Guest Houses in Kruger

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Guest Houses in Kruger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon May 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I agree with Zorilla. We also recently stayed in J le Roux in Berg-en-Dal and maybe Sanparks made an administrative error or other oversight as it is definitely not a guest house. It has no view and it also does not come even remotely close in the guest cottage or family cottage category Kruger accommodation which is less than half the prize. I do hope Sanparks will fix their error.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Zorilla

Unread postby Zorilla » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 pm

It has been a while since I said I would post some pictures of Nyathi, 2 months to be exact. I have posted the outside only in this set, and will post the interior pics of the new layout over the weekend!! I hope this wets your appetite tho!!

This is the fence line to the left with the Sabie River flowing only meters away!! You can see the braai area ahead with the lounge/kitchen/patio area behind. You can also see the gate that leads to Waterkant 1 Guest house.

Again a picture of the lounge section of the house on the right with the rooms starting on the right.

This is taken with Waterkant guest house behind me, the fence line runs on the right. You can see the garden/grass area with the rooms off to the left.

This is from the wall between Waterkand 1 Guesthouse on the left and Nyathi on the right.

A picture of us enjoying the view of the Sabie River from the fence line, meters from the braai area.

Zorilla

Unread postby Zorilla » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Here are my interior shots of the new refurbished Nyathi Guest House. I have also added a couple good ones of the outside too that I haven't had a chance to do previously.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... C_0023.jpg
The lounge area has had a complete re design, with the kitchen and lounge area one open plan space where previously it was seperate. The tiles on the floor and furniture has also been updated.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... C06674.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... C06647.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... C06646.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... C_0039.jpg
This is the 'new' bathrooms which look awesome now with the new tiles.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... C_0013.jpg
Outside again

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... C_0003.jpg

Bushcraft

Unread postby Bushcraft » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Schoemanskloof wrote:Boulders camp (3 nights)
Shipandani Hide (1 night)
Lebombo @ Olifants (1 night)
P. Joubert @ Pretoriuskop (1 night)
Nyathi @ Skukuza (1 night)
Rhino @ Berg en Dal (6 nights)

Hey Schoemanskloof,

I can't help you with Boulders and Shipandani, but Lebombo, Nyathi, Rhino and P. Joubert are all great and I rate them in that order. (the first 2 being equal in my opinion)

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:27 am

Schoemanskloof we have stayed at Boulders twice and we think it is great.
It is very quiet and peaceful and the surrounding nature is so beautiful and that was sufficient for us to enjoy our stay.
Boulders is raised above ground level and the view from the raised platform where you sit did not fail to impress us on both occasions.
We got a feeling that we are in a remote place where nature is priority.
We did not mind at all that there is only solar energy for cooking and lightning purposes.
Just take your own food, drinks and wood etc along and have a nice time!
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 am

Hi Schoemanskloof,we love Boulders, it is not a camp but a private paradise with no neighbours to disturb the peace. Just remember you have to take all food, drinks, wood etc with as there is no shop close by.
And because of the remoteness the staff would love a gift of something they have no access to - tabacco/cigarettes/cooldrink/sweets/tinned food, etc.
Enjoy your stay :lol: :mrgreen:
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Tamboti 26 to 28 December 2015
Shingwedzi 29 to 31 December 2015
still a work in progress :o

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Weltenman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:09 pm

We stayed in Lebombo Guest house last year and everything was fine. The kitchen is on the small side for the big house, but we managed with 4 people. I found that our privacy was a little compromised as the people from the viewing deck could see onto the house main living room when they look down in that direction. The bedrooms are all apart from the main living area, two bedrooms at the top and the other two closer to the living area. Here are a few photos of the kitchen, main living area and three of the bedrooms. All bedrooms have an en-suite bathroom with a bath and shower that I can remember.

I will say that one of the bedrooms had a funny drain smell coming from close by it, we just avoided it by using the other bedrooms.

Hope this helps.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

Bushcraft

Unread postby Bushcraft » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks MATTHYS :thumbs_up:

To offer other feedback – I found Stanley House at Satara awesome. As Jumbo stated, a small stove, 1 shower, etc, but the house was clean, quiet, peaceful and in a great location. Stanley will see me again :dance: :dance: (after I win the lotto) :whistle:

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 am

Before spending your Lotto money on Stanley again….first go and visit Rentmeester in Shingwedzi …..will give a new perspective on things…. :twisted: :wink:

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 am

For the view I don't think you can get better than Nshawu Guest House in Olifants.
It has had its maintenance problems over the past while but hopefully will have been sorted out but the view is just amazing.

Lebombo GH is also in Olifants and has a similar view, sometimes easier to book than the very popular Nshawu.

Other than that I like the Stanley or Rudy Frankel GH's in Satara both of which overlook a floodlit waterhole right by the fence and can produce great sightings.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:25 am

Which of the guest houses in Kruger would you recommend if the most important consideration is the view, considering it is for people (6) who prefer to stay in the Camp for the better part of the day? They would like to stay in three to four of them over a 3 week period. Thank you for your advice

On personal experience I would recommend the following

As Elsa said, you cannot get better than Nshawu house in Olifant’s if you going on view alone, personally only been there for a drink (had to cancel planned trip there because wife got pregnant)
Some of our friends stayed there and did not go outside the camp for 2 days! was no need to, saw various lions come for drink, cheetah and various other animals in the comfort of your house with drink in hand !. Much better view than Lebombo and also more private.
I can recommend Frankel in Satara, it is my favourite in the park, 5 bedrooms, all on-suite with shower and bath, so no need to share bath /shower like the other guesthouses in Satara, big living area, kitchen and big braai area and awesome view, feeling and waterhole, huge property.
When staying there normally go out early morning only, the rest you can see from your veranda ( in winter)

The houses in Skukuza do also all have a great view on the river with ABSA the most private of them all, but very big, ideal for huge groups and children! Monis a great house with all the four huge bedrooms having a view towards the river, not ideal for young children ( deck etc), not on big property, the other two also on huge properties next to each other.

Rentmeester house in Shingwedzi, great place, can sit there the whole day !!
My wife use to go there every July holiday when she was younger as her family were the main donators to the house ( but the 20 year privilege expired already :cry: )

Letaba, Melville guesthouse is stunning , also on huge property with same type house as Monis , great view.

Stayed a few times with friends only @ Keartland house Lower Sabie, great view, although they can do more with the house, have to walk a bit to braai area etc, small kitchen, and lack some overall work on the house, main bedroom got best view in camp, need a better “entertainment “ area, but saying that, will go back anytime !

Thanks wbevents!
Looking forward to seeing your photos of the ABSA guesthouse

Will post some photos of houses etc.
July 2016 booked !!!

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:49 am

Frankel House Satara

Watehole
The locals
July 2016 booked !!!

wbevents

Unread postby wbevents » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 am

ABSA Guesthouse - Skukuza

Last edited by wbevents on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 2016 booked !!!

Rubicon

waterkant1 guest house

Unread postby Rubicon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:36 pm

good day all

we will be staying at the Waterkant 1 guest house in April. Has anyone stayed there before? i would like to get a review and what your experience was.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Re: waterkant1 guest house

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 am

Hi Rubicon the Waterkant 1 guest house is very nice and spacious; it has a good view over the Selati Bridge. It is next to the Nyathi guest house and very private. I hope you will enjoy your upcoming stay :thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”