Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

wildflowergirl
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Epilepsy and anti-malaria medication

Unread postby wildflowergirl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 pm

There is a "natural" antimalaria product on the market too. artimisia ( not sure about spelling). manufactured by Nordmans. I prefer to use this when going to a malaria area, not a big fan of Doxy.
You might get me out of the bush, but you won't get the bush out of me, it's deep in my heart

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Re: Upset Stomach with Malarone

Unread postby anne-marie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Like you I took many years Malarone... and last time (2009) I was so sick I stop the medication :shock:
This year (2011) I asked for something else... they (University Policlinic of Lausanne) give me SUPRACYCLINE tabs (Doxycycline) and give me something "Motilium" against upset.
But, there is a but, SUPRACYCLINE is a little bit new and maybe could do some skin problems with the sun... for me all was ok during more than 2 months and without need of Motilium :D
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:59 am

WFG, I would be very interested to know if the product you're using for malaria prophylaxis contains ONLY the drug artemisinin, and what dosage and dosage interval (how many times a day) you are using?

The reason I ask is because, although artemisinin, and its derivatives, such as artemeter, are highly effective against malaria, the WHO (World Health Organisation) is very concerned that use of the drug on it own - and not in combination with another antimalarial - is likely to cause a disaster situation where resistance to artemisinin builds up (for example, in Cambodia).

The main reason that the WHO is so concerned is because artemesinin has proven to be a highly effective TREATMENT for patients infected with uncomplicated plasmodium falciparum (the type that is prevalent in most of Africa, and generally the severest type of malaria infection). It is, i suppose you could say, a wonder drug at the moment because it seems to be giving the best results for such treatments.

Coartem is available in South Africa and many other countries world-wide, and consists of the combinaton of artemether and lumefantrine. In treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria, the artemeter initially eliminates a large amount of the parasite, but then lumefantrine is needed to eliminate the rest of the parasite. Artemeter on its own does not eliminate all of the parasite, and resistance of the parasite to the drug then increases rapidly.

In addition, artemisinin has a very short half-life in the body - which essentially means the amount of time the drug remains in the body in an active state before being eliminated to half its original level. This means that, for artemisinin to be effective for antimalarial prevention, it would have to be taken multiple times a day!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

wildflowergirl
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildflowergirl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 am

PM'ed OWN with the website's details.
You might get me out of the bush, but you won't get the bush out of me, it's deep in my heart

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 am

My 12 year old son and I always take Mefliam and have never experienced any bad reactions. Everyone I have spoken to says it is the one with the least side effects.
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Dabchick
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dabchick » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:20 pm

I agree with Flutterby; mefloquine (brand names Larium or Mefliam) is excellent. I haven't experienced any side-effects from it in all the years that I've taken it. And one only takes it once a week, not everyday like some of the other malaria prophylaxis.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm

All these different experiences underline just how important it is to get advice from medical practioner who knows your medical history. We all react in different ways to different drugs at different times
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm

saraf wrote:All these different experiences underline just how important it is to get advice from medical practioner who knows your medical history. We all react in different ways to different drugs at different times

So true we have used Mefliam for many years with no side effects, when I told my friend about it, she asked her doctor and he told her she could not use it because of her specific liver problems.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm

RIGHT... we have to ask to the Doctor... and to have an orderly :)
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks WFG. :thumbs_up:

After checking the product out - which is from a company claiming to be all-natural in its very few products it markets - and reading up on other sites, I must say that I am still not convinced that I would trust artemisinin on its own to prevent malaria. The half-life is so short (as I mentioned above) that multiple dosing - not the once daily dosing advocated - seems more appropriate (also, dosing that many times a day is just plain inconvenient!); and use of artemisinin on its own will in all probability cause resistance to build up over a relatively short time.

We need to retain at all costs a drug that is highly effective for malaria TREATMENT - millions of people die from malaria annually in the world, mostly sub-Saharan Africa, and most of these are children. I feel it is wrong to whittle away that ace-card because, if the parasites become resistant to this treatment too, where does that leave us regarding malaria in the world? Very much on the back-foot, I fear!

No - until sufficient research convinces me otherwise, I'm sticking to the WHO and South African Department of Health guidelines!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

sybie99

Day Trip with small children - Malaria Risk?

Unread postby sybie99 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi All,

We live in Nelspruit and have not been to the park for about 6 months, which is a form of torture. We now have 2 baby boys, 5 months old. I know its not advisable to visit the park with infants, but I also know that the risk of being bitten is predominantly at night, dusk and dawn. Do you think it is okay to do a day trip to the park and get out before nightfall? We will be in the car most of the time, the kids will be wearing long sleeves and will be rubbed in with baby friendly mozzie repellant. Personally I feel the risk to be so small that I am inclined to go, if we take these precautions and not overnight in the park. What are your feelings and thoughts on this?

Thanks

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Day Trip with small children - Malaria Risk?

Unread postby Pjw » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm

As far as I am aware the risk is no higher in Kruger than anywhere else in the lowveld, which includes Nelspruit. So if you are already living there I doubt the risk is any worse than that which you are exposed to everyday. But please check this with your pediatrician or GP
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Bundi

Unread postby Bundi » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi Sybie

Your risk at home at night in Nelspruit is higher than going to the Park during daytime. Besides malaria mosquitos are only active from dusk to dawn. The same precausions you have been taking so far seems to work OK.

And I just need to ad that I believe it is very advisable to take kids to Kruger. All mine has been going since they were very small and they all loved it and never fell ill. Touch wood. When does it then become 'advisable' to take them? What is the cutt-off age?

My youngest has just turned two and she has been to five African countries already! I am not saying that you should not take precausion, but just that there are too many doom prophets out there.

sybie99

Unread postby sybie99 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks for the replies, I will contact our paediatrician to get his view on the matter. He did think it was safe for my wife to visit for a day whilst preganant if she took all precautions, so I'd imagine the same will apply with the young ones.

Mant

Malaria in March

Unread postby Mant » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:08 am

Hi,

I'm just enquiring if the malaria is bad in March in the southern part of the Kruger because my sister is a little bit worried about taking her children in case they get bitten.

Thanks,

Samantha
Kruger 2015
Satara - 21-24 March

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”