Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Your Fondest memory of the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm 

I remember as a little girl, my dad took us to the Kruger in his bright red Ford Cortina, and I was so scared we might chase the animals away with this. But, one early morning we left the camp in pouring rain. My dad had to carry me to the car still sleeping.

Not long after we came across a lion kill in the middle of the road RIGHT next to the bright red Cortina.

Needless to say, my heart was very sore when he eventually sold the car when I turned 18.

We had so many great trips in that car, as my dad took us back to Kruger every year.

What is your fondest memory?

Post subject: Re: Your Fondest memory of the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm 
The days when there was still communal fires in the camps where everyone could come and braai or collect coals for the braai at your accommodation.

And the large hot water urns with coal fires underneath.

Paraffin lamps at chalets.

None of the above brought the ultimate in luxury but they sure did something for tranquility and camaraderie.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 pm 

All my grandparents stay in the lowveld and my fondest memories are from either one granny or both taking us to the kruger most school holidays - whether it was for a day trip or maybe sleeping over :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Stelliegp123 it would be a Kruger dinner with my parents in the camp restaurant after the dinner was announced by drums :D . Those set menu’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner were just great :thumbs_up:. Usually after the fish and soup we kids were no longer hungry but we still demanded to have pudding which we could not finish :naughty: (from mom and dad). By the time we returned to our hut we were so tired that we fell asleep as soon as we were between the cool sheets and dreamt of all the Kruger animals and birds that we saw and those that we will see the next day. In the 2012 Kruger Memories calendar there is a fine photo of diners in the Skukuza Restaurant during, if I am not mistaken, the 1950’s.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 pm 

Yup those were the days.
Some of my fondest memories of those days were when we left for KNP at night and arrived at the entrance gate - usually at Numbi - and then joined the queue of vehicles parked at the road side. There would be campfires, people braaiing, walking up and down, chatting, children playing - everyone in good spirits. People trying to sleep in sleeping bags next to their vehicles. This was in the good 'ol sixties. Great memories of days long gone.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:46 pm 
Safari Gal wrote:
Joao - I agree with you entirely PLUS the days when you didnt need a key for your chalet and nothing ever went missing :roll:

Safari Gal I can remember that my parents always told their friends that Kruger is the safest place to go on holiday.

As you say you did not lock anything when in the park.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:57 pm 

Joao - no keys, leave money, cameras, you name it, in the chalets and you KNEW it would all still be there when you came back from your drive (unless ofcourse the monkeys had got in there first)! Could not believe it the first time I was given a key for my chalet - it was such a shock!
Ho hum! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:25 pm 

On reflection, I have SO many wonderful memories of Kruger over the past 30 odd years - but I honestly think my most favourite memories, and the happiest place I have ever been in the Park (or anywhere else in the whole world for that matter) MUST be at Jock of the Bushveld Camp, as it was in the 'old days'. What a fabulous camp that used to be - I spent my 50th there, my daughter had her 21st there and in between the many happy family holidays we had at that remarkable camp before it was turned into a commercial camp. Always remember Timothy who worked there - what a wonderful person he is/was (last time I saw him he was working at Berg en Dal).
Once, when we arrived and were busy un-packing the provisions, the staff came and asked if we wanted to see a leopard (as if I was going to say 'no thanks I would rather unpack the car' - yeah right!), and there was this magnificent male leopard walking all the way in front of the lodge in the dry river bed.
Happy days!
Is there perhaps a previous thread about the old Jock of the Bushveld Camp? Would love to see it if there was one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 pm 

A very fond memory for me, is the 1L cold drinks (still in refundable glass bottles) that we used to buy out of old and somewhat dilapidated freezers, at lookout points such as Mlondozi and Nkumbe. These were always treasured during the long hot days.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I can also remember the drums sounding the call to diners that supper was ready to be served. As a young boy that always sent shivers of excitement through me.

I also used to relish going to watch the wildlife documentaries that were shown at the in-camp 'cinemas'. This being an attempt to soak up even more of the magnificent wildlife that I had already seen during the course of the day.

And finally, I remember how enormous Kruger really used to feel. This when I was still young and didn't have a proper concept of direction/time/boundary lines/etc, and before I could start recognizing the roads that I had already traveled on any given trip. I really felt as though I was in a completely different world. It was absolute bliss.

Luckily, I will be there again on Tuesday, and will be able to make new memories upon which to back. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:57 am 

I also remember the drums at night,we used to run to watch them,I was also able to play all alone and walk around all by myself as a little girl. I would not let my daughter go anywhere alone now. I will be able to make new memories with my daughter as it will be her first trip and alos my first trip in more than 20 years. A trip I do remember as a little girl of about 10 was when one morning while driving my dad wanted some coffee and there was no teaspoon. He stopped,opened his door a little to look for a stick on the ground and when he picked one up he looked up and saw some lions under a tree a few metres away. My dad was a bit pale in the face!

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:47 am 

My fondest memory of the Kruger was when I was 6 years old, my parents and I had emigrated from England at it was 1977. My parents wanted to see “animals of Africa ' so we drove to the Kruger national park. I remember being very excited crossing a big river and then we were looking for animals. We must have been driving for only about 20 -30 minutes into the park and we found a Lioness walking down the road towards us ... She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. (I still getting goose bumps when I think about that day). I fell in love with this magical place right there and then. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It seems that we hold onto memories of people rather than sightings. 8)

I have many fond memories of Kruger with my own children. I have had many trips to Kruger, but every trip with any one of my children has been more than special.

One memory stands out though. One of my daughters was under severe pressure as a student. We spent only 3 nights in Kruger, and I seldom saw her face away from her computer. She had to complete a project and her anxiety levels were off the chart.

We spent our first night at Pretorius Kop and after an evening of rain soaked braai, we went for a walk... in the cloud covered dark. We strolled next to the perimeter fence, we had no torch... that is a bit of a MM thing. I needed her to be in the pitch dark and just listen. I often walk in total darkness, allowing all senses to be completely active.

I also wanted to impart a lesson, that obstacles do come our way, and that everything has a purpose.

"You are going to meet pit falls in your life", MM the wise said, sagely..."and you might fall flat on your face"..

Just then I stepped into a Leguane, or something hole. My daughter watched me disappear, completely disappear.. and fall flat on my face

What a wonderful moment, a moment of such honesty :lol: :lol: :lol: humility.. joy.

I remember it with such affection.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:52 am 
Bobong wrote:
My fondest memory? Well, back in 1985 coming over to SA from America to visit my uncle and him taking me to Phalaborwa and then on to Olifants for two nights. Swore and oath that one day I would live here – and 26 years later… Here I am. THAT is the impact Kruger had on me. :D

Bobong this is truly encouraging.
Dreams can come true!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:17 pm 

Fondest memory of being in the KNP is the early morning drive, stopping at the favorite lookout point and having coffee and Ouma rusks!. Then later when it is warm having lovely
lowveld oranges and some biltong.
As an ex-pat SA now living in the northern hemisphere we miss these things tremendously. Trying to keep the traditions going, we make our own biltong and droee wors. Somehow it is not the same as the real SA version. If there is any butcher out there that would not mind sharing in the secret of the proper way to make these things, would you kindly E-mail me. We would be very grateful. We do not nearly get enough chances to visit SA.
:)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Last year I took my two grown up sons aged 19 and 23 and eldest's girlfriend to Kruger for 10 days.
The boys had been to Africa before but my eldest had not been back for 9 years. He left home to follow his girl to another state 2000km away when he was just 17. The ten days in Kruger and the following 10 elsewhere was the longest time I had spent with him in 6 1/2 years. That first sundowners at Shimuwini with all four of us relaxing and soaking in the atmosphere of the bush, chatting and joking as we fired up the braai was an experience to treasure as a mum. :)