Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: African Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great discussion going on in this thread..nice reading everyones views..

If u take the figure of about 400 dogs that would be good for SA. We've seen that there are about 150 in knp..so 250 dogs will be spread amongst hluhluwe, umfolozi, tembe (think they've been introduced here), mkuze pilansberg, madique, venetia\mashatu area and where else?? No big reserves left like knp to support big numbers..also as another thread discussed, no more dogs in ages in KTP..so surely another 250 dogs in SA is quite good in some ways if you think about it?

Its also known that our farmlands have been mostly hunted out, there is very little place for wild dogs in SA. Random fact is that last naturally roaming wild dog shot in Western Cape was in Langebaan in 1905..then I think Vryberg had one of the last dogs shot out in the area in 1944.

Anyway Mozambique (in Niassa especially), northern Botswana, northern Zim and other parts of Zim, Zambia and especially Tanzania's Selous all have populations that are very healthy.

In October last year we came across 2 packs in the Mana Pools area..one pack was 25 with 6month old pups and the other pack was 10 adults..we also just missed another pack of 11 and close to the gate, the guard told me there was a pack of over 30 in the area. Also some hunting concessions had dogs present in the area..could be that the hunters are killing all the lion and leopard in the area and are thereby giving the dogs fewer enemies up there because by the looks of things the dogs are thriving in northern Zim!! My friend also just saw a nice pack close to Vic Falls in the one CC Africa lodge.

Moral of the story is that yes they are seriously endangered, but still there are lots of postives.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cheetah :thumbs_up:
KendraClaire wrote:
Hey guys, the figures are unfortunately close to reality. These posters were also used at an EWT event in association with St. Stithians Boys Interact Club. It may seem depressing BUT the numbers have recently gone up! There are pups in Tembe and Mkuze and Linyanti. (Botswana) My lastest news from Zim is that there is an estimate of 44 dogs and yearlings in the Hwange area. South africa is one of the only viable populations although there are also small pockets of dogs in Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia (i think) Kenya and Tanzania. Cameroon recently declared their last wild dogs are dead. The future of wild dog conservation does lie here in South Africa with Krugers populations and the recent build up in populations in KZN the future seems relatively bright. :D

Thanx KC...some interesting info and sad about Cameroons dogs!!
However we need to add the Niassa population in northern Mozambique which is supposed to stand at over 400 dogs (Africa magazine 2007 issue I think). With apparently almost no lions in this area the dogs are thriving on concession land.
Not far to the north lies Selous which is supposed to have game corridors in the near future linking it to Niassa. Selous' Wild Dog population stood at 1000 dogs when KNP had 400. Perhaps they have had a decline there too but its regarded as the best stronghold for the species.
Zambia also has dogs in Liuwa Plains (which stretches into Angola), Lower Zambezi, North & South Luangwa and Im not sure but also apparently in Kafue.

All these countries land areas are nowhere as over-utilised as South Africa and there are dogs roaming outside of the parks. Like when in Zimbabwe last year there was a pack on the main highway 1 hours drive from Beit Bridge. There are hundreds of dogs in Zim without a doubt and just from packs Ive counted from what Ive seen and friends have seen between Hwange, Mana Pools, Ghonerezou area, Vic Falls we have over 150 dogs between us excluding reports from land owners. And also in a recent camera trap study, they discovered the presence of wild dog in an area of forest in Kenya which was thought to not have much wildlife.

Post subject: Re: Loss of African wild dog...
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm 

I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works and say that maybe we should be worried. Although there have been some pups lately ( :mrgreen: ) the populations are very low. They are officially the most endangered carnivore in south africa and the second most endangered carnivore in the whole of Africa. The mortality rates for adults and pups have gone up significantly in the past few years because of human infringements. For some people it may not be a worry and +/- 400 may seem like a lot but the reality is that if they keep declining like they are we may be like Cameroon and declare our last wild dogs dead.

Just my 2 cents worth, it's up to you whether you want to listen to it or not... :w:

Post subject: Re: Loss of African wild dog...
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Yes, I agree Kendra. I think humans make the mistake of waiting till the the last instant to save a species. Rhino were successful - we could have lost them quite easily in the early 20th century - and perhaps some people use that as a reason to suggest that we can save most of our wildlife if we want to.

I think we need to worry, and worry big!

Rather put strong processes in place to prevent their decline than try to rescue them ONCE they are on the brink of extinction! The problem also of waiting till animals decline to low population levels is that the genetic pool decreases significantly - and too much inbreeding largely countermands the ability to rescue the species. Although cheetah underwent a natural compromise to their genetic integrity many centuries ago, we are still struggling to increase the populations because the gene pool is not diverse enough. nature didn't intend sexual intercourse as a pleasurable entity primarily for that reason - but to ensure that the genes were spread as far and wide as they could be, thereby strengthening the species. We need to learn from that.

Rhino were saved in time. I can see that several other endangered species will not be - UNLESS we catch a serious wake-up and put a full-scale drive into saving our wildlife. It;s not that there aren't people doing this - there are some amazing conservationists out there - but the problem is that we need a critical mass of people behind the projects, and most especially a full commitment from our government.

Let's keep praying and doing the right thing - and we MAY save our wildlife in time for our grandchildren to enjoy them as much as we did.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Wild Dog sightings- season?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:41 am 

cheetah2111 wrote:
Could it be that they hanging in areas away from the roads in winter?? Or have you seen wild dogs this past winter? 8)

We followed these three guys as they walked along the H1-2 for some 10 minutes at the end of July this winter.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

kittykat23uk wrote:
Hi does anyone have any information about the wild dogs in Kruger in the Orpen area? I was really lucky to see an adult with 4 puppies and would like to know a bit more about the history of the pack they belong to. :thumbs_up: :dance:

Hi OWN and all...loving the discussion going on here. :thumbs_up:

Hey Kittykat23uk, glad you saw the dogs.

That pack has been thriving and I have a friend who works in the Timbavati nearby who regularly sees a pack of about 12 which I think is part of the same original pack. In KNP when the packs reach about 15 adults in size they seem to disperse, so I wonder if this is some sort of breakaway pack as the Orpen pack has been quite large in the last few years even as high as 25 including pups last year.

Or maybe there were more adults in the area hunting while one adult looked after pups.

Anyway in April 2009 I saw the pack hunting (12 adults) close to the turnoff to Talamati/Rabelais dam. If anyone posts pics of this pack it would be interesting to compare patterns to see if any dogs are still surviving as part of the original pack from back then. Here is my memorable sighting from them.

Here they are amongst the traffic...

Stalking...

Chasing...

Speeding motorist (at least 70km/h) on the way to Satara hits the one impala and speeds off...

The Dogs catch an impala in the bush then come back to finish off the half dead impi on the road...they drag it off onto the grass and a few minutes later its skin and bone thats left to the resident jackals...

The pack then runs along the road towards Orpen...theyre seen again the next morning.

Last edited by o-dog on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cheetah2111 :thumbs_up:

onewithnature wrote:
O-dog, and anyone else who might have seen the dogs recently, the sighting of pups means that the pack will be denning at the moment.

Does anyone know where the den is located at the moment? I'm happy too if someone prefers to pm me with the info. We're going to Tamboti for 4 nights in a few week's time, so would be most ecstatic if we could find the dogs - we have missed them by inches the last few times! :roll:

Hey OWN good luck in finding them :thumbs_up: ...if the pups are small you have a great chance :wink:

So this one place I worked (greater KNP near Skukuza), we followed a pack of 11 adults and they denned on our property. The heavily pregnant female found the den site in the beginning of May and had her pups about 20th May. After 3 weeks we saw the 14 pups. After about 2 months they were on a complete meat diet. And after 3 months they left the den site. They were still very small and in the time of 3 months to 6 months 3 pups were taken out mostly by leopards.
At about 7-8 months they were running mostly with the pack.
Apparently in Southern Africa pups are normally born in May-June but there are sometimes exceptions and have heard of dogs being born in October.
The pups that KittyKat23uk saw will probably be about 5 months and so are still small but might not have a den any more.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi o-dog.

This is the pack 7 km from Orpen camp, April 2009.

11 dogs.

20 minutes into the park. Welcome to Kruger :twisted: :dance: :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It was a quiet day after the great start Joao, but a few days later this guy and some of his mates walked under my dad's armpit.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DomInger_69: 2009 Census = 120 or so dogs. Very low but its probably just a natural fluctuation due to various factors. Last 10-15 years have been a wet cycle in the park - when drought returns, they will probably increase in number again.

@ BB - nice sighting :thumbs_up: ...we saw them in the exact same spot also in April 2009 as well -followed them for a few km from the Rabelais/Talamati turnoff. I wonder if we were at the same sighting. I know they have been spending a lot of time there though in the last couple of years.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:27 pm 

Hi

I had 2 sightings of wild dogs in one morning, and can't believe that I can get that lucky, so perhaps the 1st pack was part of the 2nd one. Saw the 1st pack of 9 dogs - 4 adults and 5 younger ones - on the H3 about 400m from the turn off to Mathekenyane view point. This was at 0545 hours. The 2nd sighting was at 0930 hrs on the H5 about 2 km from where it meets S114. This was my best ever sighting with a pack of 17 dogs - 8 adults and 9 younger ones - they were resting all over the road and I was alone with them for almost an hour. Some of the pics of the 1st sighting

The younger ones -

And the seniors

Will post pics of the 2nd sighting later

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:56 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Superb sighting, Sandeep. :clap: :clap: :clap:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:50 am 

Thanks OWN - have to agree it was a great sighting, but the next one was perhaps even better. This is what I saw - traffic jam and a road block with no other vehicle around :D -

Individual dog pics to follow.....

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:06 pm 

Great to hear that the dogies are back in that area :dance: :dance: :dance:

Fantastic pictures, sandeep :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 am 

Thank you C2111, Pumbaa and Anne-marie. Here are some more, mainly indiv pics. The dogs were well fed and looking good :D. Due apologies if I am posting too many pics of the dogs...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next