Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tree Labelling Between Crocodile Bridge and Skukuza.
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:50 pm 

On a recent visit to Kruger I was most dismayed by all the labels on the trees between Crocodile Bridge, Lower Sabie and Skukuza. If people are interested in trees like I am, then rather go and buy a superior quality tree book and key out your new finds. I DO NOT LIKE these labels as they detract from the wilderness experience. What is next? Seeing an Impala with a sign around its neck???

Last edited by Tulagi on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tree Labelling Between Crocodile Bridge and Skukuza.
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 pm 

I agree, people buy books to identify birds why not buy books for the trees, at least the tree will stay there until you have finished looking for the name.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I love trees and have several books to help identify them. My hubby and I often try to guess which tree we are looking at and then its great to confirm it by means of a label.
Labels also help raise interest in trees as many of the special ones are labelled.
Trees can be very confusing for beginners and a walk round a camp with labelled trees is very helpful.
I have found the Sappi tree books easy to use as they help one to learn a few trees to look out for to start with, then progress to more varied and difficult examples. :? :wink: :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:54 am 

I absolutely agree that trees can be greatly mystifying and wonderfully challenging and that labels create an interest as well as offer some help for beginners... however these labels should be limited to camps and picnic spots ONLY.

In my opinion, the moment one enters the "wilderness", all forms of human intervention need to be limited (granted there are roads, waterholes, telephone poles, road signage and such).

As I sit under a large and most magnificent Jackalberry Tree looking for a verreaux's eagle owl or perhaps dreaming of discovering a leopard in its branches I DO NOT want to be disturbed by a sign saying Diospyros mespiliformis.

The road between Crocodile Bridge, Lower Sabie and Skukuza used to be one of my absolute favourites as I have on many occasions seen the big five as well as wild dog and cheetah. This road has also offered other interesting sightings like Narina Trogon, African Finfoot, Painted Snipe, Martial Eagle, Verreaux's Eagle Owl and some smaller mammals like Bushbuck and Duiker... I NOW AVOID IT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mlondozie, I bought a book published in the late seveties, or eighties. I must try to find it. It was of great interest in understanding the thinking behind many decisions made during that era. I think that that could have been when the labeling happened. There was a whole chapter on "scientific research" the labeling of trees. I think that there has been a change in thinking since then.

As soon as I find the book, I will give the details. (Many of my books are still in boxes afer a recent move) :redface: :redface: :redface: