Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Best sighting in Kruger, with no other tourists
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Another best sighting was last year – September 2010 .
Our last night in Kruger was spent in Shingwedzi . We left early the next morning , and about 10 kilometers from camp came onto 4 lions , a male and 3 females .
Here follows a pictorial record of what happened , no more than 15 meters from us , and no other cars around .
To me the pictures tell a story feminine insubordination and rebellion , ending in a loud demonstration of masculine superiority .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 pm 
okie

I saw these pictures in your TR and looking at them now reminds me just what a fascinating sighting this was.

Then you were so privileged to enjoy it all by yourselves.

I really feel for the lioness with the missing piece of skin.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:32 pm 

Last Saturday we were on our way to Skukuza from Pretoriuskop. We were on our own - yes on a Saturday morning. I think everyone was at the buffalo sighting at Skukuza!! The next moment a cheetah was next to the road. This cheetah was making the most beautiful sounds, running, wheeing against the tree, then jump onto a road sign and did number two. Then walk on the road and still we were on our own!!!!! I have never in my life experienced that. :clap:

Last Sunday afternoon (17h30) we were sitting with two other cars watching two "flatties" quite far in the bush. You could see their tails and sometimes their head came up. By 17h45 everyone left. It was us alone with the two flatties. At 18h00 the two flatties stood up and we could see two beautiful lionessess. They came out of the bush and walk over the road with only us watching. Eish that is "wooow" moments for me. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:48 pm 

Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park
I've posted these already on other topics, but oh well.....

We were all alone with this sighting on the S25. It happened just after we passed another car, those poor people must've missed it by seconds.

We were alone with these two lions for over an hour before another car arrived.

Yes Bush Baptist I agree with you, chances are slim to have sighting all for yourself in Kruger, but when you do, it's just so much more special...

Skukuza 28 - 2 Jan 2013
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

L74 - that L sighting is worth more than 1 posting !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:29 am 

April 2011, late afternoon near the Welverdiend watehole, on our way back to Satara.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:55 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thats brilliant ColWD :clap: :clap: :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
In May 2003 I sat one morning early before a round of golf in the Lake Panic bird hide all by myself.
Next moment an impala came running towards the water from the left.... with 5 wild dogs hot in pursuit!
At the time there was very little water in the lake for some reason and the impala managed to escape the dogs with a tremendous jump over the stream leaving the dogs milling around for a few seconds before they disappeared again from the bushes they burst out a few seconds ago. And as I was video recording the sun rise I got everything on video! :D

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Two special sightings come to mind when we were on our own. Don't remember when but probably early 90s.

Left Punda early to go north, we might have been the first car, and at some point saw something on the road ahead. I always stop and look through the binoculars first to see what it is in case it disappears, but these two cheetah were just making their way slowly up the road. It was hot and they kept stopping to rest in shady patches and we were able to stop right next to them on the road, we could hear them purring the width of the road away from us. Stayed with them for about 20 minutes, I think, until another vehicle arrived.

The other occasion was going south from Satara on a cloudy day in the morning. We came upon a whole flock of storks, maybe more than 100, probably white storks, and one Marabou with them, in a dip in the road where it bends round to the left. They blocked the whole road and we watched them for some time, amazed at this conference in the middle of the road. A vehicle approached from the opposite direction, paused for a short time on the brow of the dip, and then slowly drove forward, at which the birds gradually took off. As the vehicle approached us I stopped them and said "Wasn't that amazing" and the man replied "Have you seen lions?"

It takes all types ..... :slap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:52 pm 

chirinda wrote:
As the vehicle approached us I stopped them and said "Wasn't that amazing" and the man replied "Have you seen lions?"
:tongue: We also came across a huge flock of White Storks on the S39 Timbavati Road a couple of years back and I must admit it was one of the highlights of our trips, same thing, there were hundreds of them in the road and on both sides, quite an incredible sighting.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:26 pm 

Was driving on S1 Tar road and reached a traffic Jam. Stopped and asked them what they see and they replied a leopard was sitting in the tree but has moved off into thicker bush now. So i switched the car off and started scanning the area. Car after car left resulting in me being the only one looking for the leopard. Dont know what made me look in the review mirror but glad i did as this is what was looking back at me :)

had her all to myself for 10 min in the road drinking water.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WOW :shock: That is a terrific :cam: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 pm 

Easily my best sighting in the park with no one else, was my first ever Leopard. I've been waiting nearly 4 years to see one in the park, and in October 2011 i finally did,
We had stopped to give our daughter some milk, and just as we were about to drive off, Matt looked out of his window, to be greeted by the sight of this guy! He'd been laying there the whole time, and we hadn't noticed!
DSCF1273 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1274 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1279 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1280 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
We sat with him for about 10 minutes, just watching him sleep, roll over, sleep again. Then he got up, had a look around, and came and lay down again...even closer! I still couldn't believe there were no other cars around! I was expecting my first Leopard to be a traffic jam!
DSCF1282 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1283 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1285 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1286 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1293 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1294 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1295 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1298 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
About 40 minutes into our sighting, we heard another car coming, as we saw them we waved them to slow down and they did. We could see the excitement in their car as they saw what we were watching. So, it was just us two for about 10 minutes, then another car began to approach, we waved them to slow down...but they didn't...Matt started flashing his lights but they still didn't slow down. By now, our Leopard was sitting up, looking quite nervous, he really wasn't happy about the approaching car. As they reached us they slammed on the brakes but by this time Mr Leopard was having none of it, and he was up, making a run for it, into the bush and within about a minute he was completely gone.
DSCF1299 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1302 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
DSCF1304 by MattYar1974, on Flickr
The offending car drove off, clearly angry that they didn't see what they wanted to, although it was totally their own fault, but the other car stopped and thanked us for showing them the Leopard and even apologised for the other cars behaviour!

2 Nights Bergendal
3 Nights Pretoriuskop
1 EXTRA night Skukuza

3 nights sabie river bungalows

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

WOW, what a wonderful thread and what awesome sightings and pics!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks to all :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: - and please :pray: show us more!!! :popcorn: :D

PLEASE NO HOTELS in KNP and PLEASE don´t change KNP into a Funpark!

KNP - Eyes and tracks behind the bush

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a wonderful sighting MaryMattMillie :dance: :dance: And for such a long time :mrgreen:
would you mind to tell us where you saw this beauty?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next