SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

gmlsmit wrote:
Shingwedzi is just a wonderful place to be; maybe hot in summer but so rewarding. Oh yes I almost forgot, maybe - just maybe you will also see the White Rhino we found in September 2010 about 2.5 km to the east of the place I mentioned above, along the cool river.

GML Smit - you may recall that near to the above place the lions roared one night - was it the same night the rhino appeared - and the day you left my friend who arrived to join me for the last night saw them from Kanniedood dam road - they were on the opposite river bank and very close to the "fever tree forest" ....

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:31 pm 

Blouaap, you're going to have a ball!! But be aware, you'll never feel the same about the north again.. :naughty: Shingwedzi is addictive! Just remember Tshanga lookout point as well, same road as Red Rocks, just about 20 kilo's further on with it. And if you're up to it, try to make Pafuri. If you leave really early you'll make it easily because of the times the gates open and close in December. Go via Babalala and Punda. You're going to need the comfort breaks, but I did it before and surely will do it again come next year. Saw lions, leopard, roan and eland on our way to Pafuri! :shock: :D

@Gmlsmit, very well said!! :clap: With your "gevleulde woorde" (winged words) you can easily give oom Oubaas a go, and most probably beat him at that!! :lol: Cant wait for my 8 nights there next June :dance:

Letaba 07/07/2011 - 08/07/2011
Skukuza 09/07/2011

Post subject: Re: What's Shingwedzi like??
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

I am from the north part of Kruger and visit the park every 2 weeks and always travel between Punda and Shingwedzi, and stayed more than 400 nights now in Shingwedzi. Its a beautiful camp with a dry river bed over viewing the camp. There is a pride of lions I got to know, also known as the shingwedzi pride. It has 1 male and severel females with about 6 cubs. in my 9 out of 10 trips I have seen them resting in a loop which comes just before the bridge where you allowed to come out of the car if you coming from camp and if you coming from Punda it is after you croosed the bridge. The most beautiful loop is the Kanniedood Dam and the bird hide is quite scarry but has beautiful bird life and I have seen a leopard once at the bird hide. The mphongolo loop is home to alot of elephants and buffalo. There is a lion pride there but I cant remember the pride members with a shy residence leopard which I normally see just after Babalala picnic spot. There is a huge amount of elephant population in this area, and sometimes they can be quite grumpy. There are 2 white rhinos which I see on the main road just before babalala which dont like human confrontation which normally hide behind a bush as soon as they see a car. The red rocks loop is really good as well. I have not seen any predotors in that loop yet but has wounderful scenary. The Punda area does not have hyaena's but there is a lion pride which I usually see in the Mahoni loop as which is around the camp, there teritory is from Thulamela loop which is the first loop after you enter the gate to punda camp. There are 3 young males who took over the pride from a male named scar. I havent seen the Pafuri are of the park but hopefully my info is helpful. by the way the main road after the bridge to shingwedzi camp is also a part where lions are normally seen on the river bank.

Post subject: Re: What's Shingwedzi like??
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

oddesy wrote:
One word to describe shingwedzi is SPECIAL :D

You will definatley have a great trip, the unique scenery, the peacefulness and just the shingwedzi feel will make it worthwhile.

Enjoy :thumbs_up: :mrgreen:

Indeed, WONDERFUL SCENERY, lovely loops, lots of animals and a special feeling...... Shingwedzi is like: my favorite place on earth :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:34 pm 

Taken June this year :)

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:01 pm 

Hi Blouaap: Bush Baptist is correct about the birds. I have got some of my best birding pictures inside Shingwedzi - go to the bushy area just south of the filling station on the road to the swimming pool. There is a bench there in the bush. Sit on it and wait. I got numerous species within a few minutes of sitting still, including some really close up shots where the birds came to me rather than the other way round. Also very good are the thickets one finds on the caravan camp. I have got lots of birds there including my best ever shot of a Puffback. Look out for the woodpeckers (I find them by listening and then following the noise). I take about two hours to do a slow walk of the camp and get marvelous pictures of birds (and squirrels, mice, etc). They are very habituated to movement of people and as long as one moves slowly the birds just go on doing birdy things.
Keep well
Pete

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I stayed in Shingwedzi again in December. It's a great camp for birds, saw a lot of new ones. The staff were friendly and the general area was very beautiful.
This is the view from the restaurant:

This is the view from the bungalow during some rain

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]

And the causeway was stunning as always

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Cheetah - drive to Babalala via the Mphongolo loop . And Pafuri picnic spot is about 90 km from Shingwedzi for a great days outing :lol:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
If I am not mistaken, the Kannidood road goes on to Grootvlei, where you can drive along the dam wall.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
While we were in Tsendze in July we took a drive to Shingwedzi one day, we were pleasantly surprised by the day-visitors picnic area. Everything was spotless, the attendants were friendly,helpful and on the ball. We hired a skottel and made a "lekker" breakfast in a really tranquil part of such a busy camp.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post subject: PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:15 pm 

I absolutely LOVE the KRUGER. I visited many camps, but mostly to the South of KNP. Now my husband and I decided to explore the Northern areas as well. :D We booked in Shingwedzi and Mopani in December for a week. :dance:

We have always been very fond of the Pafuri area even though I haven't experienced it in real life. So my question is the following: Is it possible to do a whole day's trip to the Pafuri region from Shingwedzi?
We have two children aged 6 AND 11. I don't know if they will be able to handle the long road for a day trip.

Any suggestions? Where is the best place to have breakfast or lunch on this road trip?

Post subject: Re: PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is certainly do-able, and not too difficult at all. If you make sure you have an early start, you could be at the Pafuri picnic spot before it gets too hot and have a brunch there.

I am not totally certain of the distance, but it should not be much more than 3 hours each way.

I am sure some other forumites who know the area better will also advise you :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It's roughly 87 kilometers, so Billy is quite correct with the 3 hours. It's another 10 kilometers (each way) to Crooks corner which is a must if you are there anyway. That is one of the best drives in the whole of Kruger.
You'll have to budget time a bit, but on the way back you'll be on tar all the time so you can make some speed.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:31 am 
Guru
Guru

In addition to previous feedback, I would advise that you make a day outing (versus a half day outing), leave at gate opening time (04:30), as said, to be there for breakfast and yes, the Crooks Corner Drive is a must and try and include the Nyala Drive along the western portion of the Luvuvhu, indeed super drives.
Normally by 10:00 or 11:00 it will be nice and hot and I would then return via Punda Maria, which is not really a major detour but offers you a nice break at Punda Camp and kids can take a dive into the pool there.
From there via tar road back to Shingwedzi. Enjoy!

JOEP STEVENS

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I did the drive in May when gates were opening later and closing earlier than in December and had the time for all the places I wanted to visit. I agree with DuQues and Joep, the Nyala loop (always saw lots of general game there) and the drive to Crooks corner (amazing landscape) are "must drives", I would also recommend to go to Klopperfontain. Was big herds of buffs and several Ellies there and two years ago I missed a lion kill by less than five minutes. Another hot spot is the Luvuvhu bridge where you can also stretch your legs :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next