Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camping Equipments/Gear
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:15 am 

Check the weight of the tent before you buy. Pick it up and feel the weight.

I have two - a state of the art expensive tent but its heavy for one person to carry.

My second is a lightweight nylon tent - cost an eighth of the price- which is a real pleasure to carry and set-up. It is also more waterproof than the heavy one - according to the specs.

Guess which one I use most?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 am 

Forgot to add that the light weight one takes much less packing space!

Another tip - Your tent will come in a bag but you will probably find it extremely difficult to repack it into that "small bag". Only highly trained Chinese hands (as in the factory) will ever get it in there again.

When I buy a tent I always buy a separate much larger bag -ie one designed for a much bigger tent. This makes for easy packing when you are in a hurry or when the tent is wet. Prevents a whole heap of frustration!

It you are using stretchers take care that the legs don't damage the tent's thin ground sheet.
Use something to protect the tent base. I use coffee tin plastic lids. Works well.

The new aluminium stretchers are strong and light and weigh much less than the steel ones.

Mattresses - we use the blow up ones on top of the stretchers.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Just remember less is more, good quality things and you will be set. We (3 of us) each have a head light and also a small LED torch (the size of a pen). If sleeping on a camp bed make sure you have something under the legs as not to tear the groundsheet of the tent (we cut a bathroom mat into small squares to fit under each foot of the stretcher) We also have sleeping bags and a blanket that has been sewn together that fits into the sleeping bag. Happy camping !!

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:28 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Chungu,

I agree with Joao, get a good quality dome tent and a gazebo. That's about all you'll need.

Our dome tent has served us well for the past 25 years now and I'm yet to find anything more comfortable and easier to pitch. Google Tentco and see their Safari Dome Tent range. With a dome tent you also have only have to worry about a few tent pegs. If the ground is really hard SO does not even bother, the content keeps it down. :twisted:
I'm not sure how old your daughter is but my son has his own smaller version of our tent. He calls it his bomb because the content usually explodes within 24 hours. :lol:

Get yourself a good comfortable bed, camping is not fun if you wake up with aches and pains in the morning. We have a proper camping bed, it takes up quite a bit of packing space but that is one small luxury I just have to have. Get yourself a good quality blow up mattress. The cheaper ones just don't last, learn from our mistakes. My son has just bought himself a blow up mattress which is the close to the same hight and of a standard bed and I think that is a zooty invention and takes up far less space in your car.

Don't over pack to make life easier, it just becomes a pain packing and unpacking a load of stuff you might not even use. On short trips I don't even pack a pot unless I have something specific to cook in it. I've come a long way since the days of even taking the microwave along! :twisted:

My son asked for us to loan them camping stuff on their last visit to Kruger 2 weeks ago.
We gave them our tent and gazebo (which came back unused), the bed and mattress, the blower upper, two chairs, a small camping table, gas bottle with various attachments, the camping fridge (a good one is a must!) and two florescent lights. All the kitchen utensils only took up a small crate. They packed everything in their 1400 Golf and came back with great memories!

Welcome to the world of camping, no fancy accommodation can come close to sleeping under canvas and lying in bed listening to all the sounds of the bush!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you are making use of a power point, dont forget a long lead (25 - 30m at least) and a blue plug.

Post subject: Re: Camping Equipment Owned By Serious Outdoor Wildlife Love
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

mizzbee wrote:

I used my 35litre K-Way Pathfinder daypack on the walks. This pack is no longer manufactured. I am looking to buy a friend a new backpack as a gift. Any ideas?

I've got a Vaude 40L Tour. Really like it. I'm not partial to Kway gear. Have a look at the new First Ascent backpacks. Otherwise I'd go imported

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:24 pm 

Josh of the Bushveld wrote:
I'm not partial to Kway gear.

I have a 360 Degree Sleeping bag from ODW, a K-Way day pack and K-Way roller bag bought at different times but all with matching colours. Looks deliberate but totally accidental. For this reason I have often wondered whether, First Accent, 360 Degrees and K-Way equipment come out of the same factory.

I will have a look at the First accent make. These days, most Day packs and Back packs don’t have external pockets which I like. If there is a side pocket, it is normally just a mesh type elastic pocket which I find very flimsy. I wouldn’t trust my car keys in them and my old hiking water bottle wouldn't fit either.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Its possible that FA and KWay come out of the same factory but I doubt it. In any case, the FA stuff is generally better designed and of higher quality (especially the clothes and sleeping bags).

I won't buy a pack without side pockets or mesh, since I almsot always use a water bottle. I use a 3l bladder for water, and keep a 750ml bottle with an additive for now and then.

Do yourself a favour and buy a pack that is hydration system-compatible.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:44 pm 

Hey felow Forumites

I havent checked each and every post, but have you folks discussed camping beds and blow up mattresses yet?

I need a new camping bed, for myself and the misses, so preferably a queen size... Have seen these "double high" Coleman blow up matresses at Makro, are they any good? Or rather stick to "single high" ones?
Or what else do you guys suggest?
I need to buy one before Thursday as we are leaving Friday morning to the KNP.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There are lots of discussions around beds etc.
I've got a queen Intex (single layer). Very comfortable but we got tired of sleeping on the floor halfway through the night, then finding and fixing punctures.

We now mostly use 2 First Ascent self-inflating sleeping mats (with closed cell foam hiking mats underneath for protection). Very comfortable, light, not bulky and extremely convenient (fast to inflate and deflate). Only thing is they're a bit expensive.

If I had the money, space (and was camping for long enough), I'd probably look at either a spider stretcher (not good for cuddling the SO) or one of these.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Post subject: Re: Camping hints and tips
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We need some help, we have had so many different blow up mattressess it is not funny. Can anyone give us some advice on which brand to buy or even how to maintain them or even better maybe some good tips on where to buy some really good foam mattressess, we do not do camp beds!! Thanks

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post subject: Re: Camping hints and tips
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hi tent dweller, i suggest >
1/Choose your site well check and clear loose stones away from your site don`t erect over stones protruding from ground.
2/We allways take a grass broom with us and sweep loose stones,branches and thorns away from the site.
3/We allways try to put a groud sheet under our tent to help protect the built in ground sheet of the tent.
4/Lastly put a blanket under your mattress this help to protect it and also help to stop the cold cmming though in the cold months.
We have one of those thin Camp Master Lagoona tents and a Coleman double mattress and never had a problem.

Post subject: Confessions of a Kruger Camper.
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I spent some time browsing through all the images I managed to capture over many years trying to find a few that I can use in this thread. Taking pictures of the campsite that shows our means of accommodation at the time are few and far between. I could only find two - the first being one of our early trips camping at Balule. Those were the days with the bare minimum to pack and making good use of the table and chairs provided by Sanparks.

Up to our latest addition to our camping equipment arsenal - Roof Top Tent at Pretoriuskop recently.

No photo evidence of the years in between so you will have to take my word for the rest.

Time to confess :wink:

Like many campers (I suppose) we started out quite modestly. Younger then and still full of energy we slowly but surely accumulated more and more "essential" equipment. You know, the things you buy at Expo's and visits to shops sporting the latest and greatest in camping conveniences. You seem to spot things that you never dreamed existed and it would make life so much easier when camping. Fold up tables, chairs, cooler boxes and fridges, washing basin stand, porta-potti, clothes hanger for drying towels, stretchers with inflatable mattresses, all the gas-fired gimmicks you can think of (and only use once at home anyway), etc. etc. before you start running out of packing space in the Venter trailer. Don't let me get started on all the 12 volt lighting equipment.

In the mean time the tent pictured above was passed on to the kids and replaced with a canvass version, meaning even more space required. What to do? I bought a large caravan thinking that because of all the built in comfort camping was going to be much easier in the years to come. Pity you cannot see what happened during the very first trip with the Magnificent. What to do with all the accumulated camping gear? Well, we took it along of course. Packed to the rafters you can just imagine the fuel consumption.

At the time we were already quite accustomed to the tent camping idea. We knew that you do not need any gas-fired lights, stoves, etc. etc. because Sanparks provide those at all campsites should you decide not to braai. So we stored the Magnificent for two years and went back to doing the tent camping thing. (we did use the Magnificent three times in total if I remember correctly).

The years seemed to pass rather rapidly. After being retrenched a few years ago we sold the Magnificent and bought a brand new smaller Sprint. Knowing we never again want a shower and/or kitchen as part of the parcel (the smell in confined spaces, hehehehehe) because we are comfortable using the ablution and kitchen facility's so kindly provided by Sanparks. Why oh why did I even bother to purchase the complete tent as well? By now even the porta-potti has found it's way to the kids. Sprint and rally tent it is - two chairs and two small fold up tables are doing just fine thank you.

Now where on earth did that Roof Top Tent come from? Well, you must visit the Kgalagadi at least once in your lifetime and you do need the complete tent extension for the tent because you will be camping at Rooiputs for two nights (we borrowed the porta-potti for this round). We enjoyed tent-camping the Kgalagadi so much we even visited Augrabies on our way back and we recently returned from a two-week trip to Kruger - camp-hopping because of continuous availability. For now it's not a schlep to pack up when wanting to go for a drive. Packing up in the cold wet mornings take some guts, but I grin and bear it.

So, what have I learned? We have tried the bungalows, huts and tented accommodation on a number of occasions, but we just cannot find the attraction after being able to listen to the nightlife whilst lying awake inside our tent. I do not need a 4x4 off-road trailer villa, neither do I need all the luxury that money can buy. Have a look at the various campers and what they think to be the basic cannot do without equipment (just don't try and tell them that they bought junk, hehehehe) and then tell me that I am wrong in saying:-

"I do not want to spent three precious hours when visiting Kruger for a week to set-up all the essential stuff, nor do I want to spent three hours every day preparing every meal"

It took a while to openly admit that I bought lots of junk over the years, but phew! camping is nowadays so much easier than before. Unfortunately I will always have to return to the normal boring "luxury" lifestyle that we are trying to get away from once or twice each year.

Post subject: Re: Confessions of a Kruger Camper.
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

billyf wrote:
Do not feel ashamed, its the natural progression - but we are way ahead of you - we now pack all our "esseniail' gear in the boot of our car, and away we go :lol:

:thumbs_up:

Yeah , we do the same - if it cannot fit INSIDE the Landy , then it remains at home . So , all the essentials inside - foodstuffs , meat ( in fridge ) , beer , beer , beer , wine --- some clothing , and off we go 8)
Ummm , we stay in bungalows :)

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: Re: Confessions of a Kruger Camper.
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: Great topic! This is going to be interesting! And will be very much a learning place for us " jonges" that only start to buy the stuff now....

So please do give advice here all the oomies and tannies that have been camping for milleniums!! :twisted:

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next