Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: lightroom vs CS
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 am 

Hey guys, we all know that processing of photos can enhance our pictures and take it from a "good" photo to a "wow" photo. So i was wondering how many of you use lightroom and how many of you guys use CS ? and how many use both. Also is it possible to post your pictures before and after and what settings you used?

:tongue:

Post subject: Re: lightroom vs CS
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 am 

You mean creative suite as in photoshop creative suite? I usually use ps as shortenedform.

Lightroom and ps brings different things to the table. I see acr as the same as lightroom (adobe camera raw is acr).

With acr i set white balance changes, make raw adjustments if needed, add raw sharpening, virbance etc. The same is done by those using lightroom. After that the rough edited image is then drawn in to photoshop and finalised, with lesser or more editing needed as per photographers personal preference.

I have several photographer friends and we all use either acr or lightroom and we all draw into photoshop to finalise.

I use photoshop cs5 but several of my friends still have cs3 andthey manage perfectly fine.

The reason why i personaly prefer acr rather than lightroom is that lightroom uses the prophoto colour space. As i edit on the bright side prophoto and its wider range might show me as unclipped but invariably when i draw into ps it clips the srgb channels. So i stick to acr, edit in srgb from start to finish.

-Brun
Www.brunilda.me

I love me some Canon. I don't begrudge Nikon their fun, but Canon is my game.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Lightroom and CS are totally different programs.

With lightroom you correct your photo, like straightening of the horizon, adjust colours, adjust exposure and remove dust. And cropping of course.

CS is for creative things, in other words you edit your photo. Removing branches and other disturbing details.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I work daily with both Lightroom and CS4.
Lightroom is definitely the best for picture/light/exposure control while CS is the best when it gets to touching up, creating graphics and as DQ says editing a photo.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:43 am 

Another nice program is HDR Photomatix. Currently use this and Lightroom :whistle: :whistle: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 am 

How much does lightroom costs now days and which version is best, I currenlty only have PS CS4

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

CS4 is an excellent version and recomend you continue with that one. Lightroom sells for about 300 euro at the moment.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I use Lightroom exclusive
And have enough editing functions
colour, light, sharpness etc
Even use it for removing the odd stain on the lens or bit of branch

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 am 

I use to use ACDSEE for my photo editing and then i went to a lesson on photoshop CS by Robbie Aspeling and it was amazing what can be done. I have now both lightroom and CS3. I did a few of my pictures from my recent trip to pilanesberg in Lightroom and it worked pretty well.

So i take it that the majority use Lightroom to fix things and then import it into photoshop to edit the photo. Why not do it all in Photoshop ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:11 am 

YouTube is full of lightroom tips and trics with detailed info using all aspects of lightroom
Why not check it out
Will help making a decision

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Massimo, I've foound that Lightroom offers a better and wider choice of controls when it gets to color/saturation and so on. It's made exactely for that so you really have every command and control of all aspects of a picture.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 am 

Darkangel, you really dont need to get lighhtroom separately. Acr or adobe camera raw is built into cs or ps as i call it and if you cant find it is downloadable free on the adobe website. It does everything lightroom can do.

As photographer i had both acr and lightroom and actually stopped using lightroom as i personaly vould bring more out of my photos with acr, which will cost you nothing!

Ramuti, just becarefull when your photo is on the britghter scale as its easy to clip channels in lightroom, precisely becquse its a wider rangeof colours. However sinc emost printers prints only srgb colour colours are clipped and print badly. Also to post images to the web they need to be srgb or they will look beyond horrible.

I love me some Canon. I don't begrudge Nikon their fun, but Canon is my game.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:24 am 

bert wrote:
YouTube is full of lightroom tips and trics with detailed info using all aspects of lightroom
Why not check it out
Will help making a decision

When in doubt use Google and when you need visual help go to Youtube :)

RUMURUTI wrote:
Massimo, I've foound that Lightroom offers a better and wider choice of controls when it gets to color/saturation and so on. It's made exactely for that so you really have every command and control of all aspects of a picture.

I have used lightroom and then save file into a tiff and then import it into PS 3 and do a few edits. This was my first real attempt at using them both.

Taken around 1pm so harsh light but it didnt turn out to bad i rate

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Neat Massimo! have yoou tried lightening the blacks a little?? it would lighten the dark part of his face.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 am 

Hey Rumuruti - i did but i dont know i kinda like the effect. But this picture i used lightroom to lighten up the wings to see some detail.