Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Counting down to Xmas in KTP - What presents will we get
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

"]11 December 2012 continues

After the lion sighting of the two brother we travelled further on but did not spot the lion pride of Lijersdraai again. At the picnic area Sociable Weavers joined us around the table for breakfast.

Red hartbeest spotted along Lijersdraai

Sociable Weavers

Later the afternoon we ventured south and in Maries draai saw a cheetah resting far off. We decided to wait to see if the cheetah will walk closer to where we were parked. Luckily the cheetah decided to stroll down the river bed before gate closing time and we saw some interaction with a wildebeest. Not that the cheetah planned to attack but the wildebeest was alert and did not enjoy the company.

More sightings along Marie's loop for the afternoon:

Red hartebeest building up mussle after the long dry season and giving birth

I am not on that cheetah's dinner table tonight decided the ostrich

Late afternoon near Nossob

12 December 2012: Nossob camp

The next morning our luck was in with the brown hyaenas that we missed the previous day. We spotted one just before Kaspersdraai and then half way before Cheleka another brown hyaena crossed right in front of the car, but quickly moved across staring back at us.

At Cheleka we had a amazing sighting of a Black-chested Snake Eagle.

We drove out to find a lion mating pair, but they were to far off even to spot at slow speed. Only the marks of car tyres gave their position away. Luckily we had other sightings and watched a juv bateleurs sitting steady in the wind on a small branch near Kaspersdraai.

During the afternoon it was quiet at Kaspersdraai and Gemsbok had the oppurtunity to drink in peace without lion breath close by.

The day ended with a Kori performing a courtship display.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

13 December 2012: Day of the Lion/s

The day started off with a drive north of Nossob and not to far up the road I spotted one of few road blocks. It must be cats of course. A beaut of a male was walking south towards the turn-off to Mabua. After watching it walk pass at a distance away we decided to get closer and wanted to wait where the road cross the Nossob river. We drove south again, but decide the male is not coming or it took a rest on the other side of the river

We turn back towards our planned route and could not find him again. Only a few km's further at Cubitje Quap waited about 4 cars and guess what !!!!!!! A lion kill at one of the best spots possible. Enough space for all to view although the late comers were a bit inconsiderate parking next to some of the lions we where watching blocking out view. :tongue: I did not count them all, but estimate about 8 lions (females and young males) and a female with two cubs. The male lion we spotted first must be Big Daddy of the pride who finished his meal leaving mom and the other behind.

After eating enough wildebeest two lions approached the water hole for a drink.

When their thirst were quenced they walked across to the small loop on the river side for a rest joining the other 3 lions, which were already resting when we arrived.

Let me just clean your face. There is something stuck in your hair.

More thirsty lions finished their meal and came to drink. The Namaqua sandgrouses and Cape Turtle doves did not have a lot of time as usual at the water hole and flew away as soon as the lions came in for a drink.

I want some more of that ribs - must be spare rib night at Spur eat as much as you can. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi p@m,

This was one of the best sightings we've experience so far in KTP and we did not get bored sitting there for a few hours. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Hope you all enjoy the pics to follow. Its always difficults to choose and I might have added too many, but those that love lions will enjoy it. LIONS scored high and BLUE BULL O :tongue: :great:

The Lions of Cubitje Quap continues:

After nearly an hour we discovered that there were 2 cubs amoung all the adult / teenager lions. They were hiding behind a bush out of view and the way of the older and more rough ones. Mother taught them very well to stay away from the kill while the others eat.

They had to wait until everyone finished and could then only move to the carcass for left overs. The last few lions that nearly couldn't stop eating came for a drink.

This one grabbed a leg and went to rest far off from the kill.

Older lions resting in short loop opposite water hole.

Mother and cubs :

Now its the turn of the cubs to eat. Not much was left but they could at least get to know the taste of fresh wildebeest meat.

Mom also had to wait her turn and was trying to get some meaty pieces from the ribs and head.

The little ones were getting restless and wanted to head for the water hole. Mom first called the one back before they walked together to get some water.

I can catch you little butterflies.

Now that taste good after the meaty ribs.

The end of a great sighting at a lion kill. Mother and cubs walked away for a rest under a bush away from the rest of the group.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi P@m,

Thanks . :thumbs_up: After the meal the cubs rested a few hours and were ready again to drink later the afternoon. :wink:

13 December - Cubitje Quap continues:

I've got a few more pics of the cubs and lioness drinking water in the morning.

Late afternoon we decided to drive out to Cubitje Quop to check on the lions. The mother and cubs where sleeping in a very dangerous position around the corner coming into the water hole in the middle of the road. The tree on the left was providing welcome shade to the cubs and mom, while the rest of the pride was sleping at the bottom of the embankment and not much to take pics off.

The restless cubs playing around.

Wake-up mum we want some milk.
Here we go then. Just let me turn away from the sun.

mmmm that taste good. nothing like lions milk.

Last edited by Son godin on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sharifa, p@m and GavinW,

Thanks for all the lovely comments. :gflower: I see the other mites or a bit shy, but I hope those on board are still enjoying it. :thumbs_up:

Sightings of any cubs are always on my wish list and we were very lucky to see a few of them very close-up. I hope that we will see them again in July as slightly larger cubs or nearly teenager. Not sure how fast they grow.

There were also lots of courtship activities so babies might be on the list again. Well let me kick off with 14 December then to show you more cuties, this times the spotted cat or hunting lazy horse as Cheetah123 would say.

14 December 2011: South and North of Nossob

The day started with a drive to the south. After Rooikop SO spotted a lion crossing the road and we made a quick U-turn following them to the water hole. It was actually difficult to see them moving through the long grass and the first car that came from Nossob at first thought we are a lot of birders. :lol: :lol: :lol: Luckily few people took a drive out south and even when back tracking within 5 km from camp we were at first two cars and then another car joined us.

On a mission to get water at Rooikop

We continued on our drive to Marie's waterhole and about 2-3 km into the loop found two spotted hyaenas walking towards the water hole.

At the waterhole they met up with Gemsbok who were not too impress with them and they had to leave without water.

Just before the waterhole SO spotted a cheetah sitting on the dune very far off (sorry only a few speckles on a dune :tongue: ). We were hoping that it will come down to hunt, but after 20 min gave up.

There was however a surprise waiting for us back towards Nossob and just before the turn-off we saw another cheetah, :D :D This one was ready to hunt. Not sure how we missed her when turning off the first time, but maybe she was hiding the cubs from the lions that was spotted 500 m from there. It just shows you what you leave behind when turning back and that all the good sightings are not ahead.

At first it looked as if she missed and when we spotted the 4 cubs waiting for mum we really felts sorry for her missing out on a meal, but the next moment we saw her coming back with a spingbok lamb.

The cubs were waiting quietly not moving until mum called.

Unfortunately mum decided to drop the kill quite a distance from the road and while we caught watch them eating and climbing the tree it was too far for good shots without a 800mm lens and two times converter.

After the quick snack they were walking in our direction, but mum was very protective and avoided crossing where we were waiting. Instead they wandered further down the riverbed towards Rooikop playing and tackling each other.

Another creature was watching as well. After a kill it does not take long before the raptors will move in and these must be scary for this guy, a slender mongoose.

Back at camp we were told that they found 3 lions in the road north of Kwang. These guys must have entertained a huge cars by the look of all the tyre tracks. When we arrived they were rather lazy and the female moved off into the bushes. The other male was about 100 m away and I am not sure if its the brother or some competition.

Mating lions in the road near Kwang

I had enough - hope she enjoyed it.

Tough to be a male - lots of hard work ensuring your offspring.

Lapped-faced Vulture at Cubitje Quap - not much left for me. :cry:

Back at camp the Ninja squirrels entertained us.

Last edited by Son godin on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What Xmas presents did we get at KTP?
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

14 - 16 December 2011: Nossob and Twee Rivieren

The cats were a bit quiet the last 3 days of our stay, but the reason might be more bad luck than the fact that they disappaered. We even drove pass a few lions on the 15th Dec north of Nossob at the lookout just before Cubitje Quap. The Section Ranger of Nossob passed us on the way to CQ and asked us why we were driving pass the lions. :slap: Turning back did not help and some-how the rest of the day not much more luck.

If we drove south we might have seen the cheetah mum and cubs hunting again (spotted by Toureg), but that is the luck with choosing the right route.

I am busy working a few more photo's and will only post a few more random pics of the trip plus a few oldies.

This Verraux's Eagle owl was spotted near Houmoed late afternoon. Also seen by Forestgump.

Smaller creatures are always around for a nice shot. :cam:

My favourite cat spotted a few km north of KTP

Post subject: Re: What Xmas presents did we get at KTP?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pumbaa, Lion queen, Puppy and P@m ,

Sorry for the late reply. Firstly I just want to say thanks for the great compliments on my sightings. The AWC was spotted close to Kamqua. Now I cannot wait longer to be back in KTP in June 2012.

I bought the latest Getaway this weekend and saw that they have an article on KTP. The front cover nearly reminds me of the two old boys we saw near Polentswa

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2