[ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Problems
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys

Please take note of the following issues with TinyPic

And I quote:

Photobucket-owned image hosting service Tinypic just killed off its service to all international users. According to reports, users in countries other than US, UK, Canada and Australia are now seeing the above message.

From what we’re seeing on various blogs, users both restricted and unrestricted are unhappy about the move calling for a Tinypic boycott, suggesting alternate services such as imgur as well as figuring out a work around way to get access to previously uploaded photos.

From our tipster:

“We just lost access to over 6,500 images that users were posting to our forum (19,000+ members)… all of them international users (spanish speaking).. Argh.. :( Those images are no longer viewable to them.”

We’ve contacted Tinypic for more info and will update this post when they respond.

Update: While no one from Tinypic or parent company Photobucket has responded to our emails, another tipster reports that Tinypic is mysteriously back up for Spanish and possibly other users:

“People are Tweeting the same thing … Did Tinypic change their minds? Are they going to roll out a plan this time hopefully altering everyone in advance; like they should have in the first place.”

We’ve just sent another request for info and will keep updating as we hear more news.

The article is posted HERE ON TECHCRUNCH

This might be the problem. Tinypic is in serious trouble financially.
My suggestion would be to take the plunge and go with a paid service like Flickr. It costs about $40 US for a 3 year premium subscription.

Hope this helps..

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:57 pm 

Yes AM, it is part of the changes that were launched yesterday that were made to the design elements of the main site and as a result a change to forum as well.

These changes highly elevated the standards of the booking process on the main site and gives a much more user friendly experience.

You will also notice the forums load much quicker now 8)

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

arks wrote:
lion queen wrote:
Sorry Arks did not Know it is for KTP................. :redface:

All you have to do is if you have checked for instance Mata Mata...........then just click on the Travel drop down on the left and then on Availability and that will take you back to all camps in KTP.........no need to go back to home page............hope this help............... :D

I do know that you can do that, BUT it's more effort than the dropdown menus that used to be on every accommodation availability page and that is my issue with this "upgrade" :wall: :twisted: If they can have the "jump to camp" option on other pages (Addo as well as KNP) then there is NO reason why it shouldn't also exist for KTP and other parks — just a BIG glitch created by this so-called "upgrade". :roll:

(What I really don't understand is why pages are not checked out thoroughly BEFORE any such "upgrade" is uploaded?!? Major errors occur each time there is a so-called "upgrade" and I find that inexcuseable and unprofessional. It just makes SANParks look inept. )

Hi Arks,

I have investigated this - the camps dropdown is working for the majority, for KTP in particular, we never had a drop down - so it was not a change, its just something that has been pointed out. I have confirmed with two versions of backups - prior to the re-launch of the site layout and neither of those backups have the drop down.

I will schedule this in to add them for these parks that don't have them.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Steven, further to my above comments, I am now searching accommodation in KNP and while there is a dropdown menu that takes you to the main page of another camp, what there USED to be was a dropdown menu that took you from one camp's AVAILABILITY page to another availability page. This was true for KNP and for KTP, and I believe also for other parks that have several camps altho I'm not 100% certain on that.

What I am absolutely certain about is that before this so-called upgrade, you could move from one camp's availability page directly to another camp's availability page by using a dropdown menu that took you directly to the availability page (and for the specific month that you were looking for as well) without going first to the camp's main page. Now, with this "upgrade", several more unnecessary steps are required to find availability information and it is VERY frustrating. Again, I wonder, why change something that worked perfectly well?!? :roll:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Arks, :gflower:

The forum font size is a system change, and not your side, it wasnt your fault at all - but we can say it was and it will take weeks to fix ;)

Basically, as discussed with the site revamp in December, I said we would be correcting the forum layouts to make a cleaner and sleeker forum experiance. We have finally got the first version out - this is what you currently see and there will be visible differences such as the font size, the borders added back (as you request :redface:).

You will notice that the font on the forums now matches the font on the main SANParks site, and due to brand reputation - it is best that way - as the other mite suggested you are able to change the font size your side, but don't change it too much as you wont get the crisp feel that much any more.

Overall, most of the mites like the crisper feeling, with some talking about the font size, for the latter, I offer a chocolate in way of saying sorry, limited to 3 though - you will be first in line :)

With the ability to cater for the font size in your hands, I will leave the font size for now - but, if you see any other issues that need correcting, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

arks wrote:
Steven, I've just this moment discovered that you've restored the dropdown menus to the individual camps availability pages! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :gflower:
It really does make checking availability SO much easier :dance:

No problem always a pleasure to assist mites :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dotty wrote:
:thumbs_up: loving the new look :clap:

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

H. erectus wrote:
Yap, the new look is a good improvement
together with a new monitor it actually appeals.

But please keep them buttons were they were!!

hmmm, can you let me know which buttons you are referring to?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

arks wrote:
I suppose that the majority rules, so that if most forumites don't mid the smaller font size ... but I find it a real obstacle to my enjoyment of the forum! :(

Hey Arks,

I thought the chocolate would win you over ;)

Can I ask you a favour, if you can - can you send me a full screen print of the forum without you modifying the font size manually? You can email it to me: steven.macintyre@sanparks.org

Many thanks

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

stevenjm wrote:
arks wrote:
I suppose that the majority rules, so that if most forumites don't mid the smaller font size ... but I find it a real obstacle to my enjoyment of the forum! :(

Hey Arks,

I thought the chocolate would win you over ;)

Can I ask you a favour, if you can - can you send me a full screen print of the forum without you modifying the font size manually? You can email it to me: steven.macintyre@sanparks.org

Many thanks

Chocolate is a weakness that I'm trying to curb, so bad timing on that :wink:

I don't know how to do a full screen print ... can you tell me what I need to do? (I use Firefox)

And meanwhile, I'm SO happy with the menus on the availability pages, that has made a HUGE difference for me in checking availability. Thanks again for that! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 am 

arks wrote:

I don't know how to do a full screen print ... can you tell me what I need to do? (I use Firefox)

Arks, there should be a button on your keyboard labelled something like prt sc or prt scr. It will be towards the right of your keyboard on the top line. You may need to press the ctrl button, depending on your keyboard.

Pressing that key puts a picture of your desktop into the clipboard. You will just need to open a new Word document and ctrl V or Paste and you should get a picture of your desktop. Warning this works for Windows, if you are on a Mac then I have no idea...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
arks wrote:

Arks, there should be a button on your keyboard labelled something like prt sc or prt scr. It will be towards the right of your keyboard on the top line. You may need to press the ctrl button, depending on your keyboard.

Pressing that key puts a picture of your desktop into the clipboard. You will just need to open a new Word document and ctrl V or Paste and you should get a picture of your desktop. Warning this works for Windows, if you are on a Mac then I have no idea...

:gflower: Thanks, saraf, it worked just fine!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

arks wrote:
saraf wrote:
arks wrote:

:gflower: Thanks, saraf, it worked just fine!

Thanks Saraf :gflower: , Arks, I have your email - will get back to you soon on it :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flutterby wrote:
I downloaded Google Chrome yesterday, and the forum is looking much better....I was really battling with the old Google! :roll:

:thumbs_up: The new chrome, or actually any new browser is better in leaps and bounds - but sometimes people are very adverse to change, if I had my way, one browser to rule them all - Google Chrome!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

salamanda wrote:
Is it just me, or has the forum print become smaller in the last few years? I haven't noticed this anywhere else on the net but I am having to limit my attendance on this forum because I find it a strain to read such small print.

Hi Salamanda,

You are right, the forum font is slightly smaller and it now matches the site - we are attempting to find something that will work so we can increase it without hurting the aesthetics of the site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next