Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 30 of 76
 [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger is flooding
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
Lesego you legend!!
100 kudu horns to you :gflower:

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: And a million more to the staff still in Kruger assisting tourists and another million more to the Airforce who is evacuating people from all the stranded areas. :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 pm 

Pics and Vids

Dear all please record pictures and video and post it, I was looking for the 2000 flood on the net and cant find to many pictures. This event sad indeed, none the less we go to the Kruger to come close to nature and to see how powerful nature can be is awesome. Recording this event will be one of our most memorable and sad events of the century!! :cam:

Post subject: Re: LATEST KRUGER SIGHTINGS FLOOD!! PG 27
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

18 Jan 2012

Hyena

KRUGER RAIN ALERT
Just outside Berg en Dal
By Rone

Biyamiti River
By Rone

Crocodile Bridge
By Graeme Gooch

Crocodile River at Malelane Gate

Crocodile Bridge!

Lower Sabie!

Lower Sabie!!

Lower Sabie

KrugeSightings.com on News 24

View from accomodation in lower sabie!

View from accomodation in lower sabie!

Sabie river infront of Skukuza!

IN SKUKUZA!!

in Skukuza!

Road Smashed to pieces in Hoedspruit

In Skukuza!

In Skukuza viewing Deck!!!
PHOTO OF THE DAY!!!

Letaba Camp!

On the way to the Phalaborwwa Gate

Over 300mm of rain. 800 people affected

house on the banks of the Crocodile river. (Sharna-dee Appelcryn)

The water level is rising in the Crocodile river. By Sharna-dee Appelcryn

Belinda Burger took this photo at Hoedspruit

Lisa Soine posted this photo on the Sanparks website (http://www.sanparks.org/forums) it was taken in Komatiepoort as floods occurred in the Kruger region.

Tony W posted this photo

19km from Paul Kruger on Sabie River
By @CandiceLane1

Electric Fence
By @CandiceLane1

Pool Deck
By CandiceLane1

Sabie River
By CandiceLane1

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Rooies, Hoedspruit is a mess. I am not gonna stick my neck out here but it sounds to me to be a place better to avoid.

Not sure when your folks need to go there, but I would advise to try and get hold of the crisis centres.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Checking weather forecast on SABC now. Not looking too bad for tomorrow and the rest of the weekend. 30% chance of rain tomorrow. None on Saturday. And 30% again on Sunday.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:31 pm 

Lesego wrote:
Hi guys, the latest media release is on the website. :wink:

Thanks Les!

Looks like a lot of repair work already done today - albeit temp repairs, but water supplies back up and running. :clap:

Quote:
Guests are urged to exercise caution around rivers as crocodiles are likely to be in flat areas.
It would be interesting to have a discussion around animal behaviour during a flood.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:39 pm 

Hi Folks,

Just caught up here.
We are currently sitting in Orpen, where electricity has been restored. All is good here, besides obviously the absolute devestation on the roads and in the bush. As far as people are concerned no negative reports from this side. Some people were rescued yesterday after their car got washed away, but the family is fine!!

The road between Orpen and Satara is perfectly fine for now as the water has subsided drastically, but still questionable in areas. Reports suggest that roughly 70% of roads etc are now open and im sure that will increase tomorrow as the water subsides further. Obviously all sand roads are still closed due to low level bridges etc, but as far as the camps Satara and Orpen go, all is well.

Will try upload pics and give more updates tomorrow on Olifants, as we are taking a drive up there.

In all the doom and gloom, some positive new- three days in a row we have seen the 21 wilddog outside Orpen, with sightings of Leopard, Hyhena, Elephants and Loads of general game.

Take care and God bless

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thx for the live update Inyati :thumbs_up: glad that you are all safe and having some amazing sightings to boot :dance: :dance: also glad to hear Tinyiko and Orpen staff are good!! Looking forward to your pics and think its awesome that Sanparks is doing such a spectacular job on both communication and clearing up! Well done everybody :clap: :clap: :clap: truly a phenomenal job!!!

2010 KNP
Nov 13-14 Lower Sabie, 15-18 Satara, 19-22 Skukuza,22-27 Biyamiti
Dec 24-27 Biyamiti, 28-29 Orpen, 30-31 Skukuza
Thought for the day
TR March 2010

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Hi Inyati

Thanks for the update :thumbs_up: ....glad nobody has got hurt.......nice to hear that everything is getting back to "normal"...glad you have had some nice spectacular sightings....hope you will have a nice time in KNP with nice sightings. :D

Waiting for the pictures.....and wonder how everything is at Olifants... :hmz:

:clap: Bravo to the KNP staff...great work in difficult times :clap:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good news that the water is now subsiding.
Initial reports also seem to indicate that there has been damage to some roads, but the camps seem relatively unscathed. I guess it could have been a lot worse.

A big :thumbs_up: to the Kruger staff who were under a lot of pressure under trying circumstances.

On the positive side for the Forum, it seems that the Flood has resulted in a few new members signing up. Hopefully they will become regulars :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I can just put in my 2 cents here. Sanparks has done, in my opinion, a super job on the communications front, under obviously difficult circumstances. Many organisations can learn from them. It's textbook on how things should be done.
Great job Lesego and team! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Many thanks for the update Inyati; glad you haven't been too badly affected and are having a good time (Those wild dogs . . . they never do that for me . . .grrrrr). Look forward to some pics.

Last edited by salamanda on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 pm 

A News24 article of interest: link

Quote:
Kruger Park 80% functional - CEO

2012-01-19 15:20

Johannesburg - The Kruger National Park was 80% functional by Thursday afternoon after heavy rains earlier in the week, SA National Parks (SANParks) said.

"A few tents were damaged, but our tourism facilities stood the test of the flood," chief executive David Mabunda said.

Water pumps and pipelines along river banks were damaged, but the park's engineering team was already working to restore the water supply to affected areas.

No deaths or serious injuries were reported, although six foreign tourists - four Italian and two British - were washed away in their car near Hamilton tent camp, he said.

People cut off

The tourists were taken to doctors at Skukuza for treatment.

In the north of the park, 26 people remained cut off and rangers were re-routing them to safety.

Another 22 people remained trapped at Biyamiti camp - one of the smaller accommodation sites.

Some guests who were trapped in cars had been rescued by Thursday morning. SANParks had kept their families updated on the situation.

Mabunda said no animal casualties or fatalities had been reported.

It appeared that the wildlife had sensed the approaching danger as most had migrated to higher ground days before.

Anti-poaching measures continued despite the floods, and Mabunda warned poachers that the wet ground would make it easier for rangers to track them.

The heavy rains were a "large infrequent event that tests the resilience of the ecosystem".

Positive effects of the flood were that previously dry areas were hydrated, while sediments and invasive plants were washed away.

‘Nature replenished itself’

Aquatic species were also afforded the opportunity to recolonise by the unusual conditions.

"Nature has replenished itself... events like this recharge the environment," Mabunda said.
In terms of future tourism revenue, the flood was likely to have a positive effect because "whenever an event of this nature occurs, we usually get more visitors".

Early projections from the chief engineer indicated that the park infrastructure would be completely fixed within six months, he said.

The Talamati, Buyamiti, and Shimuwini camps were still cut off, spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli said in a statement on the SANParks website.

The Talamati and Balule camps were flooded, while six tents at Lower Sabie had to be evacuated.

The staff village, camping site, swimming pool, and filling station at Letaba were swamped.

At Skukuza, a staff house was flooded and the indigenous nursery was damaged, but the water level had come to rest on the boundary fence. No serious damage had been reported at the rest camp.

Guests evacuated

The road between Skukuza and Tskokwane was still closed with the high level bridge intact, but blocked by debris.

The Crocodile Bridge road remained shut, but the rest camp of the same name was undamaged as the water had stopped rising 50m from the fence.

All gravel roads south of the Letaba River were still closed.

On Wednesday, precautionary evacuations were carried out in low-lying areas, including staff accommodation and river-view chalets.

Some guests had to be evacuated to accommodation outside the game reserve.

Residents supplied by the Ntunda, Sibange, Langeloop, and Masibekela water treatment plants would be provided with water, said Mpumalanga co-operative governance spokesperson Simphiwe Kunene.

Department head David Mahlobo and Nkomazi mayor Thuli Khoza had conducted an assessment of flood damage in Nkomazi, he said.

The areas most affected were Tonga, Block A, B and C, Masibekela, Driekoppies, Mangweni, Steenbok, Naas, and Sibange.

"Fourteen families have been affected and need reallocation, while 16 families were affected without needing to be relocated," Kunene said.

All the families would receive food parcels and blankets.

The municipality posted signs to redirect traffic on roads and bridges deemed unsafe after heavy rains on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kunene said his department would engage with the department of public works and the SA National Roads Agency Limited to repair damage, such as debris and potholes caused by the flood.
- SAPA

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm 

WOW the way the powers that be handled this disaster so well I am proud to be a south african. No serious injuries and the park survived without serious damage.

Well done to everyone involved. ☺

I must also say the information sent out on the forum is top class surely prevented exaggerated reports being sent out to the public. Thank u everyone.

Heather

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think every South African can be very proud today how this crises was handled :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
After all the shocking news from yesterday I had no hope that things would go back to 'nearly normal' in such a good time :thumbs_up: Lets hope that the situation improves more the next days and there is no more heavy rain to come!
Well done SANParks!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 76  Next