Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 8 of 30
 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger is flooding
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Congratulations and WELL DONE to all the folk involved in dealing with this terrible situation - SANDF, San Parks, and a whole bunch of individuals such as Eco Junkie etc etc.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A prayer of thanks that there was no loss of life. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:48 pm 

When I was a young engineer my mentor (who designed a fair number of dams in Kruger) said you can convey more with one picture than with a thousand words.

Seeing some of the confusion in this thread I'm sure a map of Kruger with closed roads marked in red in red crosses at closed gates would have been a good idea?

Then again, I'm sure Kruger staff has more important things to do than a coloring competition at this time!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:51 pm 

Well done Kruger!

Quote:
I thought I would start this topic because I have read so much about the flooding the last days.

In all of it it seems Kruger has jumped into overdrive. In what must be a logistical nightmare and very "unplanned" event it seems that it was all hands on deck and by the looks of it it seems as if they did very well with rescues and evacuations and whatever needed to be done.

The guys at Skukuza organised food and shelter for staff and visitors and even the help of the SANDF was well done and well co-ordinated. All the effected camps seems to have dealt as best as was humanly possible with the limited resources they have.

Well done folks. Your work in this situation is frigin awesome. Makes one proud.

Makes one very proud, Baffers :D

Thank you to everyone involved :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Just spent some time with the southern Kruger tourism manager and listening to what is happening. Information is coming in constantly. Some conflicting! Everything needs verifying before information is made public or gates/roads opened etc. Safety is paramount - rather keep roads closed until access is confirmed for example. Logistics are a nightmare with so many folk involved and communications affected. Many camps are off-line, managers travelling around surveying damage and access and so not always in cell reception areas, etc.

Please understand that no closures/changes/etc are done without good reason. There are issues with power or water supplies in some camps for example which reduce accommodation availability, just to give one small example. Repairs have to be tackled on a priority basis - and in some cases on a 'can do now' basis.

All our river view tents are closed at the moment - some arriving guests have already complained! We can do nothing about it at the moment for obvious reasons, but repairs have started where possible.

There are also many folk who have had little or no sleep since this started - tempers will be fraying, patience wearing thin - so sometimes responses will also be a bit abrupt. Please have some sympathy for all who are doing their best. (Wish I could do more - but folk here know I am available for anything if needed).

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:22 pm 
Guru
Guru

Latest update on the KNP Floods can be found in this media release.

Day visitors will not be allowed access to the park at the moment, as the park management will not be able to locate them should they be stranded.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

I am now back in the UK after spending time in SA including an amazing 7 nights in the park last week.
Among other camps we stayed at the river tents at Lower Sabie and it's incredible to imagine how different it all is a week later. I can just be so grateful that my stay was last week and not this week.

A huge thank you to the forumites who have been working so hard and keeping us updated with the flood developments. Hopefully the worst is now over and the water will start subsiding and this will soon just be a memory. Well done is also due to all SAN Parks staff members in what must be an extremely trying period keeping guests content while at the same time also worrying about their own homes and familes.

Keep it up :thumbs_up:

13-16 April - Satara
16-19 April - Biyamiti
19-22 April - Lower Sabie

Can't Wait !!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rooies , watch this one ... another tropical storm is moving southwards .

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1938&p=1626597#p1626597

An acquaintance living in Hoedspruit managed to drive to Pta this morning , but I can't raise him now - cell battery flat ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: LATEST KRUGER SIGHTINGS FLOOD!! PG 27
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

18 Jan 2012

Hyena

KRUGER RAIN ALERT
Just outside Berg en Dal
By Rone

Biyamiti River
By Rone

Crocodile Bridge
By Graeme Gooch

Crocodile River at Malelane Gate

Crocodile Bridge!

Lower Sabie!

Lower Sabie!!

Lower Sabie

KrugeSightings.com on News 24

View from accomodation in lower sabie!

View from accomodation in lower sabie!

Sabie river infront of Skukuza!

IN SKUKUZA!!

in Skukuza!

Road Smashed to pieces in Hoedspruit

In Skukuza!

In Skukuza viewing Deck!!!
PHOTO OF THE DAY!!!

Letaba Camp!

On the way to the Phalaborwwa Gate

Over 300mm of rain. 800 people affected

house on the banks of the Crocodile river. (Sharna-dee Appelcryn)

The water level is rising in the Crocodile river. By Sharna-dee Appelcryn

Belinda Burger took this photo at Hoedspruit

Lisa Soine posted this photo on the Sanparks website (http://www.sanparks.org/forums) it was taken in Komatiepoort as floods occurred in the Kruger region.

Tony W posted this photo

19km from Paul Kruger on Sabie River
By @CandiceLane1

Electric Fence
By @CandiceLane1

Pool Deck
By CandiceLane1

Sabie River
By CandiceLane1

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:31 pm 

Lesego wrote:
Hi guys, the latest media release is on the website. :wink:

Thanks Les!

Looks like a lot of repair work already done today - albeit temp repairs, but water supplies back up and running. :clap:

Quote:
Guests are urged to exercise caution around rivers as crocodiles are likely to be in flat areas.
It would be interesting to have a discussion around animal behaviour during a flood.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:39 pm 

Hi Folks,

Just caught up here.
We are currently sitting in Orpen, where electricity has been restored. All is good here, besides obviously the absolute devestation on the roads and in the bush. As far as people are concerned no negative reports from this side. Some people were rescued yesterday after their car got washed away, but the family is fine!!

The road between Orpen and Satara is perfectly fine for now as the water has subsided drastically, but still questionable in areas. Reports suggest that roughly 70% of roads etc are now open and im sure that will increase tomorrow as the water subsides further. Obviously all sand roads are still closed due to low level bridges etc, but as far as the camps Satara and Orpen go, all is well.

Will try upload pics and give more updates tomorrow on Olifants, as we are taking a drive up there.

In all the doom and gloom, some positive new- three days in a row we have seen the 21 wilddog outside Orpen, with sightings of Leopard, Hyhena, Elephants and Loads of general game.

Take care and God bless

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good news that the water is now subsiding.
Initial reports also seem to indicate that there has been damage to some roads, but the camps seem relatively unscathed. I guess it could have been a lot worse.

A big :thumbs_up: to the Kruger staff who were under a lot of pressure under trying circumstances.

On the positive side for the Forum, it seems that the Flood has resulted in a few new members signing up. Hopefully they will become regulars :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 pm 

A News24 article of interest: link

Quote:
Kruger Park 80% functional - CEO

2012-01-19 15:20

Johannesburg - The Kruger National Park was 80% functional by Thursday afternoon after heavy rains earlier in the week, SA National Parks (SANParks) said.

"A few tents were damaged, but our tourism facilities stood the test of the flood," chief executive David Mabunda said.

Water pumps and pipelines along river banks were damaged, but the park's engineering team was already working to restore the water supply to affected areas.

No deaths or serious injuries were reported, although six foreign tourists - four Italian and two British - were washed away in their car near Hamilton tent camp, he said.

People cut off

The tourists were taken to doctors at Skukuza for treatment.

In the north of the park, 26 people remained cut off and rangers were re-routing them to safety.

Another 22 people remained trapped at Biyamiti camp - one of the smaller accommodation sites.

Some guests who were trapped in cars had been rescued by Thursday morning. SANParks had kept their families updated on the situation.

Mabunda said no animal casualties or fatalities had been reported.

It appeared that the wildlife had sensed the approaching danger as most had migrated to higher ground days before.

Anti-poaching measures continued despite the floods, and Mabunda warned poachers that the wet ground would make it easier for rangers to track them.

The heavy rains were a "large infrequent event that tests the resilience of the ecosystem".

Positive effects of the flood were that previously dry areas were hydrated, while sediments and invasive plants were washed away.

‘Nature replenished itself’

Aquatic species were also afforded the opportunity to recolonise by the unusual conditions.

"Nature has replenished itself... events like this recharge the environment," Mabunda said.
In terms of future tourism revenue, the flood was likely to have a positive effect because "whenever an event of this nature occurs, we usually get more visitors".

Early projections from the chief engineer indicated that the park infrastructure would be completely fixed within six months, he said.

The Talamati, Buyamiti, and Shimuwini camps were still cut off, spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli said in a statement on the SANParks website.

The Talamati and Balule camps were flooded, while six tents at Lower Sabie had to be evacuated.

The staff village, camping site, swimming pool, and filling station at Letaba were swamped.

At Skukuza, a staff house was flooded and the indigenous nursery was damaged, but the water level had come to rest on the boundary fence. No serious damage had been reported at the rest camp.

Guests evacuated

The road between Skukuza and Tskokwane was still closed with the high level bridge intact, but blocked by debris.

The Crocodile Bridge road remained shut, but the rest camp of the same name was undamaged as the water had stopped rising 50m from the fence.

All gravel roads south of the Letaba River were still closed.

On Wednesday, precautionary evacuations were carried out in low-lying areas, including staff accommodation and river-view chalets.

Some guests had to be evacuated to accommodation outside the game reserve.

Residents supplied by the Ntunda, Sibange, Langeloop, and Masibekela water treatment plants would be provided with water, said Mpumalanga co-operative governance spokesperson Simphiwe Kunene.

Department head David Mahlobo and Nkomazi mayor Thuli Khoza had conducted an assessment of flood damage in Nkomazi, he said.

The areas most affected were Tonga, Block A, B and C, Masibekela, Driekoppies, Mangweni, Steenbok, Naas, and Sibange.

"Fourteen families have been affected and need reallocation, while 16 families were affected without needing to be relocated," Kunene said.

All the families would receive food parcels and blankets.

The municipality posted signs to redirect traffic on roads and bridges deemed unsafe after heavy rains on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kunene said his department would engage with the department of public works and the SA National Roads Agency Limited to repair damage, such as debris and potholes caused by the flood.
- SAPA

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think every South African can be very proud today how this crises was handled :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
After all the shocking news from yesterday I had no hope that things would go back to 'nearly normal' in such a good time :thumbs_up: Lets hope that the situation improves more the next days and there is no more heavy rain to come!
Well done SANParks!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 pm 

So happy to see things slowly returning to normal! :dance:
Big thanks to all at Sanparks for the tremendous efforts made.
You are all stars! :gflower:

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wild Dreamer wrote:
Marloth Park, Crocodile Road side at approx. 14h00 today:
For those who know Marloth and how high the banks are on either side of the Crocodile River, you can see how high the level is!

Holy crap that's a lot of water. Question though, is the lookout (that brick structure next to the river - I don't know the street name) still there?

I also want to add that all too often we're quick to complain about bad service levels. But the way SANParks handled this situation was absolutely excellent. Communication was forthcoming right through, and although we will no doubt in days to come read tourists opinions about rude staff and being "held in captivity" (being told to stay in their rooms), I have little doubt that this will be the result of Park Personnel simply trying to keep everyone safe in the face of a natural disaster and inconsisderate guests who think they know better.

I do also have a question. Do the other forumites here think that the relative recency (if that's even a word) of the 2000 floods meant that the Park was more prepared, and better constructed even to withstand the floods this time? To my mind it surely has to have meant that.

Last edited by Orange on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next