Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4x4 trail with a difference near Satara
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:21 am 

Remco, we have tried to put our name on a list the night before and they would not accept it.
They will not commit to allowing one to do the trail until the morning of day you wish to do the trail.
Aim to get to Satara when the office opens at 7am to book the trail.
I would call the day before, as Annie suggests anyway tho, especially if it has rained to see if the trail is open. Again they will not commit as it could rain overnight, but if it has been closed for days, as least you will know. There is a report on the forums in the travel tales by a member that did get bogged down in the mud and had to spend the night out on the trail.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Mananga Adventure Trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:43 pm 

We could not wait to do this trail during our March trip to the KNP.
We really enjoyed it.
We were in our Suzuki Jimny and another couple from Satara were in their Land rover.
We met each other when we booked for the trip.
The animals are still very wild and definitely not used to vehicles.
We had to be quick to take a photo because the one minute they were there and the other minute they were gone.
The windmill ..... hmmm within a few minutes you can be on the wrong track.
You really need to think and look at the map to be sure you are on the right track.
I will definitely do it again.
It is wonderful to know it is only your car and one other one in the field - no green vehicles ( :clap: ) and you are so very close to mother nature.
We took some beautiful photos. (I tried to put some photos on, but I could not - do not know how)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi, we did the Mananga trail on Sunday. It was closed for more than a week due to the heavy rain that fell 2 weeks before, and we had to beg to go on it. After inspecting our truck, the ranger allowed us to go and to see whether we will be able to do the trail due to all the mud. To say the least, it was amazing. Being the first people on that road in more than a week was wonderful... the impala were quite surprised to see us... :D

We saw elephant, a beautiful unmentionable :wink: buffalo and part of the mega pride :dance: All we missed was a leopard. All the other general game was also present.

What happened with the lions, was, Scipio was already outside the vehicle preparing the tables so we could make breakfast for our overseas guests that we had with us, while I was standing in the door of the truck. While I waited for him to pass him the gas bottle, I looked up and saw something in a clearing about 2m in diameter. I took the binos and to my surprise saw some cubs lying there under a tree looking very curiously at us.

I calmly told him in Afrikaans to stop what he was doing and get back in the truck. He realised by my tone and the fact that I was suddenly speaking Afrikaans something was going on and did as he was told. To see the shock on his face was priceless... :D If we stopped a meter to the front or to the back we wouldn't have seen them.... :roll: He then got to the roof of the truck and started counting. As he could see better now he counted 28 lions lying all around us....

Needless to say, we continued the breakfast preparations inside the truck and watched the lion through the windows. The guests had a thrill and their photos are already posted on facebook :lol:

The road was still extremely muddy and we sank very deep at some places. On returning to the camp, we then advised the ranger to keep it closed for a few more days, as a normal 4x4 will not be able to get through at some places.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 pm 

Amazing sighting, must be the mega pride! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

During the June/July school holidays I had the priviledge to work as a HR in Satara camp. Part of the duties were to patrol the Mananga 4x4 trail and check for permits on the trail.
During the 6 days we patrolled there were only one day we didn't find lion on the route. We even had the company of a fellow forumite the one day, who actually found that day's lion and then showed us where she was :D
I would highly recommend this trail to everyone who drives a 4x4, and are staying in Satara, Orpen/Tamboti/Maroela or even Balule. As you can book only from 7 to 11 in the morning, you can still drive from another camp and do the route. It is an experience you will always remember. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Self Drive 4 x 4 Trail
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:13 am 

DSouter wrote:
I see you say that you must book between 7am and 11am - is it not possible to book the day before? :D

Hi, we've done the Manangatrail in 2012 and you can book only from 7 o'clock in tne morning. That is because when there is a lot of rain during the night, sometimes they close the trail for 1 day or so. It depends on how the weather is... :hmz:

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm 

We did the Mananga Trail on 27 August, had done the morning walk and were back at camp at about 10h30 and wondered if it was worth paying for the trail. Only 3 other cars had booked by then so we decided to go for it and were very glad we did. Did not see much game wise but was awesome to be alone...no cars for 6hrs!!! :shock: and, being able to sit quietly at water holes etc was fantastic. No need to go earlier, they only allow 6 cars/day so the animals are not "chased" off the roads/tracks by speedsters! Well worth the cost!

Tsendze - 07/08/2014 - 11/08/2014
Satara - 11/08/2014 - 14/08/2014
Croc. Bridge - 14/08/2014 - 16/08/2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

WE did it yesterday - the third time in about 4 years . Stopped at the windmill , and cooked our breakfast , with curious onlookers in the form of 4 giraffes . Wildebeest , zebra and impala all coming to drink and also watched from a little distance :)
Splendid to enjoy nature far from the madding crowds :D

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:57 pm 

We will be arriving from the UK and the only sort of decent vehicle we can hire at the airport is a Toyota Fortuner.

Does anyone know if they will allow us to do the trail with this vehicle.

Thanks

Eddie

Biyamiti: 10 September 2014

:dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 pm 

If it is a 4x4 definitely, if not, I am not sure,they seemed quite strict when we were there in August.

Tsendze - 07/08/2014 - 11/08/2014
Satara - 11/08/2014 - 14/08/2014
Croc. Bridge - 14/08/2014 - 16/08/2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:00 pm 

Will we be able to do the Mananga trail with a Nissan Hardbody 4x2 with gearlock?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:33 pm 

They do strictly require a full 4 x 4 more just to preserve the environment from wheelspinning etc.
The only reason why they call it 4x4 trails and enforce you to use a 4x4 is to limit the negative impact on nature.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:21 pm 

Why SANParks insist on a 4 x 4 only is in order to do as little damage to the ecology as possible with say wheelspinning etc.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sky wrote:
Lepardfan wrote:
I must say it is quite a pity, that 4x2 vehicles are not allowed. :(

I don't have a 4x4 but have travelled it numerous times. you just need high clearance So A SUV, Bakkie or VW kombi does it easily. A Sedan is a no no

Strange that you were allowed to do it as SANParks specificaly say that a 4x4 is required to minimise damage to the track.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MikeGoss2011 wrote:
Drove this in November last year in an Nissan Xtrail 4x2. Was fantastic being the only vehicle on the road. We drove it twice in the day, going back into Satara for lunch ( tourists cant really carry braai equipment ) Would do it again and hoping to be able to do so in April 2014 (hopefully)

Mike

I hope SANParks is taking note of these public admissions of rule breaking. Clearly a flaw in their system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next