Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Re: Malaria

Unread postby onewithnature » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:34 am

I don't know the area well enough to suggest a pharmacy there, Wilmaw. However, Malarone is only on prescription in SA, so the options will be either a pharmacy that will assist with a few tablets without your friends having a script (there are ways they can do this without breaking the law) or to find a dispensing doctor that has the tablet in stock.

If they haven't started the Malarone course as yet, then another antimalarial may be an option, although it will also be on prescription only. One must also remember that this time of the year is still officially a low-risk antimalarial time (high risk officially begins at the beginning of October), so they might consider not using antimalarial tablets and perhaps only diligently-applied non-drug measures; although it must be said that one cannot rule out risk of contracting malaria altogether, and so the decision to use tablets or not is their choice alone.

If I was them, I would ask the local staff at Punda (ranger, shop manager, reception people, etc.) what they suggest, and where the nearest pharmacy or doctor is located.

Hope they come right. :thumbs_up:

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

JenB
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Re: Malarone near Punda Maria?

Unread postby JenB » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 am

wilmaw, I think you should make contact with a chemist where they would be able to collect the meds from. Possibly Phalaborwa would be your best bet. Explain the situation, I'm sure there is a way the prescription could be filled in for them. They might require their doctor or chemist from Holland to email or fax the original prescription.

I'm sure they would understand and do all they can to help. :)
We once went on holiday and I left all SO's prescription meds behind. I had a quick chat with the local chemist after a call to my doctor, chiff-chaff, I walked out with all I needed. :wink:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

FRUITBAT

Unread postby FRUITBAT » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:00 am

Hello forumites, my adult son is epileptic and we plan to take him to Kruger next February, however, I've always read that people taking anti-convulsants can't take anti-malaria meds. Obviously the risk of contracting malaria in the summer is much higher so am therefore worried. Would be interested to hear from any other forumites who have this same condition and what they do in this case.

Thanks very much

EOS_User

Unread postby EOS_User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 am

Sorry to hear about the luggage problems; hope it all get's resolved quickly & smoothly...

As for the Malarone; there's a very good lesson to be learned here...

We NEVER pack prescription medicines in check-in baggage. ALL such items come on-board with us in hand-luggage! Too late now for this case; but hopefully anybody who reads the thread will take note...

Cheers...

PS: I only looked at the thread because we've just picked our Malarone scrip up - astronomical price :evil: Still - on the up side - just 5 weeks to go... :D

wilmaw

Unread postby wilmaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Thank you everyone!

When I called they were in a town "80km from the gate" which I assume must be Giyani. It seems they found a doctor there.

I am always in 2 minds about taking pills in the "low season" especially since trips are sometimes for 2 days only... it's like insurance or medical aid contributions - you must maar take it because if you don't and you should have, you'll regret it.

Malaria is too scary to mess around with so my motto to others is also "rather safe than sorry". It is the biggest killer in Africa after all.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:43 pm

FRUITBAT I am sure OWN will offer you some good advice soon but the only other suggestion I could give would be to consult with your doctor on this issue.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

wilmaw

Unread postby wilmaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks OWN. I phoned them and the line wasn't 100% but sounds like they found a doctor 80km from the gate which I assume is Giyani... Fortunately they seem to have enough pills to last them until they are closer to Phalaborwa in 3 days' time (Letaba).

onewithnature wrote: pharmacy that will assist with a few tablets without your friends having a script (there are ways they can do this without breaking the law)

I have wondered about this in the past because I myself once obtained it without prescription and I thought maybe I was wrong about the prescription thing... can you elaborate on the "ways they can do this", enlighten us all?

I usually advise overseas visitors to get their stock of pills before they arrive in SA since you have to start taking them before you enter the malaria area anyway, but for the odd situation like this one it will be good to know how it works.

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 pm

There may be a few pharmacies that may give pills without a script, but this is not correct according to the law. However, if you already have a doctor you know, and you inform him of the situation, he may (at his discretion) choose to prescribe pills for you. Many pharmacies will accept a faxed prescription from the doctor's rooms for antimalarials. Others will accept a telephonic script from the doctor, usually with the assertion that the doctor follows up with a faxed script later. Understand, though, that telephonic/faxed scripts are only dispensed if the pharmacist chooses to accept this method (he cannot be forced), as an original script in the hand is first prize. However, with the growing methods of telecommunications, faxes have become more acceptable, depending also on the schedule of the medicine.

Hope that gives you some guidance, Wilmaw?

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

wilmaw

Unread postby wilmaw » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Yes.. thanks. :thumbs_up:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Wilmaw, if your friends are still in Punda, please see a PM from me to you with a message from the Hospitality Manager there.
Sawubona
Dalene

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:28 pm

:thumbs_up:
EVERYBODY'S TR!

FRUITBAT

Unread postby FRUITBAT » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:51 am

Hi OWN, please can you give me some advice with regards to my recent query :
Thanks very much

Hello forumites, my adult son is epileptic and we plan to take him to Kruger next February, however, I've always read that people taking anti-convulsants can't take anti-malaria meds. Obviously the risk of contracting malaria in the summer is much higher so am therefore worried. Would be interested to hear from any other forumites who have this same condition and what they do in this case.

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 am

Hi Fruitbat. Sorry I missed your earlier query.

It very much depends on what medicines he is on. Please send me a pm, telling me how old he is, where you will be staying and for how long, all the chronic meds he takes and their dosages, and I'll advise from there. Summer is indeed considered a high risk area in Kruger, so we need to find a way forward.

Remember too that epileptics may also have other triggers (e.g. heat), so don't forget to look at everything holistically.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

FRUITBAT

Unread postby FRUITBAT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks very much for your reply OWN, I have pm'd you.

CarlaLo

Unread postby CarlaLo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 am

I would like to find out if there is a higher risk in some area in the Kruger compare to others? For instance Punda Maria camp compare to Skukuza?

We are visiting the park in mid October 2011. We have never taken anti malaria meds when visiting, just preventative measures. I'm currently pregnant and would like to know if it will help if we stayed more south than north??

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”