Skip to Content

Skukuza Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza cottages/guest houses

Unread postby christo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:08 am

The GW2 is most definately not a guesthouse. It is build to serve as a supplement to GW1, shold a larger group be expected. I actually like the positioning better (Having Kruger nearly all around you), but it does not offer the same recreational facilities, although the bedrooms is not much different. the lay-out is also ot as pleasing.

Nyathi and GW1 is basically the same type of structure, both big units where the GW2 is not what i would call big.

From GW2 you have free access to GW1, altgough it is not directly linked, via the front lawn as it forms "one big area". standing at the riverside, facing the guesthouse you can clearly see the similarities in design, but yet being kept private.

Where there is a wall with a gate between Nyathi and GW1, seperating the two, the Gw1 & GW2 has a much more 'open and flowing" design, forming a better unit if combined.

If you are a smaller group GW2 would be fine, but for a larger group go for GW1, the combination of GW1 & GW2 or the ABSA, that is also a large river fronted guesthouse.

If you need photo's, please do not hesitate to ask and I will gladly e-mail it to you, as it is a frequent stay over for my guests on safari, giving me the oppertunity to stay there about every other month..
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Bushcraft

Unread postby Bushcraft » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:05 pm

vgstephens wrote:anyone is a party of 4 or 6, the GC6, or GC6D cottages are quite adequate and very much cheaper than some of the other guest houses/cottages etc at Skukuza.
Yip, I have stayed in the GC6 units and they are cool, but the GW2 unit (1 of) and the GC5 unit (1 of) and all the GC4V units (5 of) and Elsie Clark cottage are on the fence with an awesome view of the Sabie river and are the same price as the GC6 units, which aren't on the fence, so I squeeze my clan into a 4 sleeper :lol: (3 kids under the age of 10 sharing 2 beds is ok in my book)

Hélène

Unread postby Hélène » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 am

We would like to make a reservation for a guest cottage for 4 people with river view at Skukuza next August. Is there any difference between the GC4V guest cottage and the Elsie Clarke guest cottage? Which one would you recommend?

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:09 am

Hi Helen

we stayed in most of them, they are the same, number 222 the best !
July 2016 booked !!!

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:33 pm

We also stayed in #222 in May this year and can confirm it was fine. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Bushcraft

Unread postby Bushcraft » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Unit 222 doesn’t have a neighbour on the left and the second room and lounge is twice the size of the other GC4V’s, so the best in my opinion. The showers are a little dodgy though.

CuriousCanadian
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby CuriousCanadian » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 pm

We had that one too!!!!! :dance: It's lovely...and the view....Image

Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:09 am

Another pic of the view seen from #222

Early morning..

ImageLarge

and a bit later in the day..

ImageLarge
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 am

How does number 222 compare with the GW2? We have a booking in GW2 in November but it seems like number 222 is preferred by forum members. Perhaps someone lucky has stayed in both :tongue: :D and be able to comment on the two? Thank you :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Bushcraft

Unread postby Bushcraft » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:45 pm

I have stayed in both and 222 (any of the GC4V’s) are better IMO.
The GC4V’s have separate bathrooms, where as the GW2 has a back passage connecting both rooms to a separate shower, toilet and bathroom.
The kitchen and lounge of the GW2 are also accessed from outside the unit, which for me, with kids wasn’t ideal.
The “lounge” ended up being a waste of space. (If you know the FU5 units at LS, the GW2 is the same, but with a shared bathroom).

The GW2 has a view of the river, but due to thick bush and trees, it’s not as good as the GC4V’s, but you are in the corner of the camp, so you have a duel fence line.
I found it a little close to the staff village and noise pollution filtered through, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Don't compare the quality to a guest house as it's not even close.

Bomsevrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bomsevrou » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 am

ABSA house is ideal for a group that size with ample room for kids to run and play as well. My favourite guesthouse in Kruger.

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Weltenman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 am

Kite, regarding the name GW2, as far as I can work it out it:

G - Guest House
W2 - Waterkant 2

Now the unit is not a guest house, as it only has 2 bedrooms and one bathroom and that is why it is sold as a family cottage. It does border and is part of the same building as the Guest House Waterkant (GW1), so you can book both the guest house and the cottage to make use of the extra space.
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

wbevents

Re: What do you think of Skukuza?

Unread postby wbevents » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Skukuza maybe a little "town" in the kruger but offer some of the best game viewing in the park. Got to see the "big 7 " in one morning drive in July. The different type of accomodation also a bonus, ABSA house one of the best guesthouses in kruger, so much space and privacy for the children to play, ride bikes look for birds etc and even for a short golf trip skukuza offer everything. Some of the best routes to travel in kruger are around skukuza.
July 2016 booked !!!

Graeme & Nicky

Re: Booking a specific safari tent in Skukuza

Unread postby Graeme & Nicky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 am

We stayed at #316 which was not to bad,
Although # 312 looked onto the perimeter fence at
about 3 meters if not less ( Both are 2 sleepers)
No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Andreas_79

Re: Booking a specific safari tent in Skukuza

Unread postby Andreas_79 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 am

I can only recommend tent 313.
We stayed there in April and it was great. The braai is very close to the fence and in front of your tent is a hyena path.
As soon as there is meat on the braai it is only a matter of time until the first hyena sneaks out of the bush.
http://www.mywildlifephotos.de - Oktober 2011: new photos from my trip to Kenya and the Serengeti.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”