Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marakele
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Thanx Cassius! :thumbs_up:

Hope you get to see them Louis! :dance:
A great tip is to drive in the direction of the roaring the night before as soon as you can leave camp. Not laze around watching birds, that way you get to see no lion. Been there done that! :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The week end was to short :rtm:

Been to Marakele, nice trip we try to get the lion's but no hidding away.
Took a trip to the top of the mountain :big_eyes: my SO don't like it.

Saturday night the local gras cutters come to cut the gras at about 21h00.
Just a friendly warning to campers, PLEASE remeber these rhino's are wild they might be very tollerent towards ppl. We saw again how stupid and dum some ppl can be, walking in the dark closer to the rhino's while they are grazing in the camp. :doh: :doh: :doh:

The veld is nice and green, the camp site is like all the previos times that we've been at Marekele was clean all facilities was working and SPOTLESS
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: for all the staff at Marekele, even the reception lady and Mirian was very understanding and helpfull. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 am 

Louis!! :dance: :dance:
Glad you enjoyed Marakele! :dance:

We've been up the mountain many times and it's still a tummy curdling experience. :lol:

I think many people miss the point that the rhinos are used to people but they are still wild. You were very lucky to see them in camp over a weekend, I think they know to rather stay away when the camp is busy. It's wonderful that you got to see them! :D

Going back on the 1st of December!! Can't wait!! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:55 am 

Go check out my awesome pic of the mountains in marakele on my blog:
http://altiealtitude.wordpress.com/

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 pm 

Kumba Marakele Marathon - 3 March 2012

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:25 pm 
I think the drive up to the mountain top must rate as the scariest route in all the Sanparks.

Post subject: Marakele Info
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 am 

Hi guys.

Planning a trip to Marakele in late February, early March'2012. Have a few questions please. I'm traveling via Potch/ Klerksdorp to Marakele and looking for the quietest road possible (rural boy curse, i guess :D )
I picked up the possible opening of the tarred road section dividing park in two, any feedback on this and will this change anything when I visit? And the new camp being built near Bontle, EIS finished, will it be open?
I see no reports on any buffalo, so I guess the "corridor" situation has not been resolved? We will be travelling with small compact SUV with 190mm ground clearence, with 15" wheels, 4x2, but no diff lock and back wheel driven, how are the roads in the park?

Any adivice is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Marakele Info
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:41 am 

Hi Black Wildebeest,

Rather opt for the best route which is the one via Bela-Bela (Warmbaths). We've never traveled via Rustenburg so I cannot comment on that road but rather stay away from the one via Britz. The road was in very bad condition when we last went to Marakele which was on the 1st of December. They are working on it but I think it would take months to repair.

I'm not aware of a new tarred road section but there is a road currently dividing the park in two. See my post here. The bottom section is not big 5 although it holds the most beautiful animals and quite a number of them. :wink: It has never distracted from our visits, we are absolutely in love with the park. :)

No buffalo back in Marakele yet as far as I know but I believe that they would be reintroduced soon.

Under normal conditions the roads in the park are not bad but after heavy rains it becomes "interesting". :lol: The maintenance guys do their best to keep the roads in good condition tho. There are a few 4x4 tracks which you would not be able to drive but that should not be a problem. Please ask at reception for them to mark them on the map for you. The very best road in the park is the one up to the mountain and that one is tarred but very narrow and steep, quite the adventure! Do it!!

Which camp will you be staying at?

Enjoy Marakele!!! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:36 am 

Hi JenB

Taking that road @ Bela Bela would mean a 150km detour. Looking at driving via Ventersdorp-Rustenburg-Northam or via Groot Marico. Anybody driven that road lately?
We are looking at Tlopi tented camp, as me and my wife might be taking the kids with us.
JenB, I have seen you posted a lot of times on Marakele, so you seem to be the fundi :D , are there any hippo's or crocs in the park?
To be honest we are also looking at Borakalalo National Park, just north of Brits, as it seems to have better road networks (100 km's worth of gravel roads for all vehicles). Yes it doesn't have the ellies or the lions,or mountains, but seems nice also.
Still keeping options open though :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 am 

Black Wildebeest, I'm not an expert, just another Marakele junkie. :lol:

Unfortunately there is not enough open water in the park to support hippo and crocs although staying in Tlopi you'll get to meet huge catfish. So if you are sitting on the deck at night and you hear slurping noises, it's not a crocopotamus out to get you, it's the catfish admiring your dinner! :twisted:

Borakalalo is not SANParks so I cannot give you advise but trust me, SANParks it the best option! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:55 pm 

We stayed in Tlopi one night in Feb 2010 and found it to be a magical place. We saw a breeding herd of elephants coming down to drink from the dam, saw lots of plains game and was harrased by an ellie bull in musth en route to the camp.
One thing to remember about Marakele though is that it is not a big 5 park in the same sense as Kruger. Although lions are present your changes of seeing them are much lower than in Kruger. Scenery, Cape vultures and flora is in my opinion the main attraction at Marakele. Also driving up the mountain to the sentinal look-out point is an unforgetable experience.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 am 

Hey Everyone,

Scrolling through everyones advise has been most helpful. So thank you.
Just a quick question, I have seen it mentioned a couple times that Lourie is the best tent, followed by cormorant and barbet.
But, how do you go about booking a specific tent? Or do you have to rely on luck of the draw.

Thanks again.

Rob

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Sorry Rob cant help you as we camped but all the tents look nice

Here is a view from the top of the "hill
Image"

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just wondering, is Marakele a malaria-risk park? I'll be visiting both Marakele and Mapungubwe (as well as northern KNP) in April and need to work out when I need to start with the malaria meds :roll:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marakele is malaria free so no need to take meds but do remember the tabard or the like. Enjoy you are in for a treat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next