Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Its clear that all the advice you have been given is from those with good knowledge of the area.

Take it easy getting there and really search the open areas around the waterholes on the way up...very often exciting things around.
As mentioned Nyala drive and the bridge is a must.

But without a doubt the drive to Crooke's Corner is fantastic...take it slow and make sure you scan every view point along the river very well...there is fantastic birding with Bee-eaters, Storks and Trumpeter Hornbills and many other specials for the KNP.

THe temp will probably be hot and humid - often around 35-40 in december so make sure your drives around Pafuri are done before breakfast if possible.

Getting back to Shingwedzi is tiring in the heat after an action pack morning around the Pafuri area but you can average about 40-45km/h as the heat means usually little activity going on.

A stop at Babalala (translated to sleeping baby I think, which is quite applicable because its hard to stay awake on the way back :) ) is a must and the Mpongolo Loop is fantastic if youre not too tired!

Keep an eye out for rare antelope on this drive with Tsessebe, Eland and Roan all being exciting posibilities!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We're also Southerners, michievdb.
The North is a different place... :whistle:
We visited the North in June (you can read all about our experiences in my TR), and we really enjoyed it.
But it is different.
The fact to remember with your question, is that sightings are not as common along the tar road between Shing and Pafuri as they are on the tar road between Lower Sabie and Skukuza.
This translates to you driving there and back faster than you would do the same distance in the South.

We really fell in love with Pafuri.
It is now officially my favourite picnic spot in KNP! :thumbs_up:
So please do this trip... You'll LOVE it! :thumbs_up:

26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SusieB wrote:
We did this day trip from Shingwedzi a couple of weeks ago, leaving at gate opening 06:00 and returned easily before gate close at 18:00. We had a quick leg stretch at Babalala on the way and on the way back and hired a skottel and cooked brunch at Pafuri. If you have your yellow ribbon on I'm sure Frank will come and say hello if he's there.

It was a lovely day trip as I had never been that far north before and the landscape up around Pafuri/Crooks corner was so different from the south and very beautiful. It is a long day, but worth it (maybe keep the kids up the night before so they sleep on the way back! :wink: )

I see where Bushbuddies is coming from in general terms of fewer sitings than in the south on this road, however we got lucky and had the best leopard siting (including kill) of our entire 2 week + trip on this road that morning just north of Babalala....so as always you just never know when you will get lucky!

Have a great trip!

NOw i want to know what happened here with the kill? Did you see it happen and what was killed and any pics?? Shingwedzi has probably produced some of our best leopard sightings but dont think ive seen them north of Babalala

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 pm 

o-dog wrote:

NOw i want to know what happened here with the kill? Did you see it happen and what was killed and any pics?? Shingwedzi has probably produced some of our best leopard sightings but dont think ive seen them north of Babalala

OK just for you....

It started off a a nice siting of the leopard in a dip at the side of the road with a very small pool of water.

There was a fallen log across the water suddenly the leopard lept up and ran across the log, got a pic but not a great one as we weren't prepared for the sudden action.

It disappeared out of sight into some bushes behind the waterhole.
So we waited in hope that it might reappear and give us a second chance. After 10 minutes or so, there was a lot of movement in the bushes.... a few minutes later we were rewarded as the leopard reappeared jumped once again onto the log an ran across with what I now know is a Cane rat in it mouth.

Made our day and perhaps even our trip!! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey SusieB what a fantastic sighting and so well captured, great pics...thanx for sharing :clap:

I had a feeling it was going to be really interesting...so I am glad I enquired :wink: :D

Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:24 am 
okie wrote:
In September the Shingwedzi river still had some patches of water . Otherwise very very dry , but the impala lilies in camp was absolutely magnificent and a sight to behold :clap:

And the drier it is the better the Impala lilies seem to look.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:34 pm 

adw,

As you can see I was also in the dark about Shingwedzi.At the end we did stay there in November 2011.
-On the negative side;
the veld was burned down all the way to Punda both sides of the road. So sightings was limited.
the fan 's in the huts is not that "HOT", I think that will not be a big problem in September.
- Positive Side
A trip up to Croocks Coner and the Fever tree forest is a definitive must
If you l look for diversity in the wild live, Tsesebe,Eland,Roan..
We work the South with great results.
If you have a look at the trip report by Flying Cheetha , we met at Shingwedzi, it will be very interesting to hear his opinion. Because at that stage he was having a trip and a halve and needs a lot more to top the South.
Well the braai's is still such as good as in the South and the beer I think taste better (the heat) :wink:

I think to have something different it is a great choice.Have a great time. :mrgreen:

NO to frackers products

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
PygmyFalcon wrote:
Hi allWe're going to Shingwedzi in June, how is the area looking and rain fall lately?
So looking forward to it.

There has been very little rain , it is much drier than normal .

The riverbed at the camp is quite dry , but Kanniedood has lots of water .
The Mopani trees are still brilliantly green , with lots of dense grass inbetween , making animals difficult to see .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pygmy -- go and enjoy :)

By the way , did you know that Shingwedzi was voted by Hon rangers as Best run camp for 2008 , 2010 and 2011 ? :clap: :clap:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

tent dweller wrote:
We always make a point of stopping at Shingwedzi to make breakfast at the day visitors area, it is really well run and the surrounds are really great, lots of bird life and also a real "bush feel"

Did you know that as from dec 2011 the day visitors picnic area was moved to just before the main camp entrance on the right , and there is no longer a view of the river ?
There was excessive congestion around the wht you know as the current / old picnic site , I understand the old one is / will be closed.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were in Shingwedzi from 11 till 18 May and been kept awake by lions for 6 out of the 7 nights. Great camp with fantastic game viewing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shingwedzi is one of the best camps to spot Lions and I am saying from experiance because there is a huge pride of Lions which call Shingwedzi home and there main area is around and very close to the camp itself. I have stayed at Shingwedzi for many years now and every time I have stayed there, I have seen Lions and heard them at night as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Shingwedzi is awesome!! :clap:

Even with some new upgrades it still retains it's old world bush feeling. :dance:
The first time I ever stayed there, I felt I was in Africa proper!! :thumbs_up:

We are staying there in December, and can't wait! :thumbs_up:

Hoping the restaurant wont serve cold toasties though, as last time we were there Nov 2011 they were awful. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:21 pm 

We will be staying at Shingwedzi in a few weeks from now!
I love the area around Mopani, and we always go up to Shingwedzi when we stay at Mopani.

Is it possible to do a day trip from Shingwedzi to Punda Maria? And Pafuri?

The north really is my favourite part of the park :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:46 pm 

Yes its is perfectly possible. A long day, you need to be out from gate opening time and back late

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next