Skip to Content

Camping info & camping essentials

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping Equipment Reviews and Advice

Unread postby RobertT » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:03 pm

The alternative is to also make sure SO is always heavier than yourself. That way she sqeezes all the air under you.

I also find if after the first evening it goes a little soft, pump it up early morning when the air is still cool instead of using the warmer air of mid day afternoon which contracts when it gets cooler in the night.

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread postby JenB » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Good buy! :thumbs_up:

Satara.... :mrgreen: have a wonderful time, I'm sure you'll sleep well. :dance:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:24 am

VANPTA wrote:Hi JenB

Thank you for your reply, it really made me giggle!!! hahaha

Advice noted and agreed, I bought myself the sinlge high queen size coleman a couple of days ago, will be testing it in Kruger at Satara tomorrow night, will have a review once im back and let you know if it survived!

Use a groundsheet under your tent, 'de-mine' the area before you pitch your tent, and take a puncture repair kit with you. Might also be an idea to take a small hand-pump as well you can keep in the tent in case of emergency in the middle of the night
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

VANPTA

Unread postby VANPTA » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:17 am

Hello all

The trip was a success!!!

I can officially recommend the single high queen Coleman blow up mattress!!!

Had a little air escape after the first night (due to the material expanding) but no other problem.
The Mrs complained about the ripple pattern on the top and said "why cant they just make it flat like a normal bed mattress"... I do agree but it didnt bug me as much.

Wishing you all great camping in future :D I will be visiting the KNP again in 2012 and will now look forward to my sleep!

JenB
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread postby JenB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:26 am

Welcome back!
..... And you saw what? :twisted:

Next time remember to pack an extra blanket to go under the sheet, it will smooth out the ripples and will also save your bacon if it gets cold at night.

Here's to good sleeping in the bush!
*clink* :dance:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

VANPTA

Unread postby VANPTA » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:39 am

Hi GenB

Great idea, will pack an extra blanket next time :D

Sightings:

Animals: elephant, lion, buffalo, leopard, white rhino, wild dog, kudu, impala, giraffe, zebra, cape clawless otter, bush buck, nyala, steenbok, klipspringer, small-spotted genet, crocodile, hippo, warthog, lots of squirrel and mongoose, baboon, vervet monkey, wildebeest, jackal, water monitor, waterbuck.

Birds: the usual + some rarer ones like saddle-billed stork, hooded vulture, southern ground hornbill... (we are not twitchers...)

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 pm

VANPTA wrote:Had a little air escape after the first night ......

Then be careful what you eat... :whistle:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Nimrod

Which camping freezer/fridge to buy?

Unread postby Nimrod » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi All

Going Camping in Addo in April for a week and thought , well I do camp a lot, so I think its time to buy a fridge/ freezer to keep meat fresh. Not keen on doing the fill up coolbag with ice every day.

I saw Outdoorwarehouse sell Waeco, Snowmaster and National Luna, and somebody mentioned Engel. So how do I choose? And what does everybody do? Do people buy the combo fridge and freezer or just one of the two?

Thanx

shfish

Re: Which camping freezer/fridge to buy?

Unread postby shfish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Nimrod
This subject has been extensively debated on other outdoor forums and no doubt, another long debate is going to start here!
I've just been through this whole process. You've got two options...absorption fridge/freezer or compressor type. The former are cheaper, allegedly not as efficient but often have the advantage of 3 way, ie, gas 12v or 220v. A compressor model will cost about 30% more than the absorption models and you will need a dual battery system in your car which will set you back another R4500. Because I'm inclined to settle in a camp site for at least 3 days, I decided to go for an absorption FREEZER from Zero(Cold Factor) which I set up on gas (if no 220v) and leave in peace.I've just been to Karoo in about 35 degrees and this unit FROZE contents. My intention is to freeze goodies in this unit and use a cooler box with ice out of the freezer as the fridge.
Good luck.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”