Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: accessory
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 pm 

:

Last edited by Mutiman on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Camera accessory
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 am 

Hi Mutiman;

I bought one just last week; specifically for my upcoming trip :D

It's effectively a compact beanbag that screws onto the tripod mount of your long lens; which means when you're swinging the lens around from one side of the car to the other, the 'beanbag' stays with you; minimising the amount of time you need to set-up on the other side...

Only been able to give it a brief test so far, (planning to give it a workout at a 'safari-park' next week before we go); but I see no reason why it won't work in practice... (I'm still taking a beanbag just in case); but on the face of things; it looks good...

Cheers...

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Tried it, and gave it away. It's nice for compacts, but for the lenses we use (300+ mm) it's way too small.
And it has an additional hindrance, it screws on, so if you need to turn the lens a bit to keep the horizon level it works against you. Especially if you decide to go for portrait photography.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:08 pm 

:

Last edited by Mutiman on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: accessory
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:45 am 

For anyone who's interested; thought I'd just post-up my experience of testing out the Pod...

Test kit; 40D + 100-400 - mostly fully extended at 400mm... In-car in a safari park in the UK...

Net overall impression; pretty-good. Clearly has plusses & minuses like any other piece of kit. I've yet to find the perfect solution to all eventualities :D

Major plus over a beanbag;
- Fixed to the lens; so when you move the kit from one side of the car to the other; the Pod moves with you and you can settle the lens immediately without needing to re-seat a beanbag.

Major downside;
- Fixed to the lens; so when you want to hand-hold the lens, it's added weight that you need to take into account.

I didn't find the levelling or portrait use an issue. Levelling just needed a jiggle about - just as you would on a beanbag; while using in portrait mode just required slackening off the tripod collar. I did find though that keeping the Pod on the collar in portrait mode worked well when bracing against the car door jam... not something easily done with a beanbag.

In short - I will be taking both the Pod and a beanbag with me in just three weeks time - yippee!