Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Shopping & food,wood and water.
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am 

We also had a bit of a problem with the Pic-n-Pay--seemed we arrived before an inventory day and many items were out of stock with half-empty shelves! Fortunately we had previously arranged to get our meat from Opidraai Slaghuis (as recommended by KG), as there was little available. And we had to make a few menu adjustments based on what was in stock. There was a very poor selection of fresh veggies or salad makings. But we managed fine, just be flexible in your list.

Aug 13/14: Augrabies Falls
Aug 15-21 KTP
15th--Kieliekrankie
16 & 17th--Nossob
18 & 19th--Kalahari Tented Camp
20th--Twee Riv,

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Shopping & food,wood and water.
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:48 am 

We had the most amazing experience at pnp.
I phoned from London and spoke to the manager. I then e-mailed him our shopping list. They collected the shopping which amazingly had no errors and delivered it free of charge to the airport. The green cooler bags were also a revelation lasting much longer than the one plastic cooler box

Post subject: Taking braai wood into Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 pm 

Can one buy braai wood in Upington to be used in Kgalagadi?

The is talk on another forum that all wood coming into Kgalagadi has to be disinfected.

Post subject: Re: Taking braai wood into Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here are some posts on this subject mistral :D Perhaps read the later posts as some might be out of date. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 pm 

Hi Dotty and excuse the Hijack Mistral.

Thanks for the link Dotty, but it does not answer the question, (or perhaps i missed it).

On another forum, there is talk that one may not bring wood into the Kgalagadi, and that wood for a braai in the park must be purchased inside the park, or it must be 'disinfected'. Is this the case?

I am just checking this becuase I am leaving for my first trip (3 more sleeps :dance: ) and in the back of my truck is a sack of wood.

Any guidance your or anyone else could give would be great!

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

That forum is incorrect. You can bring your own wood.

Actually I would (and will) bring both wood and coals. The coals take less space and cook fine. When I am done and the sun is setting I will add some wood for warmth and a pleasant fire.

Have a great time!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks DQs :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had some nasty experience with the wood bought near KTP which resullted in some sushi for the evening.

The wood in the shops are fine for heat, but as DuQues pointed out its best to bring some charcoal as well.

I heard that due to the endangered status of Camelthorn tree in certain parts of Southern Africa you are not allowed cutting down a tree for firewood. Not sure when the ban on the use of Camelthorn as fire wood will be implemented but maybe Kgalagadi Guru can help here with an answer.

When crossing the border at Mata-Mata you cannot take any wood along, maybe that is where the confusion came in about taking wood into KTP.

ROOKIE-LR and Mistral hope you will have a great trip to KTP. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi there all,

So glad the issue regarding Camelthorn has come up. We inthe park received a notice in September 2011 about the new protected species (Trees). See the following below:

STAATSKOERANT, 16 SEPTEMBER 2011 No. 34595

NOTICE OF THE LIST OF PROTECTED TREE SPECIES UNDER THE NATIONAL
FORESTS ACT, 1998 (ACT NO 84 OF 1998)

By virtue of powers vested in me under Section 15(3) of the National Forests Act, 1998,
I, Tina Joemat-Pettersson, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries hereby publish
a list of all protected trees belonging to a particular species under Section 12(1) (d) set
out in Schedule below.
The effect of this declaration is that in terms of Section 15(1) of the National Forests Act,
1998, no person may cut, disturb, damage or destroy any protected tree or possess,
collect, remove, transport, export, purchase, sell, donate or in any other manner acquire
or dispose of any protected tree or any forest product derived from a protected tree,
except under a licence or exemption granted by the Minister to an applicant and subject
to such period and conditions as may be stipulated.
Contravention of this declaration is regarded as a first category offence that may result in
a person who is found guilty of being sentenced to a fine or imprisonment for a period up
to three years, or to both a fine and imprisonment.

The three main species in the Kgalagadi is:
Acacia erioloba - Camel thorn/Kameeldoring
Acacia haematoxylon - Grey camel thorn/Vaalkameeldoring
Boscia albitrunca - Shepherd's tree/Witgat

Post subject: food..inspiration needed
Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:02 pm 

Hi all,

We are travelling from the UK to KTP in June and have a total of 8 nights there. 3 in Nossob, 3 in Kieliekrankie, 1 night KTC and 1 in Twee. We are going to stop off in Uppington to stock up on water, wine, beer, meat, veg etc, but I am conscious that the fresh food won't last us the full 8 nights. I therefore welcome any recipe inspiration from KTP experts - especially anything from cans :)

Oh - and I LOVE to braai and would hate the lack of fresh veg and meat to prevent me from a braai each evening :)

Cannot wait!

Thanks in advance for your help

Marie

Post subject: Re: food..inspiration needed
Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:02 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
First thing to ask you is...what sort of accommdation have you booked?

Most have fridge freezers, so as long as you get your meat vacuum packed (and preferably frozen) it will last all trip, you just take it out to defrost each day.

The same with fresh fruit and veg.

There are some good butcheries in Upington (KG can advise), or Pick n pay are very helpful. You can email them and pre order, or if you just go in on the day, that is also OK.

I agree with previous comments, you must braai as often as you can in KTP!!

Hope you have a wonderful time!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mariek, also remember to take a cool bag with, to put the frozen stuff in for when you move from one camp to the next.(will help to keep it all frozen and keep the cool stuff cool)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:22 pm 

Thanks Crested Val, we're in a mixture of chalets, dune cabins and a tent - but I think all are fully equipped. Good point Picnic, we will have to be careful when moving between camps that things don't defrost too much (we will take a cool bag and can pack it full).

We will definitely make a stop at the butchers - sounds yummy!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Mariek
We find that butternut lasts very well and braais nicely too. Put the whole butternut into a pot of water to par cook, then slice in half lengthways & spice and add butter. Wrap up and put in the coals while you are cooking your meat.
Gem squash done in a similar way ( but filled with tinned creamed sweet corn) is also yummy.
If you are taking salad ingredients, try to look out for Cos lettuce as this lasts longer than the other lettuce varieties. Just remember to take in whole lettuces in preference to prepared lettuce packs as the packs do not last.
If you are going in winter remember your hot water bottles - they are great for slipping inside your fleecy top if it is cold outside & on the early morning drives. Some sherry will also do wonders to keep you warm!
Enjoy your trip :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:31 pm 

Thanks Gandalf...those are some great tips. My mouth is watering thinking of the squash and creamed sweetcorn!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next