Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Romantic Dinner at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The Selati restaurant was done up completely recently, with a new menu, so older posts probably give you a wrong picture....

The best to do is scout out the location and after deciding the where simply ask for the manager. Explain the situation and request that table at the time you want. I would be rather surprised if they do not cooperate.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 pm 

At Skukuza I would definitely go for the main restaurant with a table on the terrace overlooking the river - hopefully the weather will be good - enjoy and Happy Anniversary to you both :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If I were you I would definetely ask if they are doing a bush braai this night. As far as I know they want a minimum of four people to do it but in Skukuza you might have a good chance. After all I have heard it must be a wonderful and, if you are lucky, very exciting experience :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:02 pm 

Don't let the Braai in Bush Braai, put you off Gabriel33. It is a very 'posh' affair, and very romantic.

But nothing wrong with the restaurant option either :thumbs_up:

If my SO was planning a such a treat for me, I would be thrilled with the restaurant :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: What do you think of Skukuza?
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
I used to stay there a lot, but as one 'matures' in Kruger, one likes things a bit quieter.

I have to disagree in some ways. Skukuza to me is great and my folks and older members of my family have rediscovered the greatness of this place. The huts near the Selati restaurant are very quiet in Summer and the views over the river are amazing. If you are up and at the gate at 430 you generally get to the gate first and if not then you have about 10 routes to take to avoid other cars.

I also love the great history of Skukuza and the area is great for viewing.

I think the reason people have a bad time in Skukuza is because they expect the same as other other camps in the park. This is a big mistake as each camp has its own personalitiy and you have to appreciate the, for what they are.

Skukuza is a town with all the things like a police station, post office, airport etc. I think its great that there is a town in South Africa completely in the middle of the bush. If you look at it this way Skukuza is a real gem.

I also used to have to visit Skukuza during work to go to the police station, drop staff at the doctor and organise post and banking stuff. It was an absolute highlight for me arriving there and I used to organise it so I had 30mins for a quick toasted sandwich under the fig trees on the river bank - it was always the best - such great memories!!

Post subject: Re: Skukuza Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:03 pm 

My husband and me went to the KNP on a quick trip from Friday to Tuesday last week. Saturday morning, on our way to Skukuza, we discovered that our battery of the camera is nearly flat!! What a disaster. We went to Skukuza and enjoyed their buffet breakfast. It is really the best breakfast I have ever seen. The variety of food, the freshness of the food, the attitude of the waiters. Everything was very good. We ask Samuel if we can charge our battery. He, himself, looked for a plug for the battery and a table next to the plug where we can sit. He really went out of his way to help us. During the breakfast he came back again and again to find out if everything was in order. This was service. I really would like to ask if one of you are in the restaurant please say "hallo" to Samuel. He is really a good employee of the South African National Parks! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Skukuza cottages/guest houses
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We have stayed in the Waterkant 2 (GW2) family cottage for three days last week :D .
We liked the enclosed kitchenette on the stoep in front of the braai and it was nice sitting outside during the evenings.
We saw a thick tailed bush baby chasing a mouse in the tree at the braai one night and a lonely bushbuck next to the perimeter fence late one afternoon just before nightfall.
It was interesting to see the old Selati railway tracks right next to the perimeter fence of the cottage for historical reasons and perhaps also to dream of and to remember the steam train safari’s of days gone by as a bit of nostalgia can do no harm.
There is also a green iron structure almost like a bench to be seen next to the tracks but we do not really know what it is or whether it is indeed historical or not.
It was full moon during our stay which added to the overall character of the cottage and surrounding bush. It was very hot :shock: .
The smell of the sun drenched veldt was very distinct at dusk.
At 18:30 one evening we returned from the shop and the thermometer in the car still indicated a sultry 35 degrees Celsius!
Early mornings when we went to explore the surrounding roads we could see and feel the mercury rising as we prefer open windows to aircon when in Kruger to match the freedom of the never ending veldt or at least it seems like it is never ending.
Nevertheless we had such a great time with many good sightings.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Which will be a quieter more wooded spot?
A bungalow, BD2E, on left /west side of camp on main road to most bungalows (and Convention centre), across road from dog cemetary or:-
A bungalow, BD3, on east /right of camp near road to Selati restaurant and close to camping area?
Has anyone stayed near these areas? :hmz:
Many thanks!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm 

Hello Kite,

I did stay in BD2E in unit no 4. That corner was really quite and at night i could hear a hyena close by. Have no idea bout BD3 as i haven't stayed there.

i guess it depends on your neighbours too :) we were lucky to have quite ones.

Post subject: Church in Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am 

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anybody can tell me:

We are going to the park over Easter weekend and would really like to attend a church service on good Friday (morning). Will there be a service on Good Friday at the church in Skukuza, at what time and are we as visitors allowed to attend????????? :pray: :pray:

Anja

Post subject: Re: Church in Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Anja, we were at Skukuza last week. There was a notice at the shop stating that everyone is welcome to join the Church services on Sunday mornings, so I presume Good Friday will be fine as well. Maybe SANParks can confirm this with times, etc.

Post subject: Re: Church in Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes, just to confirm. There is a church in the staff village opposite the primary school. Though it is a Dutch Reformed Church (NG Kerk) anybody is welcome to attend. Services are in Afrikaans in the mornings, though there used to be English services in the evening. I am not sure whether this is still the case.

Contact Rev. Carel Lourens at 013 7355424.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:10 pm 

Hi there - some advise please. We are staying at Skukuza later in the year. I am looking for BEST view possible - I think it is between LR2W (SEMI LUXURY RIVERSIDE BUNGALOW ) or GC4V (Guest Cottage)
any suggestions which option to go for?? many thanks in advance

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Suebfly

I have stayed in both. The LR2W is located west of the restaurant, while the GC4V cottage is lower down on the bank of the river to the east side of Skuz.

My opinion is that both have almost the same view on the river.

The GC4C is a very nice cottage with a kitchen, 2 bedrooms en-suite, big patio and braai on the grass. We had a wonderful stay there. On the other hand, the LR2W is a unit with one bedroom, big bathroom, patio with a modern built-in braai on the patio. It is much smaller, but very stylish and modern. It was very nice to stay there too :lol:

But again :doh: the view on the river is the same :hmz:

Post subject: Self catering in Skukuza bungalows
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am 

Hello to all.

We are newbies to the forum so hope we are posting in the correct place.

We are travelling from Australia, and in April will be coming for our second [but not last] stay in KNP. We have booked four camps over two weeks and cannot wait. Our last stay was only for 5 days, when we stayed in Lower Sabie and Satara bungalows.

My question relates to the cooking facilities in the LR2W [semi luxury riverside] bungalows at Skukuza. We are hoping to do quite a bit of self catering this time and at all camps have booked bungalows with kitchens again. However on looking at photos of the LR2W kitchens it appears that some do not have stovetop/ hotplates which we would need for cooking and heating food. There appears to be some kind of oven in the wall but not quite sure, also we are not quite sure if there are utensils, crockery, pots and pans etc provided in these bungalows.

The other camps we have booked do mention all these items so it just a little confusing, can anyone please enlighten us on this.

Thank you

2013:

Croc Bridge 27-29 October
Skukuza 30 oct -5 November
Satara 6-10 November
Olifants 11-12 November
Greater Kruger 13 -18 November

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next