Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: TONY PARK - COMPARISON to other authors....
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:08 pm 

It's great to see that Tony Park is receiving the accolades for his great books! African Dawn is absolutely superb - but then again all of his books have been really enjoyable....

I had a tiff with a bunch of 'bookies' at work recently (we regularly discuss books/authors etc) - a couple of them kept insisting that Tony is a 'wannabe' Wilbur Smith... Sure, maybe Wilbur Smith has sold millions of books - but keep in mind he's been going since the early 60's.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy Wilbur Smith's books and respect him as an author.... but Tony's books are far more contemporary and modern, and I find myself identifying better with his characters and 'locations', use of language etc.

All I can say is "Keep it up, Tony"..... I've got your whole collection and I sincerely hope I will have to extend my bookshelves one day......

Post subject: Re: TONY PARK - COMPARISON to other authors....
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with everything you say, George PM. Tony's books are very well-researched and up to date.
I remember driving in KNP and saying to my daughter (who was reading one of Tony's books at the time) "There's the bush Tony was writing about". In one of yesterday's papers there was something about a Zimabwean Minister denying any involvement in rhino poaching - will sound familiar if you have read Tony's latest book!!

Hopefully many more "African" books coming our way.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015