Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290 ... 364  Next
 Post subject: Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Keep safe EJ, looks as though you may have some heavy rain. You've certainly had some wonderful sightings recently, everything seems to be concentrating in your area!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The clouds are building up.....but the sun is still winning.

Forgot to say that last night as I turned into our camp road my headlights picked up a big male leopard in the road. He was not in the mood for hanging about and walked off into the grass, heading in the direction of camp. Did not see him again though.

This morning was a lesson in confusion.......and the walk did not happen. The presumed walkers actually wanted to ride, and had apparently been give a time 30mins after the time activities left anyway...... All sorted out, Rastah came back for them, I drove home again and after a hot drink went to bed again.

This evening both Patrick and Texson are away so unless rain stops play I will do the sunset drive here.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I've noticed how challenging the admin aspects of your vocation can be, EJ; but I still am insanely jealous at your style of living. :mrgreen: Was watching Derek and Beverley Joubert's three-year excursion with a leopard cub and it simply reinforced that feeling of longing for being the way we were designed to be.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:47 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
WOW you are one busy lady EJ! Just went through almost 20 pages and can't believe that I haven't read it before! Great sightings and very exciting lifestyle you have, I'm very :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Last night was all change again! Some confusion at the gate re numbers of guests, so Rastah came through to do the drive with the big truck and I was to go to BnD to do night drive. But there were fewer guests here after all...... However in the end Rastah and I decided to leave things as they were, and I drove to BnD.

The drive was fairly quiet. Lots of spotted eagle owls again, several ellie encounters, zebs, hippos, a white-tailed mongoose, impalas and scrub hares, and 3 hyenas (one very pregnant). Also on the tar road on the way back a Kurichane button-quail - my first ever sighting of one.

Tonight I did the BnD night drive again. As I left camp here I found 6 wild dogs near camp! Drove through to BnD and found 9 wild dogs near the s-bend - with a traffic jam that took me a while to sort out.

All the guests had seen the wild dogs, so I took the route to the waterhole......first the maribou storks, then 2 wild dogs dashed in front of us. We then saw an impala ewe - and suddenly another lot of wild dogs came racing across the road after her! We did not see what happened, but heard some exciting yipping going on.
The rest of the drive was full of nightjars and spotted eagle owls plus one white-faced scops owl. Also the usual impalas and scrub hares. I found a tiny 2cm chameleon (very impressed guests!), and we also had hippos, and a lone buffalo bull walked towards us in the middle of the tar road.

Then as we neared the t-junction to turn towards home I saw animals on the road.....more wild dogs! There were 8 of them this time. They began to play together and an elephant squealed next to us - their yipping had upset it, and we had not noticed it as we focused on the dogs! They immediately started to investigate it.....but not too close. We spent a while with them, enjoying the interaction and play. Some settled on the road again, but they kept bouncing up to play again. Eventually we had to leave them.....

More owls and nightjars on the way home. On my return to camp I had one interesting encounter with a scrub hare, thick-knee, and rhino calf in the road apparantly having a conversation!

Now bed time.....

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:mrgreen: Wild Dogs are everywhere :dance:
what a chance :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

EJ - wonderful wild dog sightings!! They are my "best" predator and I have been lucky enough to see them on several occasions.

The pack around Malelane/BnD - is that the pack from the Afsaal area, moved a bit south, or is it another pack that has moved into the area?? We saw 10 on the H5 near Mpondo Dam at the end of October.

I'm coming up in 2 weeks' time, but unlikely to see you as my friend and I will be at Croc Bridge (weather permitting) and Satara (booking moved from tent on perimeter at Lower Sabie).

Enjoying your travel reports - you do see some amazing things!

Satara 30 Nov - 3 Dec 2014
Lower Sabie 4 Dec 2014

Skukuza 5-8 Mar 2015

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hmmmmnn 23 wild dogs in three different sightings in one night. I have seen one wild dog in one sighting in ten years. :shock: Jealous? Naaaaaah :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Don't know where this pack is from, but strongly suspect they are denning with pups in this area at the moment as they seem to staying around.

Last night was definitely special!

Tonight I am doing security for the bush braai, so sightings will be less.....

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Had a good meal last night, and no drama or problems at the bush braai.

But.....after I had gone to bed.....TWANG - a noisy ellie I had heard on the river side of camp as I came in decided it was time to break into camp next to my caravan. No marulas about, so do not know what attracted him. I chased him, he came back, I chased him, he came back......and eventually I just gave up. In the morning the top strands of wire were broken again, several posts looked drunk and disorderly, and there was another trampled down area of fence next to my car. Vandalphant.....!

This evening I did a night drive for BnD again. Very quiet, but still impalas, scrub hares, duiker, hippos, hyenas, zebs, nightjars and spotted eagle owls, plus an ellie (well behaved). Carefully parked the vehicle to block the broken part of the fence, and hope for no trouble tonight!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
:thumbs_up: no Ellie... but why not a Leopard or something like that :wink:
have a good night EJ :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Busy week getting ready for the Cricket, and at the office preparing for a Shooting practice and assessment and Parks Heritage course happening the week I get back from my break. Lots of printing and preparation of handouts etc..... But all done in time.

Wednesday evening I was asked to do a night drive for BnD - but as I was driving out of the gate they called to say the guests had cancelled. I was grateful as it meant a little more time to get ready to leave for Skuks on Thursday.....but still had a rush in the morning anyway, as there was a bit of admin around camp.....

But eventually I was off to Skukuza - and once there quickly off-loaded my cold-box at my accommodation in the Vet Camp, and then had errands to do around the offices. By lunch time I was done and had the rest of the day free. I found that there was nobody else booked into Vet Camp - so a peaceful weekend there at night.

Found a few 'mites on Thursday afternoon - DB and Hawk, Ned, Steven, Sparrow - and some of the SANparks team.

Friday morning I headed back to the main camp to find out what I was needed to do - and found Frikkie talking with DB, JenB and Sparks. So glad we managed to sort out the equipment the anti-poaching so desperately needed!

Back to Vet Camp to do some laundry (I brought it with me!), and later back to main camp to help with sorting out t-shirts and name tags for the braai. During the afternoon there was a practice for the Angels playing cricket the next day. I was given the ball to try bowling.......and promptly extended the concept of a 'wide' by almost 240 degrees! The ball would not go where I wanted it to go - not overarm or underarm throwing!!!! Diplomatically I was told 'you are not a bowler'!!!!! Batting was a little better and I did connect with the ball a few times. The evening was good - meeting up with lots of 'mites again.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Saturday morning I was up early, and off to the Cricket gounds. I knew I had to get the Silent Auction things sorted out before the start of the matches...... Only Frikkie was already at the grounds getting the pitch ready for play and setting out the boundary markers.

I pulled tables about, and started to set out the few bits I had, and soon others arrived. Help was at hand and several folk were soon putting out items, attaching labels for the bidding, etc. Thanks to all who helped (no names as I know I will end up forgetting to list someone - but you know who you were!!!).

Then a quick bit of catching practice (and I did manage to throw the ball straight back to the hitter this time). We had to field first, and I was stationed behind the bowler (where I had least to do, and so would probably not have to throw much!). It came to the 2nd last over......and Geocor was wondering who to ask to bowl when somehow I ended up with the ball!!!!!!

And amazingly I managed to throw the first one straight down the pitch! Incredibly my accuracy lasted the whole over with no 'wides' at all - and 2 wickets with successive balls (sorry Nedret!!!!) :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Lesego and Roaneric were our heroines for the batting, and I did not even get to try that! We won!!!! First time in 6 years...... My first cricket-playing experience ever and I was on the winning side. Wonderful!

The Silent Auction was a disappointment as bids were low, and interest low too. It may be that this has run its course and we must think of something else - but also there were not many 'mites who stayed around the Cricket grounds either.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Packed up after the close of the Auction and headed back to shower and change for the dinner at the Golf club.

Got there early and helped Roaneric put out the keyfobs she had made (very cheerful and varied).

The evening was wonderful.....Frikkie gave a good talk about rhino poaching with lots of information - and some emotion packed in. The food was good. Prize-giving a huge surprise - I got a trophy for being the best bowler - hey??????? :redface: :shock:, and a medal for playing! Lesego was the best all round player :clap: , and PetraJ the best batter :clap:

Back to Vet Camp late, and very tired as I had not slept well the previous night. Slept very well, and now ready to have something to eat, pack up and return home to prepare for leaving tomorrow for my week away! Hope to get the car virtually packed up this evening so there is little to do in the morning. I will even put the mini-freezer in with an extension lead to keep it cold overnight.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
:clap: Jenny

a match is never won or lost... if not has played yet :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290 ... 364  Next