SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Buffet dinners at Tree Restaurants in North of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Look, let's face it .
The further into the country-side , far away from main ware-house distribution centres, the more expensive goods will become .
Petrol and diesel is more expensive and so are other commodities .
Even accommodation in small country villages are very expensive and prices charged often the same as for 4 star hotels in the cities :big_eyes:

Now let's consider a camp like Shingwedzi .
It is about 360 kilometers from Nelspruit and almost the same from Polokwane ( both main centres ) . Shingwedzi would probably at most only receive deliveries say twice weekly
therefore produce is already a few days old when arriving at central ware-house and can therefore be up to 10 days old by the time it arrives at destination :wall: .
And delivery costs ( diesel ) is expensive :naughty:
If you really think about it , that shop in Shing really caters mainly for the local staff :hmz:
Now, put yourself in their shoes and think about how you would like to live under those circumstances

So , the only things that are fresh they can really offer us , are sunshine , fresh air , and a big smile :D to go with it .
And of course, nature in the raw.

But isn't that why we go there :hmz: Enjoy it while you can :lol:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I wouldn't mind paying more for a nice dinner in the bigger camps in KNP, as long as it is edible.
Our experience is, however, the same as most of the responses above.
The food is of a very poor quality and you really feel being ripped off afterwards.
We normally have a braai every evening, and on the last night before we leave, we normally went to a restaurant for dinner.
The last time we did that, was about two years ago, because we needed some sandwiches when we came back at the chalet after "dinner". :shock:

Nowadays we only enjoy the fresh air, sunshine, nature and hopefully big smiles in KNP, like Okie said.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:11 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Yes, we do much the same Hilda. We just buy fresh milk if needed.

Oh, and we did buy a cooked chicken from the shop at Skukuza in March, which was yummy and similar price to Pick n Pay. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 pm 

I wonder whether anyone from the Compass Group bother reading these posts!
If they do, I wonder whether they care.

I find it sad that both local and foreign opinion of the catering and prices in Kruger is the same.
Restaurants are empty and the majority of buffet food goes to waste.

Transport costs are not as bigger item as indicated if discounted by the higher rentals and operating costs in major cities.
Surely produce can be found near Kruger, thereby benefiting surrounding communities.

Four star hotels on the boundary of Kruger offer five star buffets at R135 per person compared to the R175 per person in Kruger (a 30% discount) and you have to book to get a table (which used to be the case in Kruger).

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:02 pm 

I must just add to the rest of this forum, that I did indeed receive a email reply from Mashilo Diala , the Assistant Operations Manager |Compass Game Park Services.
Please see below for reply....thank you Mashilo, much appreciated.

[i]Dear Michael,
Thank you for your feedback and support. We are glad you had a fantastic stay at both Shingwedzi and Letaba.
Michael, there are three restaurants that are offering buffet and these restaurants are Skukuza, Satara and Lower Sabie.
These are our big three restaurants.
All other restaurants offer a la carte menu and only offer buffet when there is a booking of 15 pax and more.
As for the prices, we consider them to be very competitive.
On the a la carte menu the prices start from 18.30 to 114.80 with an average pricing of R51.38.
Buffets and Braais have choices from 79.90 to 169.90.

We appreciate you support and hope you will find the above information concurring with what you experienced in our restaurant during your stay in the park.

Regards,

Mashilo Diala |Assistant Operations Manager |Compass Game Park Services

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 am 

Hi Michael

I have just returned from a wonderful trip to Kruger, from Punda to Lower Sabie.

A very limited and pricey buffet is available at Satara and Skukuza only.
Lower Sabie has not offered a buffet for about six months.
There were only about three tables eating from the buffet at Satara (although the camp was full).

We ate at the Selati Restaurant at Skukuza.
It was well patronized and offered the only viable option for a good night out in Kruger.

The manager at Lower Sabie has added about five specials to the new menu and they were very popular (T-bone steak, mini braai, braaied chicken and pap and for the first time in over a year there are actually warm vegetables on offer).
The service at Lower Sabie was friendly and helpful.
I hope that they continue to use their own initiative, as the seem to better placed to develop a viable eating experience.

Although the new menu seems to be popular at lunch times, very few guests are using the restaurants for dinners, choosing to self cater instead.

Post subject: Restaurants in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 am 

Hey guys,

I was wondering what everyone thought about the current restaurant and menu in Kruger? It would be great if there was a poll for that!

I got to say Letaba, Lower Sabie and Olifants had really excellent service and the food was much better than at the other camps. The service was fantastic at all the restaurants but sometimes the food was not so great (especially at Skukuza!)

I especially liked Lower Sabie as they are doing something a little different with their daily specials board and coffee and donuts! And if you haven't tried their muffins.... Yum! :D (Excellent job Lower Sabie!) :thumbs_up: I think it would be great if all the camps had daily specials or each had their own speciality dish. It gets pretty monotonous seeing the same menu every day at every camp...

Not to sound like an old fart (again! lol) but I miss the days of the set menu that changed every day. I would gladly pay more for a better dining experience and would definitely pay more for anything that is not fast food!

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Restaurants in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Janine, are you worried about the old bit, or the fart bit? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry about voicing your opinion. Its important for improvement.

I tend to be a snacker and in Kruger more so. I find that the long driving and heat can leave me feeling less than excited about food. For this reason I tend to stick to venison rolls.. absolutely yummy and lighter dishes. Well if you can can bacon and egg sarmie lighter :wink:

I do wish that there would be more variety. Fast foods just don't do it for me and some of the bigger menus are just... well.. too big.

Having said that, I noticed a big improvement at Lower Sabie with service. Good for them :thumbs_up:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Afsaal has had to up its game I think, now that it is no longer allowed to serve draught. I found the coffee wait too long, but I think that it was due to a malfunctioning coffee machine. My food came very quickly, so much so that I was off wandering around when it was ready.

I had a meal at Tshokwane, but they are still struggling from the effects of the flood. It will take time to get their rhythm.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Janine :yaya: the breakfast wraps and service at Berg-en-Dal were excellent when we had breakfast there in May. Can’t wait for the “pap and wors” at Tshokwane during our November visit.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

One restaurant that stands out for me is Mopani. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just got back from Kruger and i must say that Best all round camp will be Lower Sabie.
Very Clean Camp, staff Very friendly and so willing to help. The Restaurant service and food is excellent.
Sitting on the deck and having lunch, i noticed the Restaurant Manager personally picking up the litter that have floan of the deck by wind. In my eyes thats a very dedicated Manager. :clap:
As for the rest of the southside of the park :naughty: Service revamp please

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Isn't it strange how we can see things so differently from others. :whistle:
Some will say LS is awful, others the best in their opinion, some favour Letaba, we had cold toasties there twice last year, and waited ages for them to come!!

A lot will depend on which mamager is on duty...some are better than others, and which staff are on duty, as again some are better than others!! Also some of us are more easily pleased than others!! :whistle:

I agree with Petra......I have yet to have a bad experience at Mopani. :clap:

I will also join Janine in being an "old fart".............I loved the old set menu meals and being called to dinner by the drums.........the meals were always lekker and so cheap!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Crested Val wrote:
I loved the old set menu meals and being called to dinner by the drums.........the meals were always lekker

:D Crested Val those were nice food if I remember well. Everything from soup to fish to main meal to pudding :thumbs_up: . I remember that the custard always had a distinct slightly burnt taste to it but as children we loved it :D . We always :sleep: well after those meals dreaming of the bush.

They can dish up nice food today in the restuarants and do so by providing good to excellent service. I have experienced it personally and recently in Kruger, so it is possible :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 am 

@ JV -
Quote:
I was wondering what everyone thought about the current restaurant and menu in Kruger? It would be great if there was a poll for that!
This suggestion has been sent onto SANParks Business Development.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I love the freshly baked scones at Skuz :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next