Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

Bushmom
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Malaria in March

Unread postby Bushmom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 am

We are going in December and strangely enough, the person least worried about malaria is my daughter's gyneacologist (she will be 7 months pregnant at the time)! He just told her to put on lashings of anti-mozzie stuff, keep her arms and legs covered from late afternoon and take the other usual precautions (no pills). He did say "no camping" though.
Remember that every mosquito is not a malaria carrier.
The world is truly round and seems to start and end with those we love...
Nelson Mandela
December '12????
1-6 May '13

Andreas_79

Unread postby Andreas_79 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:04 am

Bushmom wrote:Remember that every mosquito is not a malaria carrier.

That´s true - but also remember that one bite can be enough!

In March it is still rain season and especially after the wet months January and February the risk of Malaria is higher than usual as there are more mosquitos around than in the drier months.

Bushmom wrote:He did say "no camping" though.
Why not?
http://www.mywildlifephotos.de - Oktober 2011: new photos from my trip to Kenya and the Serengeti.

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:16 am

Heya Samantha :D

When we have been in March or December, we havn't taken anything against Malaria and we have been never had trouble :) Just repellent before sun goes down and keep applying around the braai.
But I don't want you to take this to heart then I'm to blame that your sister's kiddies get malaria :big_eyes: Rather safe than sorry :wink:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Mant

Unread postby Mant » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 am

Hi Cheetah2111,

We've been to the Kruger quite a few times in March and never had any trouble with mosquitoes. We've just used mosquito repellent and been very careful not to go out after dark.

PS - Don't worry I won't blame you.

Thanks,

Samantha
Kruger 2015
Satara - 21-24 March

Bundi

Unread postby Bundi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:31 am

I have three children ranging between 14 and 2 years and they have all gone to Kruger at least six times a year, since they were born. My wife will be four months pregnant in December when we go again (I know, I know............ I need to go for the snip).

BTW we use a caravan, never uses malaria medication, but always make sure about repellant and we have never had a problem.

I am not saying to ignore any advise, but I am saying to use the good advise and discard the rest.

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Even though Kruger is a low risk malaria area, Late summer (March-May) are the highest risk times.

I would give the kids malaria meds AND be sure they don't get bitten by spraying them with anti bug formulaes late afternoon, and burning coils, spraying the chalet, or using mozzie mats before your afternoon drive etc to create a safe area to sleep in.

Biggest thing to remember is that if the child weighs less than 25kg, it is difficult to treat them if they do contract malaria.

Bushmom
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushmom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Andreas_79 wrote:
Why not?

The nearer the ground, the greater the risk!
The world is truly round and seems to start and end with those we love...
Nelson Mandela
December '12????
1-6 May '13

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dotty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Here is a lot of information about this subject
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

Chacma

Unread postby Chacma » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm

My father-in-law got malaria at Balule and died. He loved the KNP and his ashes are scattered there. We are very concientious about taking all precautions. Don't be complacent, it can happen to anyone.

Andreas_79

Unread postby Andreas_79 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Bushmom wrote:
Andreas_79 wrote:
Why not?

The nearer the ground, the greater the risk!

Never heard about this before. But as a bed is usually only half a meter or so above the ground that doesn´t make a big difference to me, to be honest.

Anyway...............i caught malaria last year in autumn in Mozambique. I know Mozambique is a different story. But even in Mozambique there were less mosquitos around at this time of the year and i got bitten only once. But this one bite was "lucky shot" and i can only tell you that it was a very bad experience. Although i got treated within 48 hours after the breakout i felt so bad for three days like i never felt before.

What i am trying to say - don´t panic about malaria but never underestimate it. It is vicious.
http://www.mywildlifephotos.de - Oktober 2011: new photos from my trip to Kenya and the Serengeti.

Chacma

Unread postby Chacma » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 am

I guess that what the doctor meant by "no camping" is that in a camping environment you are more exposed to the elements, e.g. if you get up at night or in the early morning with a pressing need to go to the toilet, you are unlikely to be fully protected from mosquitos, while in a cottage you are.

Chacma

Re: Malaria

Unread postby Chacma » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 am

Malaria is no reason not to go to KNP, as long as you take all the precautionary steps. We always use Tabard and light coils outside morning and evening, and take Doxycycline.

To those people who don't take any medication, that is your own personal choice, but it is my personal opinion that not giving it to your children, who don't have that choice, is basically negligence.

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 am

Well, the onus is on a tourist to find what precautions in the areas they are visiting are needed, and then to take sensible precautions to minimise risk to health. This applies not only to malaria, but to any other diseases or risks where one is going.

Children indeed often face a much higher risk of morbidity and mortality related to many diseases, and so people need to be extra cautious with the preventative measures for children. Sometimes, it is wiser not to put one's children at unnecessary risk.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi everyone. Just a reminder that visitors to Kruger National Park and Mapungubwe, and any other designated malaria areas in Southern Africa (or anywhere in the world for that matter) (consult a malaria map or speak to a knowledgeable health professional) need to seriously consider using antimalarial medication, in addition to non-drug measures. In high-risk malarial areas, anti-malarial medication plus non-drug measures are the recommendations of SANParks, the World Health Organisation, and the South African Department of Health, amongst other important organisations involved with malaria and its prevention. If you're unsure if you can/should use effective antimalarial measures, please ask a knowledgeable professional in this regard.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby normana53 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:52 pm

We typically take all precautions that we can. no exposed skin in the evenings and at night, we use DEET based repellants and I take Malarone. My SO can't take any of the Anti-Malarials that are prescribed here in the states for our visits as they make her so ill that she can't function. Don't know what else to do for her, though she does take all other necessary precautions.

Personally Malarone's only effect on me is how it changes my dreams - when taking it I have very strange - bizarre dreams that are overly vivid.
In search of creatures great and small, Kruger here we come!
Flight Booked, Kruger Booked, can't wait for November, 2015

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”