Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feral dogs sighted on the Mahonie Loop
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am feeling pretty helpless about this but surely it has to be formally reported and action taken if the staff in Punda have not acted on it.
If they have an update would be great.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A question to the experts. What are the chances of these feral dogs breeding with wild dogs?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:48 pm 

This saddens me so much. They have to fix this problem! What also annoys me is that the poachers seem so arrogant that they wont get caught... :wall: :wall: :evil:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:56 pm 

Rangers do have dogs which i am sure will have to be fully and frequently innoculated against all the canine diseases. What did surprise me was that when my SO spoke to the guide later in camp, he said he was only going to report the incident to the ranger the next morning at 9am.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:26 pm 

Elsa,

There is a list of phone numbers where the rangers can be contacted directly.

For something this serious I don't think the section ranger would mind a late night call.

Here is the list of numbers.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:31 pm 

I am certain these are dogs used for poaching.

We have a house on a reserve near Hoedspruit and we are asked to alert the wardens when we hear dogs barking or see any signs of dogs on the property: just as foxes are used for hunting the dogs are used in packs to help bring down animals.
Dog packs are used a great deal in KZN as well.

My own feeling is that the dogs should be shot on sight, and the owners fined if they come seeking their dogs.

No incident of poaching, in whatever form, should be allowed.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:53 pm 

Thanks Dr Phil. my feeling was that it was happening so often, the guide clearly felt or had even possibly been insructed to only report it in office hours? if one looks at the Kruger map you will see where the one part of the Mahonie loop runs very close to the border and this is where we saw the poachers.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The presence of feral dogs does not necessarily mean that poachers are involved. Owners of these animals often hail from impoverished communities who are unable to look after the animals. They become wild in order to survive and eventually leave their owners. Interesting is that the feral dogs eventually resemble the Australian Dingo. Someone mentioned that if you free all the domesticated dogs and let them breed at will, the ones that will survive will look like a Dingo.

If one travels through Africa, and for that matter throuhgout the world, the only dogs that survived in the wild are the ones that look like a dingo, or feral dog as seen in Kruger. A Maltese poodle will definately not make it on its own, nor will a Boston terrier. Natural selection dictates what type of dog will make it, and in the end , it will be a dog similar to the feral dog or Dingo.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I missed the part about the owners being seen with the dogs. I agree in principle, shoot the dogs one sight and me personally will have a go at the poachers themselves. (I have just cleaned and got the .243 and 7mm ready for the annual Springbok, Blesbok, Kudu and Gemsbok hunt) A dead feral dog and its owner will do any crocodile good. Just remember to take extra supplies of Rennies and Gaviscon for the croc.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

yoda wrote:
Can anyone confirm that this incident was actually reported.

A week before these dogs were spotted by Elsa on a game drive a suspected poacher was killed by a buffalo on the 21st Feb in the same area. Surely after sympathising with the family of the deseased there must be a drive from SANParks to prevent a reoccuring incident and another fatality. How can you leave it to the next day when you know these people can be killed by wild animals. :big_eyes:

A few years back I've also seen people walking along the the Mahonie loop just after spotting an agitated elephant that stormed our car. The ranger went out to locate these illegal immigrant and brought them back to camp and contacted the police ao that they could be relocated.

See media release

Quote:
Media Release: KNP Buffalo fatally attacked a suspected fish poacher
Back to all newsDate: 22nd February 2012

Kruger National Park (KNP) rangers together with the South African Police Services (SAPS) discovered a dead body of someone who is believed to be a fish suspected poacher who was attacked by a buffalo on February 21, 2012 at Mphongolo River inside the Park. The body was discovered after it was reported to the Chief of Mavilingwe Village, an area south of Punda Maria Gate and the case was referred to the local Police Station and Rangers for further investigation.

Three individuals who are currently fish poaching suspects and were with the deceased yesterday when he met his untimely death tried to carry him after the attack but eventually left him under the tree to go and seek assistance. Upon receiving the news, the police together with KNP Rangers immediately rushed to the area and upon arrival, they discovered that the man had passed on already.

According to the three suspects who were with the deceased, the four men entered the park in the afternoon of February 21, 2012 to go fishing in the river illegally using gill nets. Whilst on the way there, they came across a single buffalo bull sleeping under the trees, but it woke up and charged them upon detecting their movements. They all ran to different directions. The three surviving suspects managed to escape the buffalo but the deceased was not lucky as he happened to be the target of the buffalo which viciously attacked him over a long distance until he met his untimely death. It was only after the surviving suspects ran home for assistance and that is when the case was reported to the police on the same night.

“On behalf of SANParks, we wish to express our sincere condolences to the family for the loss of their loved one”, said the KNP’s HOD: Public Relations, Mr William Mabasa. He went on to send a strong warning to poachers to stay away from the Park as there are dangerous wild animals roaming around. “Many lives have been unnecessarily lost to wild animals due to people not taking the necessary precautions”, concluded Mr Mabasa.

Issued by:
Laura Mukwevho, Media Relations Practitioner, Kruger National Park. Contact: Tel: 013 735 4262, cell: 082 807 1441 or email: laura.mukwevho@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:34 pm 

Rooies asked if dogs could interbreed with african wild dogs . I don't think it is possible, as they are from different genii. The dog is Canis lupus domesticus (dog wolf domestic ) and the wild dog is Lycaon pictus (wolf painted). They are however both Canidae , and affected by many of the same diseases.

Der wings is on de boid!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

section rangers have always been allowed to have dogs :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:44 am 

Section Rangers are allowed to have dogs. There is some terms to it though. I am not sure about all the terms but I know the dogs are locked up over night in a enclosed cage. This is to protect the dogs from Leopards. I know Oom Louis Olivier had a Jack Russel named Roftie who had 2 fights with a Leopard through the fence and survived.

Leopards hate dogs and will go after them even if people are around. Johan Oelofse shot a leopard one night around 10 pm after it came into his yard, on the koppie next to Mopani, and went after his dogs. One of his fellow rangers shot a leopard ontop of him in camp once. :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

These fierce guard dogs live in prime KNP lion & leopard country and are not locked up at night - there have been very few incidents involving by lions or leopards in years(in fact they seem to avoid the area),although snakes and ticks have taken their toll.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Working dogs have been part of the KNP set up as long as there have been rangers looking after it. People like Harry Wolhuter, CR De la Porte, AA Fraser, GR Healy all owned numbers of dogs, often in quite large packs as well. In fact one famous ranger often slept on the floor with his dogs ... no wife obviously!

The famous dog "cemetary" in Skukuza tells the story of the many dogs who died on duty. (Leopard, Mfezi, Crocodile mostly.)

These dogs played and still plays an important role in the work rangers do. Often when they need to go in to a dangerous situation, like facing an injured or trapped animal, the dogs will be the first to enter the field of confrontation. There are many stories of dogs having saved their masters, and some of those rangers are still working in the park today ... at least partly due to those dogs.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.