Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 61 of 76
 [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Unavailable accommodations due to flooding
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I agree with Joep.

This is through no fault of Kruger management.

In fact they stand to lose out big time.

It is just unfortunate that it happened and people are affected.

What I would recommend is that those locals who need to cancel, be given the same class of accommodation at a later date irrespective of price increase, instead of a credit, and be permitted to book it now for any time in the future.

Let them re-accommodate foreigners first.

Go to Kgalagadi this year instead. You won't regret it. Or one of the other parks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:54 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear RobertT,

Please accept SANParks position in this regard and has been previously posted. We believe this is fair and reasonable and in many cases people have been helped with similar accommodation. The flood has been gone for more than a month, we have contacted hundreds of guests and dealt with all in the same manner. 90+% of them were happy with the process and we are not going to change our position in this regard.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
I agree with Joep.

This is through no fault of Kruger management.

In fact they stand to lose out big time.

It is just unfortunate that it happened and people are affected.

What I would recommend is that those locals who need to cancel, be given the same class of accommodation at a later date irrespective of price increase, instead of a credit, and be permitted to book it now for any time in the future.

Let them re-accommodate foreigners first.

Go to Kgalagadi this year instead. You won't regret it.

Hypothetical for you.

I've booked at Kruger for the period from 5 to 15 March, and my accommodation is now damaged. In order for me to make that trip, I've booked an overnight stay in Bloem (R1000), another in Jhb (R1000) and then another 2 nights for the trip home (I'm coming from Cape Town - so that's another R2000). I've also taken the 3 weeks leave I need to make this holiday happen. My kids are also excited about the trip. I've also bought a WildCard specifically for the trip, so that's another R800 or whatever down the drain.

Now I'm told that suddenly, through no fault of anyone really, I'm expected to either find another R500 per night in Kruger (R5000), or cancel everything.

And the attitude I get from Kruger management is too bad so sad, go someplace else some other time.

It's too late to cancel my other accommodation, so that's a minimum loss of R4000 I'm expected to absorb. Or R5000 I'm expected to find to make the holiday happen. Not counting the extreme heartbreak I'm going to have to face from my kids.

I can also not cancel my leave. I am now committed to a 3 week period at home I do not want.

You can bet your bottom dollar next year I'm going someplace else. Someplace that ISN'T SANParks. In fact, SANParks will be lucky to ever see me anywhere near any of their parks again after this.

Yet for the sake of a previously empty unit that wouldn't have brought in any money anyway (since it was available for me to use), this could all have been avoided.

And I haven't even begun to delve into the money lost through spending money that would have been spent at the shops and the restaurants.

And why are the foreigners more special than the locals? Since it seems SANParks are looking simply at the additional money they can fleece off their customers (and that is really what it seems like to me), R1 equals R1, no matter where it originates.

I accept that this is the SANParks position, and that it isn't going to change (and since it doesn't affect me personally it's not of much relevance), but as a PR exercise it's an absolute disaster, and does nothing to dispel the myth that government linked organisations are merely in it for the money, and don't give a damn about customer service.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Joep , thank you for explanation . Certainly , it is not Sanparks "fault " if the accommodation is no longer available , but the same can be said from the tourist's point of view .

In this instance , we still have almost 6 weeks to go before our visit , and we are changing our reservation to suit . Unfortunately , we will not necessarily enjoy the same " ambience " as at Balule , and also we have to pay the higher price elsewhere , but hey , what can you do ? :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

okie wrote:
Joep , thank you for explanation . Certainly , it is not Sanparks "fault " if the accommodation is no longer available , but the same can be said from the tourist's point of view .

In this instance , we still have almost 6 weeks to go before our visit , and we are changing our reservation to suit . Unfortunately , we will not necessarily enjoy the same " ambience " as at Balule , and also we have to pay the higher price elsewhere , but hey , what can you do ? :doh:

Exactly the point I tried to make above. In many instances, the lesser financial loss is to simply pay the extra for the accommodation. SANParks has their customers over the proverbial barrel. Many simply cannot afford to absorb the external losses (for want of a better term) a cancellation would bring with them, so they fork out the extra money.

It just feels like very little was sacrificed on the part of SANParks to accommodate those visitors affected by the floods. It feels like the visitors are expected to carry any additional expenses.

If SANParks even said "Ok, your booked accommodation was R500 a night, and we're offering you accommodation at R800 per night, so let's split the difference and call it R650 a night", well, that at least shows some consideration towards the visitors. But that isn't the stance that was taken, is it?

Post subject: lock topic
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 pm 

Thank you for your reply Joep, and for explaining SANParks' stance on the matter.

@ all, SANParks have answered, the original poster has seen the reply.

This topic will now be locked.

Post subject: Re: Kruger is flooding
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Zorilla, we have been in the park this past weekend, and can confirm that the same roads are still closed :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm 

Hi All, Thanks to all who posted pictures of the floods - they were awesome. Next time I'm in the loo at Tshokwane I'll be thinking of the water over my head. One thought - what happened to all the hippos and crocs in the rivers - did they move on to the land. bondm

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I have a number of photos of the flood that I have not yet posted. I am not sure if this would be old 'news' to any of you or if you would like me to post some of them. The photos are of the Nwaswisontso and Olifants river that were in flood. Also I have a few of the Timbavati river in flood.
BondM the hippos and crocs would have moved to higher ground. They would not have stayed in a flooding river. There were a number of 'veld' pools and lakes also caused by the heavy rain that these creatures could have moved into. Within a couple of days as the rivers subsided the I witnessed the return of hippos and crocs.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 am 

Hi adw - would love to see all your pics of the flooding :shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:36 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I agree with Safari Gal adw! Please post them all. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Okay, here goes. I will be posting the photos in chronological order.
I was staying at Satara which was fortunate in that the camp is not alongside a major river. The day before the floods it was raining steadily. Nothing dramatic but steady and continious. The afternoon of the 17/1/2012 I drove on the S90. The following photo shows the heavy rain clouds and I estimated the Timbavati area was the recipient of this heavy rain cloud. The time was 14h43.

The morning of the 18/1. It had rained throughout the night. As I left camp I noticed the S100 was closed and so was the S126. The Sweni river was flowing very strongly but as it was still dark I did not take a photo. On I drove and found the S126 closed as well, but I could tell from the S126 that the area was flooded as Kumana Dam had stretched right up to the corner near the S126. Kumana Dam was over a km long.
This photo shows the dam at the corner near the S125. The time was 05h44 and I was the second tourist vehicle to get to Kumana Dam.

This is Kumana Dam where one normally stops to view the dam and waterbirds.

Just past KD there were a number of tempory dams.

The Nwaswisontso river was in flood.

Another makeshift or tempory dam.

The S86, that short 4km route was also effectively closed by the flood waters.

The Nwaswisontso River had burst its banks in various places.

Mazithi dam was also flooded. The time was now 06h12

Just past Mazithi dam the H1-3 came to a sudden end as it became part of the Nwaswisontso river!!

Time to do a U-turn and head back to camp. More to follow...............

This is where

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

yes please from me too adw!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: :big_eyes:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry, my post was a bit late! Amazing pics adw, many thanks for posting. :popcorn:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 76  Next