Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: African Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
400 in Kruger :shock:
Thats brilliant! Not too long ago the wild dog estimate was close to the cheetah estimate in KNP.
I remember something to the effect of 120 :hmz:
Anybody have stats on the wild dog estimates over the last 3 years?

At any rate it seems wild dog sightings have become far more frequent in KNP in recent years :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 am 

Kruger Wild Dog numbers for the last 10 years or so have been hovering at the 350 mark and it is still there after the last Dog specific aerial survey. There is a high mortality rate of the young and as you rightly said they have big territories. The more frequent sightings can basically be attributed I suppose to a vastly increased number of visitors.

The number of 350 includes dogs from Greater Kruger..Sabi Sands, Timbavati and Klaserie and Letaba Ranch areas

Unread postPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Our fourth wild dog sighting in January 8) Counted at least 21 dogs!!

They had a drink - slash - swim :lol:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 pm 

Wild about cats wrote:
Our fourth wild dog sighting in January 8) Counted at least 21 dogs!!

Wow! Amazing sighting. Maybe it was the same pack as we saw in Sabi Sands? There were also 21 dogs in this movie... Taken in september 2010.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm 

This is me coming late to the party... :( again :redface: !
BUT I brought a present... The Endangered Wildlife Trust has some guys out in KNP with their Carnivore Conservation Project, the most recent estimate was 144 dogs. Winter is approaching rapidly and we're hoping for some pups! Anything to get the numbers up, although it would be WONDERFUL to have 400 dogs in Kruger alone that is the estimate for the whole of South Africa...

KC

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 pm 

I cant remember where I took this but it was one of my best sightings, a large pack were on/near the road. Some retard ruind it by making them all move into the bush, obviously in a hurry and the dogs were in his way!! :evil: :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The small numbers mentioned seem to be "worst case scenario".

Tracking numbers seem suspect as the above contributions strongly suggest tourist reports as most reliable but what about all the vast wilderness areas where tourists never go ? Surely there must be some dogs there ?

Also, wild dog seem fairly general north of our borders, if we have a problem locally, will it not be an idea to translocate some fresh blood from Botswana/Namibia ?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:37 pm 
More info on the Photo project:

Where Wild Dogs roam
Unique study aims to save the Endangered African Wild Dog by understanding where they wander

ONCE considered vermin, colonial governments ordered widespread eradication of the African Wild Dog. Today, Wild Dog numbers are still on the decrease in some regions due to loss of habitat and prey, as well as direct persecution by livestock and game farmers.

The Wild Dog is Africa’s rarest large carnivore, after the Critically Endangered Ethiopian Wolf. Classified as Endangered on the IUCN’s Red List of Threatened Species, the only viable contiguous population of Wild Dogs in South Africa can be found in the Kruger National Park (KNP). Census results reveal that even here, numbers have decreased, from 434 in 1995 to about 140 in 2009.

In recent years, their numbers may have stabilized around the relatively small amount of Wild Dogs now present.“ The small size of the population exposes them to more risk,” says Dr Sam Ferreira, SANParks Large Mammal Ecologist. “If for example”, he adds, “a disease breaks out in the Kruger population, there are not enough animals to serve as a buffer and allow immunity to develop effectively. This could lead to a dramatic decrease in numbers or even local extinction of this population”. Small populations may also carry higher risks of inbreeding.

Wild Dog packs roam over long distances, and packs within the KNP population could possibly be moving outside of the park’s borders into unprotected areas. For the first time, researchers are now focusing their attention exactly there – where the KNP’s borders stop. The purpose of the Endangered Wildlife Trust’s (EWT) Kruger Western Boundary Project is to investigate if Wild Dogs and Cheetahs are moving beyond the park’s borders and if so, where are they moving and how their movements are affected by different land uses. The study also aims to gather information on human attitudes and tolerance towards these animals, and the threats these species face. The EWT is partnering with SANParks, Rhodes University, Jaguar Land Rover South Africa and a number of land owners, managers and communities to make this unique project happen.

Making it happen

The project is focusing on the movement behaviour of Wild Dogs beyond the western and southern boundaries of the KNP. Starting in 2010, the project is using questionnaires and interviews to investigate Wild Dog and Cheetah distribution, land use, threats and attitudes towards these two species. The land adjoining the park, including private nature reserves, hunting and game farms as well as lodges and crop farms, is being surveyed. This gives researchers an idea of the geographic layout, land-use practices and obstacles (such as negative attitudes and physical elements like roads) that affect the animals’ distribution or survival.

Researchers have also asked land-owners to provide them with sighting records and photographs of any Wild dogs and Cheetahs from the last 15 years. These will be analysed to identify individual animals from their unique coat and spot patterns providing information on movement and survival of animals.

Preliminary results

To date, says principal researcher, Jessica Watermeyer, a Master’s student at Rhodes University, the project has received more than 14 000 photographs of Wild dogs, and 9 000 of Cheetahs. Preliminary results show that several Wild Dog packs use substantial areas outside of the KNP in the private nature reserves along the western boundary, and one pack has a home range that does not include any areas inside the park. Wild Dogs come into conflict with humans outside the park and deaths have been reported from shooting, snaring, poisoning. They also seem to be susceptible to being killed in road traffic accidents. Watermeyer says that there has been no clear indication that snaring has a detrimental effect on Wild Dog numbers but better information on the baseline population will be necessary to really explore this.

In conclusion

The research team is hoping that those involved will acquire the knowledge to educate others in related land use practices about the threatened status of Wild Dogs and Cheetahs and the importance of their conservation. It is also hoped that the project will contribute to the development of management strategies that aim to improve human tolerance, appreciation and understanding of both species.

Ferreira adds that the project will afford the KNP a more global picture of the Wild Dogs. Wild Dogs regularly exploring areas outside the borders of the KNP may experience significantly more threats associated with humans than those spending most of the time inside KNP. The existence of the KNP population may be at risk if it cannot sustain the risks for dogs leaving the park. Alternatively, it is possible that the protection Wild Dogs experience within the park could compensate for losses outside KNP.

According to project field worker Grant Beverley from the EWT, “people must realize that their actions outside the park are affecting the population inside the protected area”.

*Grant Beverley is stationed in the lowveld. If you have any sightings information on Wild Dogs or Cheetahs, or need further information on these two species please contact him on
0832256214 or grantb@ewt.org.za

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thanks RP. A good refresher course on these most beautiful of canids. :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: wild dog advice
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Terry-Lee, a very warm welcome :D

I have seen Wild-dog most of my last visits.

From my experience, the south, Malelane and Croc Gates are possibly the best place to see. I have however seen close to Talamati.

I would say that southern Parks possibly has the most packs.

My most regular sightings have been close to Croc Bridge.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:31 pm 

hi all,

been pretty lucky with wild dog in the last 5-6 years, its all about being at the right place at the right time. maybe five years back, we heard that a pack of dogs were sighted around LS area, we travelled the H4-2 towards croc bridge, doing the mativulungu loop (S82) at least 10 times until luckily enough we found them on the main road towards croc bridge.

3 years ago, making our way out the park on the s25 towards malelane, we came across a pack (regularly seen on this road, still in 2011) it was great excitement for us at it was totally unexpected. we sat with the dogs for about 2 hours when suddenly a friend of ours sent an sms stating that we must make our way to the junction S25 and H3 as a pack of wild dog are lying on the side of the road. So for us, this is a memory we can never forget, 2 packs in one day.

Dec 2010 we found the same pack again on Timfenheni Loop.

The S1 Doispane has been very lucky for us with dogs, seen them about 5 different times over the years.

In 2009 we saw the Berg en Dal pack taking down an impala on the Matjulu Loop.

I returned from the park 2 weeks ago, we were travelling on the H2-2 from Pretoriuskop to Afsaal, the road was very quiet with not an impala in sight, when all of a sudden a round a bend, 5 wild dogs were running towards us. They were definitely on a mission, as we followed them for 10km what a sighting. (unfortunately this road has been closed until October for maintenance purposes)

So the S1, Berg en Dal area, Pretoriuskop are the places where the regular packs are sighted, but as I said, its all about the luck of the draw and entering the park without any expectations.

Wild Dog pack S1 2009

Same pack April 2010 S1

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." -- Mark Twain

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:00 pm 

Thanks FC :tongue:

I already wanted to reply hereto earlier but work load :shock:

The last years in row we had luck around the area in Skukuza, especially the H11 from Skukuza up to the crossing to the S1 was very rewarding, I would then recommend the S65 and the the H1-1 back to Skukuza also on this tar road we had luck and saw also a lot of magnets at the sighting boards which helped us guessing where to find them.

Last year we saw a small pack on the H12 which then rested in the beginning of the S30 - This pack has been seen there quite often.

And finally the Sweni drive (S26) near Satara was also great last year where we followed them quite a while (I guess this was the Orpen pack)

We always visited the park in February so in the deepest later summer.

Wish you luck in finding them, Terri-Lee :thumbs_up:

We spotted most of them shortly after gate opening time and one pack also very late shortly before gate closing time.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
During out last visit in KNP from the 14th - 19th of July 2011 there were a lot of Wild Dog sightings near Satara.
Unfortunately we didn’t have the chance to see them.....
A lot were seen on the road from Satara to Olifants and to the South of Satara.

The pictures are of the Sightings board in Satara of the 18th of July 2011
(Yellow are the Wild Dogs but I don't have to mention it :D )

17th of July 2011

18th of July 2011

There is an other topic about wild dogs.....maybe handy to check this out:

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54779

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Post subject: Loss of African wild dog...
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:13 pm 

Location: Vrikin stad ek haat dit!!!!! wil weer trug Nelies toe gaan!!!!
In the magazine of Africa Geographic the August 2011 copy. I got a poster which said on it that there are only 394 of south Africa's African wild dog left. Do we need to be warried about this situation of the wild dogs of SA????

Post subject: Re: Loss of African wild dog...
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:12 pm 
Hello, Wildlover!

There has always been a worry about SA's wild dog numbers...well, ever since man invaded their ranges.

Wouldn't worry too much, as their population is rather cyclical depending on disease, predator competition etc.

And they are very nomadic and difficult to count reliably!

But yes, they seem to be at a low at the moment.

In case of emergency, there are plenty at rehab camps, breeding facilities, zoos etc, also with a good genetic spread!

En die weer is simpel nou hier in Nellies!

Last edited by Richprins on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next