Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skukuza cottages/guest houses
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:15 pm 

But having said that I am a bit confused, as looking at the map Here it looks like the GW2 is right at the far end and the other Waterkant Guest House! :?
Maybe a call to them to enquire before cancelling would be better unless someone has stayed in them.
It was just that the description of them doesn't say perimeter?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:45 pm 

Hey Grantmissy

I have stayed in both and 222 (any of the GC4V’s) are better IMO. The GC4V’s have separate bathrooms, where as the GW2 has a back passage connecting both rooms to a separate shower, toilet and bathroom. The kitchen and lounge of the GW2 are also accessed from outside the unit, which for me, with kids wasn’t ideal. The “lounge” ended up being a waste of space. (If you know the FU5 units at LS, the GW2 is the same, but with a shared bathroom).

The GW2 has a view of the river, but due to thick bush and trees, it’s not as good as the GC4V’s, but you are in the corner of the camp, so you have a duel fence line. I found it a little close to the staff village and noise pollution filtered through, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Don't compare the quality to a guest house as it's not even close.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Frosty1,
ABSA house is ideal for a group that size with ample room for kids to run and play as well. My favourite guesthouse in Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kite, regarding the name GW2, as far as I can work it out it:

G - Guest House
W2 - Waterkant 2

Now the unit is not a guest house, as it only has 2 bedrooms and one bathroom and that is why it is sold as a family cottage. It does border and is part of the same building as the Guest House Waterkant (GW1), so you can book both the guest house and the cottage to make use of the extra space.

Post subject: Re: What do you think of Skukuza?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 pm 

Skukuza maybe a little "town" in the kruger but offer some of the best game viewing in the park. Got to see the "big 7 " in one morning drive in July. The different type of accomodation also a bonus, ABSA house one of the best guesthouses in kruger, so much space and privacy for the children to play, ride bikes look for birds etc and even for a short golf trip skukuza offer everything. Some of the best routes to travel in kruger are around skukuza.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am 
There is nothing wrong with Skukuza. The staff is good, the units are clean and attractive and we have never had a problem there (Only been there twice)

However, when we visit Kruger, we are not only game watching, but it is also an escape from everything. Unfortunately, Skukuza has everything we are trying to escape from.

Everyone is different, but too us, we will only book at Skukuza if there is absolutely nothing else. As said, the camp is great, but even so, it ruined our holiday a bit when we were there. We had this great holiday in the bush. The escape we always crave for, as well as great game viewing. Our last night was in Skukuza, and we felt like our holiday was over. People everywhere, traffic, bus loads of people being driven in, loads of different private companies offering game drives. It was just all too busy. A bit of a tourist trap. We are not old by the way, both in out 20s.

Once again, everyone who goes to Kruger is looking for something different, and that should be thought about before judging any camp.

Post subject: Re: Booking a specific safari tent in Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 am 

Hi Snor,

Yes, it is possible to try and reserve a specific # it is not guaranteed but if possible they will usually try and do it.

I usually either phone, send a fax, or e-mail the camp around 2 to 3 weeks prior to my visit.

Unfortunately many of the e-mail addresses have not been updated and are no longer valid so folk are having a problem using that method. :?

I have not stayed in any of the tents there before but have a look at the Map and you will see the ones nearest the fence.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 am 

We stayed at #316 which was not to bad,
Although # 312 looked onto the perimeter fence at
about 3 meters if not less ( Both are 2 sleepers)

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 am 

Good Morning Snor,

i can only recommend tent 313. We stayed there in April and it was great. The braai is very close to the fence and in front of your tent is a hyena path. As soon as there is meat on the braai it is only a matter of time until the first hyena sneaks out of the bush.

For a reservation email Cedric Khoza. He is the Front Office Supervisor at Skukuza and can do reservations. All you need is your reservation number and the tent number you would like to book.
cedrick@sanparks.org

Post subject: Re: Romantic Dinner at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There is also the ordinary restaurant at Skukuza. It has a terrace section which has a view over the Sabie river. That is the best option for a nice view. It is rather public, but not too busy at night.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Last edited by Imberbe on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The Selati restaurant was done up completely recently, with a new menu, so older posts probably give you a wrong picture....

The best to do is scout out the location and after deciding the where simply ask for the manager. Explain the situation and request that table at the time you want. I would be rather surprised if they do not cooperate.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 pm 

At Skukuza I would definitely go for the main restaurant with a table on the terrace overlooking the river - hopefully the weather will be good - enjoy and Happy Anniversary to you both :gflower:

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:02 pm 

Don't let the Braai in Bush Braai, put you off Gabriel33. It is a very 'posh' affair, and very romantic.

But nothing wrong with the restaurant option either :thumbs_up:

If my SO was planning a such a treat for me, I would be thrilled with the restaurant :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
I used to stay there a lot, but as one 'matures' in Kruger, one likes things a bit quieter.

I have to disagree in some ways. Skukuza to me is great and my folks and older members of my family have rediscovered the greatness of this place. The huts near the Selati restaurant are very quiet in Summer and the views over the river are amazing. If you are up and at the gate at 430 you generally get to the gate first and if not then you have about 10 routes to take to avoid other cars.

I also love the great history of Skukuza and the area is great for viewing.

I think the reason people have a bad time in Skukuza is because they expect the same as other other camps in the park. This is a big mistake as each camp has its own personalitiy and you have to appreciate the, for what they are.

Skukuza is a town with all the things like a police station, post office, airport etc. I think its great that there is a town in South Africa completely in the middle of the bush. If you look at it this way Skukuza is a real gem.

I also used to have to visit Skukuza during work to go to the police station, drop staff at the doctor and organise post and banking stuff. It was an absolute highlight for me arriving there and I used to organise it so I had 30mins for a quick toasted sandwich under the fig trees on the river bank - it was always the best - such great memories!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We have stayed in the Waterkant 2 (GW2) family cottage for three days last week :D .
We liked the enclosed kitchenette on the stoep in front of the braai and it was nice sitting outside during the evenings.
We saw a thick tailed bush baby chasing a mouse in the tree at the braai one night and a lonely bushbuck next to the perimeter fence late one afternoon just before nightfall.
It was interesting to see the old Selati railway tracks right next to the perimeter fence of the cottage for historical reasons and perhaps also to dream of and to remember the steam train safari’s of days gone by as a bit of nostalgia can do no harm.
There is also a green iron structure almost like a bench to be seen next to the tracks but we do not really know what it is or whether it is indeed historical or not.
It was full moon during our stay which added to the overall character of the cottage and surrounding bush. It was very hot :shock: .
The smell of the sun drenched veldt was very distinct at dusk.
At 18:30 one evening we returned from the shop and the thermometer in the car still indicated a sultry 35 degrees Celsius!
Early mornings when we went to explore the surrounding roads we could see and feel the mercury rising as we prefer open windows to aircon when in Kruger to match the freedom of the never ending veldt or at least it seems like it is never ending.
Nevertheless we had such a great time with many good sightings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next