Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rowing Kayaking in Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:08 pm 

Hi charldurand and Lamps - a warm welcome to the forums!

Can you please provide an English translation for you posts above? If I tried, you might find them to end up meaning something totally different than they do :lol:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:18 pm 

Ons was so agtien maande terug in die Richtersveld. By die Tatasberg kamp het ons twee roeiers op die rivier gesien, dink hulle het verder stroomaf gekamp. Het na pret gelyk.

We were in the Richtersveld about 18 months ago. At Tatasberg camp we saw two rowers on the river, I think they were camping downstream. Looked like fun.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you charldurand :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Lamps,

There are a few companies east of Richtersveld, which runs canoeing tours of 4-5 days on the Orange river. Bringing your own canoe should not be a problem, but beware that you do not land in the restricted areas of diamond mining companies both east and west of the Richtersveld as WKK also mentioned.

In June/ July the flow is not too fast and the water can be cold.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 pm 

Thanks for all the info everyone. If all goes to plan we will try it and let you know.

Post subject: Current status of Richterveld roads?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

Greetings!

Can anyone tell me what the roads are currently like between Sendelingsdrif and De Hoop, and on to Tatasberg (I know to avoid the road along the river). We plan to travel alone in a Forester and are not serious about engaging with sand! We have been on many of the roads in the park a couple of years ago and had no problems, but never actually drove to Tatasberg. Also I am wondering if there is any news of serious changes to the state of the roads in more recent times.

Thank you in advance :)
Vera.

Post subject: Re: Current status of Richterveld roads?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 pm 

Hi Vera,

At the end of September last year, the roads were all fine - certainly down to De Hoop. One or two sections will require some more careful navigation - not sure what the ground clearence is of the Forester. Being the Richtersveld, many roads are rough and will give your vehicle a serious shake, and certainly nibble on your tyre rubber.

I can't comment on the inland road between de hoop and Tatasberg as we last travelled that over 10 years ago. The river road (Sept 2011) was mostly firm, apart from a few powdery sections. The GPS was fairly useful on the Tatasberg side of this track. We saw fresh cat spoor just past de hoop camp along the river road. If travelling alone, it may be better to take the inland road.

Tatasberg is fantastic - I hope they've sorted out power - we had to put up with the free stranding generator on both days during afternoon up until 9pm - a great shame. I suspect that the batteries weren't holding the charge of the solar and wind supplies and needed topping up.

Post subject: Rooiputs to Ai Ais
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 am 

I need so me advise on the folowing.

I will be visiting the Kgalagadi in June.I will be staying in Rooiputs.From there I want to travel to Ai Ais.My uncertainties is the following,

-Can one exit the Kgalagadi from Rooiputs via Dikbaardskolk and then west to Mata-Mata with a 4x4 Camping trailer being towed? :hmz:

Post subject: Re: Rooiputs to Ai Ais
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello Ostenwaldt and welcome to the madhouse :lol: Beware of addiction ...

You can certainly tow a camping 4x4 trailer from Kij Kij over either dune road to Mata Mata.

I really don't see why you couldn't tow one from Rooiputs to Kij Lij -- but, as that bit of road is still under construction, maybe someone who has used it recently will reply.

You do, of course know that, if you exit at MataMata, you must do all your border formalities at Twee Rivieren on your arrival.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ostenwaldt,

That should not be a problem. We were towing a Conqueror Companion from Nossob to Twee rivieren via the Rooiputs road, but I must add it was 2-3 days after the road was graded. Before the time the road was very shaky and we instead took the dune road towards Mata-Mata and connected at Dikbaardskolk when we drove to Nossob. Just drive the road to Kij-Kij before making the decision.

It is a single lane road but there is always space for uncoming traffic to turn-off. The dune road from Kij-Kij is shorter and in my opinion you do not see much after Melkvlei except for the leopards we did not spot at Dikbaardskolk and its better to drive a longer stretch along the Auob. :doh:

Just remember you will require a passport, vehicle and trailer registration paper etc when exiting via Mata-Mata unless you are a Namibian citizen. You also need to stay fot two nights in KTP when you exit at Mata-Mata.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 pm 

Thanks for the advise.When going to Rooiputs,can I enter at Gemsbok Border Post(how far from there to Rooiputs),or must I enter at Twee Rivieren?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Ostenwald,

It would make sense to enter at Twee Rivieren as you would have to clear SA customs there anyway.

You can get to Rooiputs in an hour from 2R unless held up by a serious sighting. The road from 2R to KijKij on the SA side has an exit to Rooiputs.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:53 am 

Hallo

The road from Twee rivieren to rooiputs is about 23km,and we have recently used the road from Rooiputs to Kij kij and if you take it slow its not that bad...

Have a AMAZING stay at Rooiputs!!!!!

BG :dance:

Post subject: Visiting The Fish River Canyon from SA
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:11 pm 

We are visiting The Canyon in April. Are their overnight chalets within daily reach of either Keetmanshoop or Karasburg. We wish to spend a night or 2 in the park. Suggestions please anyone!

Post subject: Re: Visiting The Fish River Canyon from SA
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Battman, welcome to the forums.
We visited the area in 2008, and if I remember correctly we drove from the Kgalagadi national park to Keetmanshoop, stayed the night, after visiting the quiver tree forest and Giant's playground on the way. The next day we drove to the Fishriver canyon, where we drove around, had lunch, fixed a flat tyre and the drove to a very friendly guestfarm in the Karasburg area, for our second night in Namibia. From there we drove to Augrabies, then onto Kimberley and home. A very nice road trip. :wink:
So, it should be within easy driving distance from either Karasburg or Keetmanshoop unless memory has totally failed me.
We didn't stay in the chalets at the Canyon, but it looked nice. Enjoy your trip!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next