Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kruger - wildlife icon of South Africa
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
I would like to know if anyone has reviewed this new book "Kruger - wildlife icon of South Africa"by Heinrich van den Berg? :hmz:

Consider obtaining a copy for my collection with "Prime rigins guide to Exploring Kruger" and Peter Derichs guide - "Kruger National Park". :thumbs_up:

Kaapsedraai
--------
10 - 19 Dec'11 central to northern Kruger

Post subject: Re: Kruger - wildlife icon of South Africa
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kaapsedraai,

In my opinion the book has very little info. about kruger for a fan.

There are lots of nice pics to start with and then several pages of pics of the main animals with a bit (i mean a bit) of info.

A nice book to have but too few pics for a great photo book and not enough info on kruger to make it worth the while if you have any other kruger books(eg Prime origins)

very little info. on camps, roads etc, more an animal photo book with a little bit about kruger in it.

Definitly have a look at a copy before you buy.

John

Month in Kruger July/August 2015

Post subject: Re: Kruger - wildlife icon of South Africa
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Thank you, John.
I have already purchased a copy. I agree fully with your summary :thumbs_up: . The photo's are double page spread ones, hence not a lot of pics in this 160 page book. On a positive, the pics are great which help you to consider some angles for your next Kruger-visit and ideas if you consider your own photobook. On a negative, you go through this book very quickly leaving you feel 'stranded', especially considering the price. The info is basic, especially if you already got other books on Kruger and not complimenting them.

What would have been nice is if there were details where the pics were taken and perhaps have more single page spread photo's and more pics with location details surrounding the experience when taking the pics. Behind every pic there is a special 'moment' and this would have enriched the experiece for the reader, especially if they have never been to Kruger and for those who have and can relate to those special moments - stirring up your own moments inside, especially in the time when you have to wait the time out until your next trip.

I guess the target audience for this book is perhaps those that has never visited Kruger wanting to experience Kruger in a way. So, if you are a seasoned Kruger visitor, then you, might want to look before you buy. :hmz:

Kaapsedraai.