Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:45 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
I live on a sugar cane farm, there are four houses a Park Home and a Lodge on the Farm. Yes, my garden is quite big and so is the house we live in which was built in 1964 by my parents. (I would much rather live in a smaller quaint little cottage!) The garden is about a Hectare in size, (takes about a day and a half to mow the lawn!!! YUKK) and has a 17 strand electric fence all around it, with one electric motor gate and one pedestrian gate which leads to the farm sheds and diesel tanks which are right next to the fence. (Its sad to have to live behind electric fences when one lives in the country).

The house is big, and I must admit I don’t like it at all – but it’s a house and I have tried to make it a home too. There are three cats and two dogs and they have certainly made it their home!

The house had four bedrooms but I have turned Willie’s, of ‘are there holes in rhino linings and spider bite on the bum and just had malaria fame’ into my office. I love my office….. its where my PC is and I have my pictures of the Sydney Olympics on the wall, and black and white ethnic curtains, and now two lovely pictures that two forumites, who shall remain nameless, took and sent to me. Thank you both. My view from my window in the office is of the garden, and there is a Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow bush outside it, which the birds love. The lesser striped swallows made a nest in the eves just outside the widow. Although I am a Virgo, and Virgo’s are meant to be tidy, my house is not very tidy at all…… in fact my Office has papers etc all over it, but I know where things are, so please don’t tidy it up!!!

So we are down to three bedrooms now, and three and a half bathrooms, (that half a bathroom, (guest loo) is a god send!) :D

The dinning room come lounge is open plan and badly laid out, as there is a fireplace in the lounge portion and the door is in the wrong place, and therefore you cant put chairs around the fire place to be able to sit around it!!!!!! Silly plan.!! We need to move the door, but we have a lovely sprung wooden floor, (which the termites are busy demolishing) and I really don’t think we have the workmen in this country to do a proper job of moving it, but if we could move the door we could sit round a fire in winter! All my chairs and sofa have throws over them as the cats think its there place to sleep, and the dogs think the side of the chairs make wonderful places to scratch themselves!!!

Off the lounge, through an arch, is a small room which we use all the time as a TV room. The kitchen is quite large, and it’s the one room in the house I changed a few years ago, and its much better now then it was. :D There is a scullery and a big walk in pantry, which is full of tinned food, dogs medicines and tick and flea stuff and junk!!!!! (no nice rows and rows of homemade jam and pickles etc that you would expect to find in a farm pantry!)

Most of the pictures hanging in my house are photographs that I took which I have had enlarged and framed. (Framing makes the pictures!) I have two pictures of Keunkenhoff Gardens, one of a sunset in Tasmania, a picture of a window and four other shop displays in Haweshead, a view over the harbour in Plokton, Scotland, a few Aussie scenes, one of buildings on the side of Lake Como, Pictures of Natures Valley. My favourite is the twins, at the age of about 10 feeding a goat in the fields around Olympia in Greece. Lots of flower pictures, (well they are in the guest loo and the bathrooms!) At least these pictures bring back memories of wonderful travels. :D

We have a fairly large verandah off our TV room and dining room, and we eat breakfast and lunch out there every day. (Well when the temperature is above freezing that is!) Our view from the verandah is of Phondo Mountain where the Queen Mothers Residence is and there are lovely cane fields in front.

I have a couple of pictures so will post those……….

Back of house or where you drive in.

Front of house with swimming pool

Verandah where we eat breakfast and lunch

View from verandah with young cane in the foreground

And one more for luck!!!! (I know it was said only four pics per post…… sorry Jose!)

A portion of the garden with the sheds in the background to your left

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Exclusive preview of my house.

Same dude getting cold feet.

to be continued

Last edited by gwendolen on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What an awesome thread! I've just spent about 20 mins reading through and imagining all the homes 8) .

Our home is a 3 bedroom town house in what the Aussie's like to call a "resort style complex" - ie. palm trees, heated outdoor pool, lawns, etc. The three bedrooms & two bathrooms are upstairs, downstairs is the kitchen, dining room, living room, laundry, toilet & small garden - kind of like a large outdoor playroom for Mikey, lol.

It's about 400metres from Moreton Bay (Brisbane, Australia), which is a marine national park with large numbers of turtles, dugongs (manatee's I think is their other name), dolphins, and at certain times of the year, whales. The complex borders a small nature reserve with koala's, fresh water turtles and an interesting array of bird life. The sky is almost always blue, as is the Pacific.

It's our first home (that we've bought rather than rented) and is full of love and the noise of a busy toddler. We love it, despite it being so different from the homes we grew up in - farms in the Lowveld.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:53 pm 

House #1, Johannesburg, medium sized-one story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, very homely, warm feel inside, mod kitchen :lol: mainly African interior with collected items from, Seychelles, Kenya, Zambia, Zim, Namibia, Botswana and Comoros, many local things including a fantastic wooden table, with a carved cat's head, about 2,5 m long, hard to imagine, all carved from one piece of wood. Garden; lots of trees, rock pool where many birds congregate. Garden is now looking like a VERY well used cricket pitch after this past season LOL!!
Swimming pool with surrounding terrace, where 'tile cricket' is played as opposed to 'garden cricket'. Long driveway, makes it very very quiet, quieter than our campsite in Vic falls, Kasane, Bots and Gwera, Bots. :( sad thought.

House #2
Could be called a holiday house, but it's another home for me. Set in the deep, undisturbed reaches of the Magaliesberg, 40 mins from Rustenberg. 2 storey A-frame chalet.
The top story has a double bed, single bed and cupboard, with small veranda.
Bottom storey has 2 single couches (also used for sleeping), table for eating, small bathroom, small kitchen with gas provided by cylinders. All lighting and heating by gas, no electricity! :D Outdoor veranda looking onto cliff and deep river pools filled with magically clear Magalies water. braaiplace and home-made outdoor shower.
Image the house hidden in the bush. :D

Fantastic trees and awesome hikes into Tonquani (if anyone knows it?) Kloof and the high ridges of the range, lengths range from 1-2 hours to 2 days. Views extend to Buffelspoort Dam, Brits and Pilansberg.
Image <<<Views!>>> Image

FABULOUS place, very rustic, spider webs everywhere, home away from home!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is really a wonderful thread.

I live in typical middle class suburbia in Bryanston, South Africa with four teenagers, one grandpa, one SO, three dogs and two gold fish. Have planted an indigenous section in our garden which now attracts butterflies and birds. We have a swimming pool and braai area both of which are in constant use by the teenagers and their plethora of friends in summer. I just love sitting on the patio after work (with my glass of wine) to watch and listen to the birds. My pride and joy is the beautiful burglar deterrent pavement planted by my ever patient and meticulous SO (he is an accountant and lepidopterist)!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok, here we go...The first picture is of our villa here in Doha, It is double story with lounge, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and bar downstairs. Upstairs we have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. We have a pool in the complex, only 12 houses and here it is called a compound.

This is SO bar...You can guess he is a Stormers supporter.
The next one is the view from our holiday house outside East London South Africa. Very nice, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, 2 bathrooms and deck to look out over the ocean...this is the view from the deck.
We have some resident bush buck, owls, monkeys and guinea fowls.
The next is the apartment in Cape Town where my daughters stay while at university.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow. such beautiful sounding homes :D i love your garden sioux. all the colours are so pretty.

My home is situated on an acre, so we have a lovely garden for the pets, birds and of course for family braais :) it is a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home with modern kitchen, bathrooms and living areas. it has 2 studies (one for dad and one for me and bro), a game/bar area (which is lovely for playing snooker or pool when company is around), 1 main lounge, 1 gym room, 1 sunroom and 6 car garage. our home is decorated in very subtle wildlife/neutral tones, except of course my brothers room. (what would you expect) :D

ImageImage
My home from the front

also have a lovely new built granny flat for my granny :) it has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a open plan kitchen and lounge and a sunroom.
My grans flat

my garden is my grans life. she has green fingers, so garden and pool and eveything outside always beatiful and full of life and colour. although not as colourful as your garden sioux :D you must have very green fingers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:22 pm 

our home before and after renovations

and our holiday house

Post subject: Sh@tto Perks!
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our house was built in 1975, sold almost immediately to the old folks we bought from. So it has been well looked after, and was one of the prime reasons we bought, not having to do any real fixing up, only customising.

In August we'll have been in two years. The garden in front of the bedrooms had this big slope at the top, which we decided would become our pool deck. Which was duly done, and can be seen in this pic...

The ironically sad thing is that this pic was taken in Oct 06, the start of spring, and we expected the summer rains to really bring it along. And we've had absolutely not nearly enough rain, and everything has been drab and brown the whole summer. We water plenty by hand, but it's not enough. The few occasions we've had more than say 10mm rain, the ground has been so hard, it has just washed off. Incredibly sad, considering the garden is such a great joy to me. :(

We are still trying to fill in all the gaps after removing lots of junk, so it's loads of cheap plants like dietes, and agapanthus and solanum and stuff, then we can remodel to put in more focal points into the garden, once it's established.

The garden on the street side is more of an English type garden, with loads of roses (I have 42 in total!), and groundcovers filling in the gaps. Plus two large trees, and an awesome 3, Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow. Monumentally spectacular after first blooms (around Oct / Nov), until the cooler weather sets in.

In the pic above you can see my bird feeder. We put out our indoor birds' leftover seeds and husks, old bread, old fruit skins, apples, you name it, out for the birds. Even occasionally some leftover mince which the bulbuls absolutely love.

We see the normal SA garden visitors...

Plus some of the more elusive ones...
(Only seen the coucal on the feeder this once, occasionally hear him clattering about in the trees, probably raiding nests.)

We also get hoepoos, olive thrush and hadeda ibis on the grass, and in the undergrowth, weavers, the fantastic bulbuls, tons of laughing and cape turtle doves, usual LBJs etc.

You can also see my braai spot; whilst it was tempting to build a proper braai closer to the house, I like nothing better than to do my Friday PM braai under the trees, on the lawn. ;)

Indoors, it's quite a conventional house....
- Large (relatively, 30 sq.m) lounge with rollup blinds for an easy-to-use rustic feel; floor tiled, much easier on maintenance than the old cream carpets (we have two kids!)
- Dining room, seldom used!
- Large kitchen with solid wood units and faux lead-glass cupboard windows; also has breakfast nook, where we have most of our meals
- Study-cum-4th bedroom, cluttered with desk, PC, shelves, bunk bed; used to be their TV room, so was tiled already
- Long passage
- Kids rooms
- Our room with BICs off to the side, and en suite bathroom, which includes MY shower
- Study and all bedrooms had pressed steel pelmets replaced when we moved in, with oregon ones, lovely
- Kids' bathroom has bath and SO's shower
- Kids' toilet.... hmmm, dunno really, I try not to go in there, I don't have the right biohazard suit! :P
- Staff quarters converted to laundry
- Single garage (Volvo), double carport over drive (SO's and my everyday cars), another carport behind the house (trailer and another car if needed)
- Large courtyard where the kids can ride their bikes, shoot netball hoops up against the laundry wall etc
- Wendy house in garden for all the kids' toys, so they don't clutter up the house

Between the kitchen and garage, we had this wasted, rubbish little area that was good for neither man, nor beast. So we put up a steel frame, covered with 80% shade cloth, and created an 'indoor-outdoor garden'. Put in table and benches, and that's where I sit and smoke, or have a beer, or read the papers, or do whatever...
(Note Zombie-dog!!!)

It also helped a lot with heat in the kitchen. Kitchen was extended outwards, such that the exterior wall is right under the edge of the eaves. Which makes it very hot with direct setting sun in summer. So the shade helps a lot.

House is split level, with steps at the start of the passage. But the builders got clever, and kept the roof height constant, so our living areas have these immensely high ceilings, which I love. It's not to everyone's taste, but they were also done with knotty pine, which has now aged to a lovely honey colour, and I absolutely love the cottagey-rustic effect.

Recently redid carpets in passage and master bedroom; as indicated above, cream carpets and small kids do not work together. Next major project will be an entertainment area, stroke guest accommodation, next to the pool, and we'll probably lose the carport in the process.

I love my house! It's practical, and neat, and everything's done with quality materials and workmanship; if not ever a candidate for the House and Home.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We live in a four bedroom house bordering a golf course which is now being developed into a golf estate - great when we bought last year - just in time for the sounds of building and builders replacing the once quiet surroundings - go figure

This is where I talk to you from - I have a little office at home and yes all those books next to the PC is my quizz ammo :twisted:

There is a sliding door and a big window behind me that you cannot see in the pic - but this is the view I have from there.

This is the view from my bedroom

This is where I dart off to when I have to cook

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The most sentimental things I have in my house

Paintings done for me by SC

Image-in my bedroom
Image - in guestroom
Image - living room
Image -tv room

Sorry SC I didn't ask if I could .... :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:42 am 
Gosh I cant believe the variety of different homes we have as forumites! Well - I live in the southern subs of Cape Town, in a little house that is not really worth mentioning. My computer lives on a counter in my kitchen, where I can hit the send and receive button as I go by to check whats new on the forum - I think I do spend faaaar too much time in my kitchen at the counter. I live with my SO (who has just become a forumite and addicted to the forum in less than 24hours), my 2 teenage sons (one of which is a avid forumite), 2 dogs, an african grey parrot (my baby) and a cockatiel! We have no real spectacular view, from any window. This all sounds very boaring, BUT, guess what? Like Michele Nel, I have a holiday house in a private little game park where there is nothing but peace and wild life. My view from any part of my house ? Mountains, the beautiful Witzenberg Mountain Range, with all its diffirent colours and moods!
So living in a tiny little box in the southern subs is a very small price to pay, when you compare it to your own little place in nature.

Our house, in the middle of the bush!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

My house is in the bush. I have 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms - too big for one person, but I do love the space! The garden is natural bush
As you can see by this view from the front veranda
I have expanding security trellis around the veranda and upper balcony to keep uninvited guests like baboons out! Some neighbours think it is unfriendly...
Using the driveway can be difficult at times
But I have this lovely old Knobthorn tree on the side of the house which is great for sunrise photos. The birds love it too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

From roof of the house you can see into Kruger (with binoculars) - it is just over the first ridge.
I have house guests too - very easy to please as long as they get a few slices of banana in the evening.
Fortunately I also have very friendly neighbours.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:02 pm 

We are in Johannesburg, near Fourways.
Got a stunning little pad in a quiet, small complex - 3 bed, 2 bath, open plan lounge, diningroom & kitchen with a stunning patio leading onto a small but beautiful garden and our little pool. My amazing husband (Ingala to you forumites :wink: ) works flippin hard to keep it looking amazing!
The house itself is all neutral colours & african decor - just the way we like it :dance:

The great thing about our place is that beyond our boundry wall we have a servitude of open land that will not be developed - it attracts the most amazing bird life & we often sit on our patio with some binos checking out our feathered friends :)

It's such a peaceful house to come home to after the hectic trafic & city day-life. And of course, my two boys are always an absolutel joy to come home to!

I just wish I could pick our whole house up exactly as it is & plonk it in the bush!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next