Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Locked Posts / Off topic threads / Dreams for our future
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When a thread becomes boring , maybe it should then be spin-binned :roll: Certainly would lighten the mood :D

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 am 

Okie, it takes a special type of member to appreciate being chucked into the Spin Bin .... one with a great sense of humour. And yes, there are some members who are able to lighten the mood, and really do bring a good chuckle, especially in the Spin Bin, and you are one of them :clap: :clap:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Why , thank you , DB :thumbs_up:

Life is certainly too short :naughty:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:35 am 

Just seen this quote on FB. I think it is rather apt to post it here.

Before fighting fire with fire remember that the Fire Department usually uses water!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hmmmm :hmz: I think there's something stirring in the broom cupboard ............ :big_eyes:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:56 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Life is much like a pendulum. It often swings to the one extreme and then to the other.

Hopefully it always returns to a balanced centre.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Never really could get to the grips of it!!

A spin bin!! Seems very nauseating at
the best of times!! Fair enough but when
will someone empty the bin?????? Ugh..

Post subject: off topic
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 am 

Off topic posts have been merged with the relevant topic. Please also refer to Rule # 19.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:52 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Imberbe wrote:
Life is much like a pendulum. It often swings to the one extreme and then to the other.

Hopefully it always returns to a balanced centre.

:clap: Yes, but if it's swinging, it HAS to pass the centre; just hope it stays there for a decent time-period. :pray:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We designed the pendulum so as to
find it's own happy centre.!!!!! So, if
one day that pendulum comes flying
past like a huge see-saw and... but...
does not return as usuall????? then
WHAT

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well then you will know that there
be big trouble at the carnival!!! Especially
when all tend to lean in one direction!!

Post subject: Locking of topics
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

While I do not wish to cause any trouble or create any sort of conflict, I do feel that topics are being blocked too quickly and in some cases unnecessarily. I accept the fact that steps need to be taken to prevent malicious, accusatory amd other unnecessary comments especially if they are made against individuals. However I believe that it is not necessary to block topics in all cases e.g. the poaching topic. While I do accept that a line has to be drawn between what is considered an acceptable topic and what is not and I fully support the blocking of any topics falling under the latter category I believe more effort should be placed on dealing with the individuals who make such unnecessary comments rather than blocking the discussion outright. My reasons are firstly bocking the topic outright may constitue collective punishment and secondly because this only helps in the short term because it does not stop offenders from making inappropriate comments elsewhere on the forum.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on the subject.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:05 pm 

Hi There,

I just found that Topic now :whistle: . Anyway I have an Idea what can be done befor locking a Thread. I thought about a 3 Step plan.

1) Give a hint that this topic is watched now
2) Direckt Warning in the Forum itself
3) Offenders must be warnen via PM

The last ressort will be a lock down. But please mods, if you are locking a Thread explain why. Evenso I have a long break in between, I´m a long member participating. Quite often Topics are locked without any explination. For the Forumites it will be much better and understandable when you are giving an exampel when locking a Thread.

I don´t know who mentionend it, but one of the Post stattet that you may have to many Rules, well I agree to that. Because the Border between Nature an Non SANP activities is quite low. So If we are allowed to post recomondation, evenso not SANP related, will have a positive Marketing effeckt too. The Times are over where you can stand alone, Cooperation are the keys now to have success. I have the concerns, if to many rules exist that people (aware or not desn´t matter in this case) don´t obey. I´m serious, I don´t want to make trouble at all but I have done mistakes aswell, where I post something which actually was edited we could discuss about Censorship either, but that is another Story) without my knowlidge that I have done something wrong.

Evenso it will be your aim, to draw always a positiv line, but plaese take in Consideration, when negative Coments according to SANP occur, that the Reputation, by dealing with this Problem properly, will increase aswell. And a good reputation will be a good Marketing Tool.

Just to avoid missunderstanding, I´m glad that the Mods exist. I´m glad that they are taking the Forum seriously. But sometimes they exaggerate in my oppinion and showing there power unnecacarely. Just one example we are old enough, to tell somebody he/she is crossing a prive line. But even that I´m not allow to tell, its task of the mods, which I want to disagree. In some cases I´m really scared that i write something where the Mods see an offending action. And that is the point I´don´t want to do. I know you as mod have a tough life in Forum. I know that but maybe you can take criticks next time in consiedration.

Nobody is perfekt. I hope you could find some Ideas.

Best regards

Malealea

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I notice this topic is more than 4 years old. But I believe it is very still relevant to refresh ourselves (new and long standing members) with the rules of the forum before posting. After all when registering to the forum we agreed to the terms and rules of the forum.

Rules are there to prevent chaos and to ensure the forum is a friendly place with respect towards other members to discuss matters even if we disagree.

I'm also active on other forums where it is strictly moderated by moderators. If a post or topic is breaching the rules it is being locked or removed without notice to the member. And there is no fuss about it afterwards. Moderators have to see to it that a forum run smoothly and if they don't then such a forum becomes a unfriendly place.

The rules here is very clear and also states the platform on how the moderators will moderate the forum. And if a post gets edited, removed or a topic get locked, then I believe we should rather asked ourselves whether we have kept the rules in mind when posting than rather turn our anger out on the moderators who has just done the job that they volunteer to do.

Well, this is my opinion on the subject.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:52 pm 

Hi Markus,

Well that rules mus exist is absolutley clear. Without Rules we will have Anarchie. Anyway if you have to many rules you could block a development. I guess that is the Point. At a certain Stage, with this Set of Regulations, Topics may run out which means SANP coul create a Dry out. Of Course it is just a possible way but the danger shouldn´t be underestimated.

Well you said, that you are in another Forum, where the rules are even strikter, might be right, but is this correckt? Well that is another Story. About Locking yes I agree, before Problems like a fight occur make a Time Out, but wouldn´t be possible to make a Temporary Time out? If you have a Forum with a lot of Locked topics, that doesn´t look good at all.

About Editing, the Laws from a Country is always higher then the laws of an Internetplattform. Deleting or changing the thread, is a kind of Censorship. Which is actually in Germany seldom allowed. Therefor I see dangers there aswell. But you are correckt maybe I´m just to pessemestic.

BEST REGARDS
ML

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next