungalow. I have often wondered what might have happened had I not stumbled at that point. I know boomslangs do not generally inflict bites.. but one never knows. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MM :big_eyes: :oops:

When the camp site was still on the southern side in Lower Sabie, we noticed a Boomslang up in the tree under which our tent was... Was awesome to have our own Boomslang :dance: Was a bit more relaxing than the Black Mamba in a tree in Letaba camp :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mfezi, you do invite strange companions. :hmz:

I went on a game drive with Eco junkie once. It was a sundowner drive and the sun had set. Next thing EJ stopped the vehicle right next to a boomslang curled around a branch. It had just feasted on some Waxbill eggs. I felt very sorry for the waxbill, but it was possibly the best snake sighting that I have ever had.

We could have stroked the snake it was so close. It was an excellent time to look closely at the scales and the exquisite delicacy of the reptile.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 pm 

Closest I came to a snake was on my very first visit to Africa. One just "fell out" of the big tree in the middle of Tshokwane. I have no idea what it was but it's appearence cleared out the boma very quickly, I can tell you. Someone said it was a vine snake but I have no idea.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Now thats a "Welcome to Africa" Saraf :big_eyes: