Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wide Angle lens for 7d
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:33 pm 

Hey guys, I dont really have a wide angle lens and was wondering if any one here uses them? I have a canon 7d and 450D and i would like to hear what you use on this body for a wide angle lens.

Does anyone use the sigma 10-20 f3.5 lens ?? Would like to hear your thoughts on that lens.

Post subject: Re: Wide Angle lens for 7d
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:35 am 

Hi Massimo;

I had the Sigma 10-20 MkI for use on my 40D and loved it. Optics are very good and the lens is excellent value for money. The new MkII doesn't get as good a write up though; so if you're seriously looking at the Sigma, you'd be better off looking for a MkI if you can still find one...

As an example of how much the MkI is valued, I just sold my Sigma 10-20 on that well known auction site for more than I paid for it :dance: Sold it only coz I've upgraded to a 5DII and bought a 17-40 for wide-angle use. I'm still keeping my 40D though for long-reach; it's a superb piece of kit.

In all honesty, if the choice came down to the MkII Sigma or the Canon 10-22, I'd opt for the Canon today - even though it's a damned sight more expensive...

Look for a MkI - that would be my suggestion...

Good luck...

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:28 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I have a 7D, but somehow it seems the long lens has been glued to it. We also have a 17-40 which works perfectly on it, but GP has fallen in love with it, and I fear for my life when I look at it.
The 17-40 (L, f/4) is a super lens. On the 7D it'll effectively be a 27-64 lens of course, but that makes it the perfect runaround lens. It is quite fast, AF is very fast, and the IQ is perfect, even in the corners.
I get the feeling that you don't use wide-angle a lot? Then I would go for this lens. (Which is obvious as I have it. ;) ) Landscapes are more than wide enough without the lines distorting too much. It'll do family meetings, weddings and the likes without a problem, but if you want to use the internal flash of the 7D you have a problem. The lens + hood is very wide, so it'll throw a shade. Outside that's no problem, just turn the camera 180 degrees, you won't see the shade in the light air. Inside you will need an external flash though.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:50 pm 

I have the 7D ,40 D bodies and the three same lenses you have ,with also the 300mmf:4.
I have also the canon 10-22mm and love it though sometimes i think i should have bought the 17-40mm.

The 10-22 is not the lens for pics from the car i found, and rather use my 70-200 mm for landscapes shots and the 10-22 in camps in parks .

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:34 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

anne catherine wrote:
The 10-22 is not the lens for pics from the car i found, (...)

You probably had the car in the photos too? It is a very wide lens which will get your feet into the photo too. ;)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The 10-22 is ultra wide angle, anything smaller and you gonna have to go the fisheye route, brilliant lens, good optics, if wide angle is what you want, then its perfect

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

Duques,

Yes ,it's not the right lens to take pics from a car :)
I must say i took my 10-22 with me on my last trip in KTP(january 2012) and did'nt used it at all; last year in KTP i took a lot of pictures with it in the wilderness camps for bungalows pictures.
But this year,too much visitors at the waterhole in the camps and birds ,so the two bodies were always attached with the long lenses,no time for the wide-angle :lol:
And for streets photography,i would prefer a 35mm on my 7D or 40D,but have only a 50mm,a bit too much at my taste :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:36 pm 

I'm using the Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8 Lens - absolutely BRILLIANT! Definitely worth checking it out. All reviews i've read on the net about it said that this lens beats the Canon / Nikon and Sigma's lenses, especially with it's price.

Here's a pic taken in KTP with this lens: