Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upset Stomach with Malarone
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm 

All these different experiences underline just how important it is to get advice from medical practioner who knows your medical history. We all react in different ways to different drugs at different times

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
saraf wrote:
All these different experiences underline just how important it is to get advice from medical practioner who knows your medical history. We all react in different ways to different drugs at different times

So true we have used Mefliam for many years with no side effects, when I told my friend about it, she asked her doctor and he told her she could not use it because of her specific liver problems.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
RIGHT... we have to ask to the Doctor... and to have an orderly :)

Post subject: Re: Epilepsy and anti-malaria medication
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thanks WFG. :thumbs_up:

After checking the product out - which is from a company claiming to be all-natural in its very few products it markets - and reading up on other sites, I must say that I am still not convinced that I would trust artemisinin on its own to prevent malaria. The half-life is so short (as I mentioned above) that multiple dosing - not the once daily dosing advocated - seems more appropriate (also, dosing that many times a day is just plain inconvenient!); and use of artemisinin on its own will in all probability cause resistance to build up over a relatively short time.

We need to retain at all costs a drug that is highly effective for malaria TREATMENT - millions of people die from malaria annually in the world, mostly sub-Saharan Africa, and most of these are children. I feel it is wrong to whittle away that ace-card because, if the parasites become resistant to this treatment too, where does that leave us regarding malaria in the world? Very much on the back-foot, I fear!

No - until sufficient research convinces me otherwise, I'm sticking to the WHO and South African Department of Health guidelines!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Day Trip with small children - Malaria Risk?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:14 pm 

Hi All,

We live in Nelspruit and have not been to the park for about 6 months, which is a form of torture. We now have 2 baby boys, 5 months old. I know its not advisable to visit the park with infants, but I also know that the risk of being bitten is predominantly at night, dusk and dawn. Do you think it is okay to do a day trip to the park and get out before nightfall? We will be in the car most of the time, the kids will be wearing long sleeves and will be rubbed in with baby friendly mozzie repellant. Personally I feel the risk to be so small that I am inclined to go, if we take these precautions and not overnight in the park. What are your feelings and thoughts on this?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Day Trip with small children - Malaria Risk?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As far as I am aware the risk is no higher in Kruger than anywhere else in the lowveld, which includes Nelspruit. So if you are already living there I doubt the risk is any worse than that which you are exposed to everyday. But please check this with your pediatrician or GP

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hi Sybie

Your risk at home at night in Nelspruit is higher than going to the Park during daytime. Besides malaria mosquitos are only active from dusk to dawn. The same precausions you have been taking so far seems to work OK.

And I just need to ad that I believe it is very advisable to take kids to Kruger. All mine has been going since they were very small and they all loved it and never fell ill. Touch wood. When does it then become 'advisable' to take them? What is the cutt-off age?

My youngest has just turned two and she has been to five African countries already! I am not saying that you should not take precausion, but just that there are too many doom prophets out there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 am 

Thanks for the replies, I will contact our paediatrician to get his view on the matter. He did think it was safe for my wife to visit for a day whilst preganant if she took all precautions, so I'd imagine the same will apply with the young ones.

Post subject: Malaria in March
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:08 am 

Hi,

I'm just enquiring if the malaria is bad in March in the southern part of the Kruger because my sister is a little bit worried about taking her children in case they get bitten.

Thanks,

Samantha

28-31 March - Orpen

Post subject: Re: Malaria in March
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We are going in December and strangely enough, the person least worried about malaria is my daughter's gyneacologist (she will be 7 months pregnant at the time)! He just told her to put on lashings of anti-mozzie stuff, keep her arms and legs covered from late afternoon and take the other usual precautions (no pills). He did say "no camping" though.
Remember that every mosquito is not a malaria carrier.

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:04 am 

Bushmom wrote:
Remember that every mosquito is not a malaria carrier.

That´s true - but also remember that one bite can be enough!

In March it is still rain season and especially after the wet months January and February the risk of Malaria is higher than usual as there are more mosquitos around than in the drier months.

Bushmom wrote:
He did say "no camping" though.
Why not?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:16 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Heya Samantha :D

When we have been in March or December, we havn't taken anything against Malaria and we have been never had trouble :) Just repellent before sun goes down and keep applying around the braai.
But I don't want you to take this to heart then I'm to blame that your sister's kiddies get malaria :big_eyes: Rather safe than sorry :wink:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 am 

Hi Cheetah2111,

We've been to the Kruger quite a few times in March and never had any trouble with mosquitoes. We've just used mosquito repellent and been very careful not to go out after dark.

PS - Don't worry I won't blame you.

Thanks,

Samantha

28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:31 am 

I have three children ranging between 14 and 2 years and they have all gone to Kruger at least six times a year, since they were born. My wife will be four months pregnant in December when we go again (I know, I know............ I need to go for the snip).

BTW we use a caravan, never uses malaria medication, but always make sure about repellant and we have never had a problem.

I am not saying to ignore any advise, but I am saying to use the good advise and discard the rest.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Even though Kruger is a low risk malaria area, Late summer (March-May) are the highest risk times.

I would give the kids malaria meds AND be sure they don't get bitten by spraying them with anti bug formulaes late afternoon, and burning coils, spraying the chalet, or using mozzie mats before your afternoon drive etc to create a safe area to sleep in.

Biggest thing to remember is that if the child weighs less than 25kg, it is difficult to treat them if they do contract malaria.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 81  Next