SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Resupply in Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jimbo,

Welcome to the forum! Don't rely on anything from the shop at Sendelingsdrift - especially stuff like cold drinks, meat or firewood. Been there to find nothing but a few bottles of water in their fridges. Must be the worst shop in any of SANParks. Same with fuel; no unleaded fuel is available at Sendelingsdrift, leaded fuel and diesel is mostly available. I've filled up with diesel there before but saw posts from people complaining about dirty diesel from their pumps.

PS.: There are a few Richtersveld trip reports here

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Weskusklong and a very warm welcome to the forums Jimbo there are a few Richtersveld topics here in the index also

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:36 am 

many thanks for the "heads-up" I will re-supply in port Nolloth. thanks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Or Alexander Bay Jimbo...just a schlep to get into the (mining)town. Have to sign in at the gate. Enjoy!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:12 am 

Ok, I have been told that Alexander Bay is relatively poorly equipped. I will see what I can find out further. thanks.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Jimbo.

I would stock up at PN or even Springbok, which has the city supermarkets, if the timing is right.

Alex Bay has petrol as WKK says, and I would fill up there and maybe have a jerry can or 2 as well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:15 pm 

Thanks Bush Baptist, we are first visiting the Namaqua National Park and then travelling up the coast via Port Nolloth and Alexander Bay. I have phoned Spar in Port Nolloth and they seem to have what I need. Will probably stock up on enough fuel in Alexander Bay for approx 800km.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Jimbo, Alex is a self sufficient mining town, from what I can remember the shop isn't that bad - typical Kwik Save, there's a liquor store as well for liquid refreshments. The garage is outside the gate so no need to sign in for fuel. Before we had a fridge/freezer, we once drove from the Park to Alex - for ice.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:37 pm 

Ok thanks. I also travel without electric coolers. Nice to know.

Post subject: Richtersveld - Camps
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all
It seems there is very little on the forum regarding the camps in the Richtersveld. I have a few questions, maybe someone can help!?

- Are all the units in Sendelingsdrift camp close to the river? With a view? Are some better than other (view wise?)
- Is there a shop / restaurant at Sendelingsdrift camp?
- Are the kitchens well equipped? (pots, pans, bowls, utensils?)

Tatasberg camp:
- On the photo of the accommodation it seems there is also a view on a river - is this correct?

Gannakouriep camp:
- Are the units all the same? Re the view?

If I am coming from Limpopo / Gauteng, which gate will be the best for us to enter the park?
Are these 3 camps the only ones with accommodation units?
Is there a distance table for the distances in the Park? Ex Sendelingsdrift to Tatasberg?

Does anyone have some photo's of the camps?

Post subject: Rowing Kayaking in Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:13 am 

We plan to stay at Richtersberg, De Hoop and Potjiespram in July 2012. Can one take your own kayak and row on the Orange river, say from Ricthersberg to De Hoop or further? What about mountain biking? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Would you recommend going to Ais Ais over the pont at Sendelingdrift?

Never been to the Richtersveld, but done many 4 X 4 trips to Botswana.

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld - Camps
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kingfisha,

I cannot answer all your questions, but there are a few I can answer from 1st hand experience:

The Sendelingsdrift chalets are more or less in a straight row all along the river bank. Haven't been to them all but if one has a better view than another it will be marginal - the riverside is steep and overgrown so not a wonderful view but you are quite close to the water. The chalets kitchens are very well stocked - you shouldn't need anything drastically.

Apparently the situation will change soon but the shop at Sendelingsdrift camp is very badly stocked. Don't rely on anything from there, including fuel from the garage. No unleaded fuel is stocked at any time.

Tatasberg camp has a lovely view on the river, but some distance from the shoreline.

Don't know about Gannakouriep camp.

There are only two ways to enter the Park on the SA side. Most commonly from the southern gate. Can be reached via either Kubus/Eksteenfontein/Lekkersing/Alexander Bay. All depends what type of approach you want - ranging from serious 4x4 to tar/dirt roads. Then there is the pontoon from the Namibian side. You can get there via the N7 - through the Vioolsdrift/Noordoewer border post. Either way you need to sign in at Sendelingsdrift before entering the Park proper. If you have a look at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30206, you will see there are a few trip reports with a lot of information, listed under the Ai-Ais / Richtersveld heading, including one of my own with some photos. Calculating travelling times based only on distances is difficult. It all depends on the status of the "roads" in the ravines. At this point in time, the roads are mostly badly corrugated. The Park needs some serious rain to get rid of the corrugations, to reinstate the Park as a 4x4 destination.

Edited later:

I found this map I posted some time ago. The sections in red are deep sand and should be negotiated with great care. Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Rowing Kayaking in Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Lamps,

Welcome to the forum,

Nothing stops you from kayaking on the river - don't know how far you can go downstream but you can most certainly row from Richterberg to De Hoop. Just be careful where you go onshore downstream towards Potjespram as some of the land is mined by Alexcor.

I've used the pontoon before. Very convenient and adventurous but really not a reliable means of getting to Sendelingsdrift. The pontoon gets damaged/pulled out of service during flood waters quite often, consequently can be out of action for weeks at a time. Phone Sendelingsdrift to inquire before leaving home.

I'm a biker myself and also looked into the idea of biking in the Park. It would be fairly difficult on most of the roads. The road surface is very loose - mostly river sand that will really test your biking skills (certainly for me :lol: ). Here's a typical example:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 pm 

Baie dankie Weskusklong. Nou raak ek eers opgewonde oor die trip. Ons sal die eerste 2 aande op Port Nolloth slaap, dalk sien ons jou sommer daar (toemaar ek weet die Weskus is lank, ons het in 2009 van Hondeklip Baai op die tweespoor paadjie langs die see afgetoer. Dit was afgesonder en Great). Groete van Joburg.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 pm 

Ons was so agtien maande terug in die Richtersveld. By die Tatasberg kamp het ons twee roeiers op die rivier gesien, dink hulle het verder stroomaf gekamp. Het na pret gelyk.

Hier's die foto...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunscreen/6622083027/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next