Skip to Content

BB meets BB in CT - why not you also?

Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: BB meets BB in CT - why not you also?

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 am

What a great time!

Nice to see some 'regulars' and welcome newbies, as we met with Brooklyn Birder & SO, who made it in spite of the long flights(s). Have a great time here & in Kgalagadi.Hope Leon takes you to lots of lifers and the black maned monsters.

Nice to meet Rookie & SO and hear some scare stories.
Munchkin & SO enjoyed themselves (as they always do)!
P@m was alone again as SO is away.
DB & Hawk, after a visit about 4 years ago, are now official members of the CT forumites and wasted no time in asking me to organise a forum birding outing. So in the spring I will do so. If you are not a birder and you would llke to start somewhere, this is for you. None of us is hotshot enough to be intimidating, and the emphasis is on fun. Please come along.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:52 am

Bush Baptist wrote:What a great time!
Ditto!

Thank you all for making Hawk and me so welcome as CT mites. You are indeed a special group and it was great to finally meet you guys in person. We so look forward to the birding meet BB, thanks for being prepared to arrange one, and look forward to all future CT meets.

It was such a lovely evening - wonderful to share time with folk who love this forum so much and love SANParks and nature. I could have listened to your stories for hours more.

BrooklyBirder, SO and Leon ... so glad the weather here is perfect for you guys today. Have an awesome time in the Cape and on your travels. Lovely to have met you!

BB - thanks for arranging last night.
Sawubona
Dalene

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 am

What a great meet -- again :lol:

BB -- thanks for organizing -- and thanks to other BB for giving us the excuse -- hope you have a wonderful time here and a great trip to KTP :thumbs_up:

So nice to have met DB and Hawk at long last too :clap:

PS Crested Val will be in Melkbos on Sept 1st and there's a Spur there too !

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm

p@m wrote:PS Crested Val will be in Melkbos on Sept 1st and there's a Spur there too !

Is that an invitation p@m?
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Anyone able to get there would be very welcome!!! :thumbs_up:
Or failing that, a quick meet at the airport when we arrive!! :dance:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Hawk and I will be at the airport :thumbs_up:
Sawubona
Dalene

BrooklynBirder

Unread postby BrooklynBirder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 pm

We just have a moment of wifi here at Berthas restaurant in Simonstown. We had aGreat time at the meet and it was such a fun way to spend our first evening. So great to meet you all and thanks to BB for arranging it all. So far we've had fabulous weather and 89 birds! Probably won't have wifi for awhile so will check in asap. Tomorrow we are off to Cape Point.
Aug 6-9 2011 Cape area: Cape Point, Table Mtn, Boulders Beach
Aug 9: WCNP
Aug 11/12 Namaqua NP
Aug 13/14: Augrabies Falls
Aug 15-21 KTP
15th--Kieliekrankie
16 & 17th--Nossob
18 & 19th--Kalahari Tented Camp
20th--Twee Riv,

BrooklynBirder

Unread postby BrooklynBirder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:05 am

Hi all, we are back from our fantastic trip (and I am up at 3 a.m. with crazy jet-lag :D ) I have over 6000 photos to sort through and we had some great sightings in KTP, although perhaps rather less than I'd hoped (no black-maned lions BB :( and cheetah only far in the distance.) Still, KTP is wonderful and we did see lots of birds and one great leopard sighting (came down right next to the car :clap: and the now-famous Nossob lion kill right by the road with the three cubs! Also ran into Jo and her spouse several times with her yellow plastic bag ribbon and that was a lot of fun.

And we had somewhere over 200 birds for the whole trip--many lifers and many endemics, still need to work all that out.

Will try and do a full trip report--eventually!!

Great to meet everyone and wish I could come on your birding outing :cry:
Aug 11/12 Namaqua NP
Aug 15-21 KTP
15th--Kieliekrankie
16 & 17th--Nossob
20th--Twee Riv,

BrooklynBirder

Unread postby BrooklynBirder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:Would like to hear your comments now that you have been to KNP & KTP.

I'm ruminating on it :think:

We had a fabulous trip and if I lived in S.A. I'd surely go often to KTP. Its beautiful and the solitude and quiet were amazing..camps like Kieliekranke truly magical. But I think its a place that needs more time to be truly satisfying. In our short time I felt the pressure was on to find the big cats and while we absolutely appreciated all the small things, and the common things, and the birds of course, the predators are always the highlights. It was really quite quiet in terms of the cat sightings (notwithstanding the lion kill at Nossob.) We weren't the only ones who thought so...most folks we met, including Jo, felt it was a pretty quiet time. I think it might be attributed to the cold--even Jannie said that the cold was affecting sightings. I would surely go back in a different season, closer to summer when things might be more active and there would be more migrants and raptors. (We saw many birds, but not a large variety of species.)

Of course Kruger can be quiet too but there are just more options for roads to travel and if one area is slow you can try another, in KTP you basically have one road to travel back and forth all day long. And there is more variety of habitat and species in Kruger. Actually we didn't have many cat sightings in Kruger either...I think we actually had more in KTP, as we had that rainy week in Kruger. But there was so much else there--eles, rhino, hyena (we saw only one hyena in KTP), zebra, buffalo...etc etc.

I hope this makes sense. Really, if I lived there I'd go to both as often as possible, they are totally different and both amazing. But as a traveler who spent 30 hours getting home, not to mention a ton of $$$$, I think I'd return to Kruger first. (And I'm already thinking about a trip to northern Kruger next time...!!)
Aug 11/12 Namaqua NP
Aug 15-21 KTP
15th--Kieliekrankie
16 & 17th--Nossob
20th--Twee Riv,

Return to “Meets & Greets ”