Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics






Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 11 of 12
 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Should the names of people banned be made public on the forums?
Poll ended at Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:32 pm
Yes Poll results disabled
No Poll results disabled
Total votes : 90
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:14 pm 
Offline
Guru
Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:02 am
Posts: 146
Location: PRETORIA
Richprins wrote:
Hello, Wanda, and nice to see you on the forums again! :thumbs_up:

As you quoted me, I shall respond as follows:

To continue your analogy, I have abundant experience of teenagers, being a teacher, and have found that parents are to blame for most problem children!

This could be either too much or too little discipline, for example, and the mods are doing a fine job, I agree!

But I don't know if they are the "parents" here, and most forumites are not children? :wink:

I don't quite understand the rest of your post regarding the topic...so what is your opinion on banned members being named?

RP I hope you know that the parents vs children statement was just a quip. As for publishing or not publishing the names of banned forumites I, unfortunately, do not have an opinion. I thought that the poll was set up to establish this question but judging from the comments of those who posted it would seem that the matter cannot be settled that easily. I am sitting this one out. Unfortunately I cannot help you on what you say you don't understand because I don't know which part you don't understand. I thought I was being clear and simple - I certainly stayed away from my signature five line sentences. :lol:
Bush Happy wrote:
Are you for real DuQues??????

You seriously need to get a grip!!!
That is uncalled for. This is the kind of language that gets people hot under the collar and does not assist in constructive debate.

Bush Happy wrote:
My question was deleted in RP's thread(that was deleted/censored) but I will ask it again:

How often is a Moderators performance reviewed??
I am not sure where this is coming from, unless there is something I am missing in previous posts. However, I will answer. We have constant discussions with the Mods and are aware of what they do all the time. When they make a decision that requires intervention, we do so. That for me is enough performance evaluation. It is not like they have to now fill in a balanced scorecard sheet, they are volunteers afterall. They don't even get remunerated for the work they do and the long hours they put in. What is your gripe really?

_________________
wanda mkutshulwa
Head of Communications
South African National Parks (SANParks)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:43 pm 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 10:13 pm
Posts: 1901
Location: Slightly Off Center
Bush Happy wrote:
So, because he was passionate about conservation, SANPARKS are considering naming and shaming him, and as DuQues has threatened, will have a trouble finding a job??


Exactly at what stage was anyone threatened? As far as I can see DuQues said that the choice of naming people could have the aftermath of them having trouble with certain job interviews.

But then again... Maybe I am just not "passionate" enough to read it as a threat

:roll: :hmz:

_________________
You gotta be careful: don't say a word to nobody about nothing anytime ever!
I don't pretend to be captain weird. I just do what I do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:58 pm 
Offline
Guru
Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:02 am
Posts: 146
Location: PRETORIA
Bush Happy wrote:
Sure have Brummie!

Lets take Forumite X, who was recently banned. He had a history on this forum of sharing and imparting his vast wealth of knowledge on matters relating to SANPARKS. He did extensive research and had some wonderful threads.

He was passionate!!

Then, an issue arose that he felt was worth speaking out against.

He was branded a 'purist, a 'rascist' etc in the public media, not just on these forums.

So, it's fair to say he felt slightly aggrieved.

So, because he was passionate about conservation, SANPARKS are considering naming and shaming him, and as DuQues has threatened, will have a trouble finding a job??


BushHappy I must say this and be very emphatic about it. Being passionate is not a license to be rude and overbearing - not that I am saying your person is because I do not even know who you refer to. Neither does being knowledgeable about a subject give you liberties beyond "mere mortals". Everyone, no matter how important they think they are, must be sanctioned when they behave in a manner that is anti-social. This is not a forum about expertise but a platform to discuss conservation issues and SANParks, no matter how little information people have. Noone, and I repeat, noone will be intimidated by anyone in this forum no matter the contribution of that person. Nobody put a gun to that participant's head and forced them to participate. They did it voluntarily and you shall not hold us at ransom for their departure. I would like to assume that everyone in this forum is an adult or a near adult and so fully understands and appreciates the consequences of their actions. We are not here to teach people how to behave and neither are we here to take abuse from people who cannot hold their tempers. If they are used to doing that with their friends, family and acquaintances, unfortunately we are not kind of crowd. Here everyone will respect others and will conduct themselves with dignity and restraint. Above all you will not make unproven allegations against any member of this forum. Please stop verbally abusing other forumites and I say that with absolute restraint.

_________________
wanda mkutshulwa
Head of Communications
South African National Parks (SANParks)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:04 pm 
Offline
Guru
Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:02 am
Posts: 146
Location: PRETORIA
And one more thing Bushhappy, SANParks is not considering "naming and shaming" anyone. Get your facts straight before you make statements. It was explained in earlier posts that the reason the Mods chose to have this poll is because there have been calls from others to do so. Now, in your mind which part in this says SANParks is considering naming and shaming banned people? This is a public forum. Be carefull of what you say and who you accuse. If you are so unhappy being here really why are you stressing yourself so much? In fact why are you stressing others with your unhappiness?

_________________
wanda mkutshulwa
Head of Communications
South African National Parks (SANParks)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:53 am
Posts: 243
Wanda, just to clarify:

Quote:
but a platform to discuss conservation issues


Only if it does not put SANPARKS in a bad light. Right?

Quote:
That is uncalled for. This is the kind of language that gets people hot under the collar and does not assist in constructive debate.



I have been issued a warning privately but as I am being publicly cautioned as well, and as I have not received an answer from the Mods yet, what is the difference between what I said and what SANPARKS wrote:

Quote:
Please grow up. Show some gratitude


They look kind of similar to me??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:53 am
Posts: 243
As I said to the Mods who asked a simialr question to yours
:
Quote:
If you are so unhappy being here really why are you stressing yourself so much? In fact why are you stressing others with your unhappiness?


It is because I am unhappy with the direction SANPARKS is taking, and if I don't voice opposition to it, who will??

I am unhappy because I don't like being censored! There is an article on News24 today, discussing the hotel, yet we are not allowed to. Conservation bodies are opposed to it, yet we can't say a thing! I will not be complicit in this, and by my very silence, I will be.


Last edited by Bush Happy on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:19 pm
Posts: 7913
Location: Portsmouth, England
As an example of what Duco was saying.

An undergraduate applied for an internship here recently. Before the interview we did a quick internet search and in half an hour came up with 8 pages of information on her, her activities and dislikes and likes. We are IT professionals yes, but not trained investigators or HR professionals. We did nothing illegal or went to anywhere any member of the public couldn't go to. So people are checked on, its not a threat, its just something to be aware of.

_________________
Green or White? Vote now at SANParks/Unite Against Poaching windbreaker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:53 am
Posts: 243
Perhaps this will answer your question Wanda

Quote:
All that is required for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:19 pm
Posts: 7913
Location: Portsmouth, England
Bush "Happy", I think you've made your point.

And people have had their say on here about the hotels. The thread was open for 2 years, had 54743 views and 3999 replies. Everyone had their chance to comment.

_________________
Green or White? Vote now at SANParks/Unite Against Poaching windbreaker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:53 am
Posts: 243
And a few were banned for their stance, yes?


Last edited by DinkyBird on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See rule # 12.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:47 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:19 pm
Posts: 7913
Location: Portsmouth, England
Bush Happy, I am Proudly British and have no idea what the Afrikaans means.

Also, I know of only one person who has been banned and that was a number of years ago. I do not know why the person was banned and I found out about the ban because I was carrying out voluntary tasks on behalf of the forum for which banned members were excluded, for obvious reasons.

But I have enough confidence in the Mods through my interaction with them in the 6.5 years I have been a member to know that they followed stipulated procedures and that any bans, if issued, were as a result of members not abiding by the rules they agree to by signing up to be a member.

_________________
Green or White? Vote now at SANParks/Unite Against Poaching windbreaker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:54 pm
Posts: 43036
Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Bush Happy wrote:
And a few were banned for their stance, yes?
No. No one has been banned for their stance on the hotels. This has been explained over and over on the forums by the moderators.

Have a read through the rules of the forums ... it is very clear there why and how members get banned.

_________________
Sawubona
Dalene


It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:05 pm 
Offline
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 am
Posts: 2219
Location: Arizona, USA
I believe that the handling of the hotel issue by SANParks and on the forum (mods and mites alike) has caused frustration and has been a catalyst for bad behavior that has lead to bannings. L

BUT

Said bad behavior was a choice and the actions of the banned were their own choices and their own responsibility.

On the hotel issue as a catalyst, many new developments have come up that deserve comment as the issue isn't a static one. We certainly wouldn't lock the poaching thread for the same reason, although not much new has been said there in years.

_________________
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:54 pm
Posts: 43036
Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
DinkyBird wrote:
Bush Happy wrote:
And a few were banned for their stance, yes?
No. No one has been banned for their stance on the hotels. This has been explained over and over on the forums by the moderators.

This is in fact an excellent example of why members have suggested to the forum admin to consider naming banned members and the reasons for the bans.

The forum admin do not disclose or reveal why a member was banned. However nothing stops the banned member telling a very one sided story. And as a result misinformation is posted on the forums.

_________________
Sawubona
Dalene


It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:38 pm 
Offline
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:02 pm
Posts: 17115
Location: mind in SA, body in The Netherlands
Please quote your source Bush Happy
Its a rule on this forum

_________________
Submit your Images


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Webcams Highlights

Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Submitted by Anonymous at 21:33:18 Submitted by kyknetta at 07:39:11 Submitted by Foxy at 07:47:08 Submitted by cmh at 08:04:06