Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58
 Post subject: Re: visiting kruger for the 1st time
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm 

Hi again
I recieved a message from sanparks today stating they did not receive my application for the accommodation I inquired about and Lower Sabie is now fully booked.
There are spaces in Satara and skukuza and also Berg en Dal so I was wondering if that would be ok for us and if so what order would you recommend bearing in mind I was looking to return to joburg via the Blyde Canyon and also staying the night somewhere near joburg as we will be flying to cape town the next day.Any sugestions welcome

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Jimmy,

Berg n Dal is a wonderful camp which also gives you a very good chance to find lions and leopards. It's usually my last camp before I go back to Joburg airport. If you decide to stay at BnD you should think about doing a bush walk there. It's a great experience and BnD is a perfect area for walks.
So my choice beside Satara would be BnD :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:42 am 

If you are already at Satara and Skukuza then BnD would be great. Although I don't think I could resist extending my stay at Satara, I just love the place, so many roads to travel on.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:31 am 

A first time visit! That is so exciting :D

I've done trips where we changed camps every second night and trips where we changed seldom or remained put in one camp for the entire stay. I personally prefer changing camps less often (no more than 2 camps in a 6 night stay) because this allows one to properly explore an area, especially those with many roads/routes.

Also check in is at 2 pm and, we found that on those days when we were swapping camps we would spend many hours in the car with all our supplies which we found tiring - so we try to keep changing camps to a minimum.

Either way, you are going to have an incomparable and unforgettable experience. Be prepared to be instantly hooked :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 pm 

I agree with K_O_T_H about not moving too often. I just love settling in knowing I am there for a few days without the hassle of packing up all the stuff you need to take when self catering. But some people love moving, so it is definitely a personal choice.
Be prepared to become addicted to Kruger like the rest of us are.
Cant wait to hear your impressions once you have been.
:wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:13 am 

Thanks for the advice
.As it is our first time there staying at 2 campsover our 5 nights seems the most sensible option so I .am going to apply for Satara and BnD
What I must add is I am overwhelmed by the enthusiasm everyone has about the park. Having visited South Africa on 3 occasions before I am aware what a fabulous country it is to visit but the reviews given about Kruger have whetted my appetite even further for a return and I am certain this will be on a regular basis.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Jimmy :D whatever you choose, every area has it's uniqueness.

I would be sorry about missing out on Lower Sabie though. It is such a great place for both roads and animals. I always check about a month before my arrival to see if new possible bookings come up. If you could get a night in their semi luxury tents, it would be a step closer to heaven.

Many people are happy to loose their deposit rather than loose an opportunity to stay in certain camps. Lower Sabie is a camp that does tend to have many of these cancelations come up. I had 2 such cancelations over the New Year period.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The enthusiasm we have about the Park is because we love the place so much :dance: :dance: :dance:
I trust you will have a blast! :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jimmy - as Cheetah2111 just said: we ALL love that Kruger :k and after your visit, you will also be addicted to the bush, I am sure :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse gave good advice - make your booking and check AVAILABILITY at Lower Sabie daily. The good accom has a way to come up when you least expect it :doh: You may change your booking.

But BnD is really beautiful, try and get a chalet near the perimeter or dam and you will be a happy visitor.

Enjoy :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 pm 

I received confirmation from Sanparks and we shall be staying at BnD,Satara and Skukuza although I will as suggested watch for cancellations at Lower Sabie.However either way I am pleased to now be booked and would like to thank everyone for their valuable contributions.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jimmy - that is good news. All three camps are great in their own way and you will have a wonderful visit. Keep watching for LS - one never know :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:02 pm 

Experience as much of Kruger as you can and you'll find that it's impossible not to have a good time. My first visit was about 15 years ago and it changed my holidays forever ... nowhere else is quite as good (and I've been to many corners of the earth). Circumstances have prevented me from returning since 2009 and I'm getting VERY ANNOYED about it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:40 pm 

Just to update there has been cancellations for Lower Sabie as I was informed by numerous people would happen. and I have amended our booking so we will now be staying there for 2 nights so I am pleased with that, so thanks again for all your help.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:32 am 

Great news Jimmy, its a lovely camp and we've always found the roads around it to be very productive. Hope you have a great trip.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
jimmymcwill,

Welcome to the forum. It is very exciting planning a first trip to Kruger, and I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. My SO and I both remember our first trip to Kruger well, and it fostered a love of the park that has brought us back a number of times (all the way from Seattle, Washington, USA). Your camp choices, as others have said will give you a great and varied experience, as each camp have different things to offer. Game drives and Game walks are a great way to experience the park, and if you can I would book at least a drive or walk at each camp.

Enjoy your great adventure, and once again Welcome to the forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58