Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Car rental advise
Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:10 pm 

Hi, as a very new boy -or at least one who hasn't posted since my last trip to The Kruger (2007), I'm trying to struggle with which vehicle to hire. Seems there is a much better deal for four of us on a Nissan Double Cab than on a Toyota Hilux but as a uk driver of Ford Focuses, I'm out of my depth here. I want a vehicle we can all see out of that is higher rather than lower in seating, and does not require folk in the back seat to remove their legs! Can anybody advise me?
Max

Post subject: Re: Commercial links allowed or not.
Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:28 pm 

Hi Max,

I'm not up on how much space is in a bakkie double cab as the only one we have had was a single cab. Not as much space as you might imagine and we couldn't just reach through and grab something from out luggage if we needed to as it was locked away in the back. However for height it couldn't be beaten and if there are 4 of you then luggage space isn't an issue.

We have had a SUV Hyundai Tuscon (usually described as an X-Trail or similar on hire car sites). We loved it, it had the height we needed and was spacious in the front. As there are only 2 of us though I can't say what it was like in the back. You should (just) be OK with luggage with careful packing and loading.

Post subject: Re: Commercial links allowed or not.
Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:37 pm 

Thanks for that; Hyundai Tucson seems very similar hire price to the Nissan Double Cab so.......................

Post subject: Re: Car rental advise
Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 am 

Max,

Find a Hyundai dealer in the UK and go and have a look around a Tucson. I've seen a few around so it is available in the UK

Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:56 pm 

In October we were with four of us and we hired a Hilux with a canopy (closed bakkie). On this way we could easily take four big suitcases. My father is a 2 m tall guy and he could easily sit at the backseat. In July we have a Tucson, but that is only if we are with 2 of us, otherwise our suitcases wouldn't fit.
But, there is a difference within the Toyota Hilux class. Mostly they can't guarantee you a 4x4. It's not that you need a 4x4, but the car is much higher than a 2x4. Just search for a good price. We never book directly with the rental company, some (how do you say that, companies that sell others products) are much cheaper. Our Tucson went down from € 1150 to € 800 for 2,5 week.

So, good luck finding a cheap deal for a wanted car.

And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 pm 

Hi Max,visited kruger last september and hired a Hyundai Tuscon.There were 4 of us and we found that the interior was comfortable and game viewing was fine.Only drawback was that there was limited room for 4 peoples luggage.We used soft holdalls rather than solid suitcases and we found that if you removed the rear luggage cover the space was adequate,but when the 2 SO's went food shopping the space became a little tight.This led to us discovering every available space under front and rear seats,ideal for cans of food and BEER.
Another tip is if someone is short and sitting in the rear seats we found that game-viewing was more comfortable if you borrowed a pillow from your room or you could use a cheap blow-up cushion(from the pound shop in the uk) or a rolled-up fleece.
Hope this helps,pm me if you wish for more information.

Take care wherever you are.

PF.

---------------------------------------
SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 - Berg-en-Dal
6 - Skukuza
7/8 - Tamboti
9/10/11 - Shimuwini
12/13/14- Shingwedzi
15-19 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Actually, while the Nissan double cab looks to be nice and large, the backseats do require a vertically challenged person if he/she is to sit in the back all day.
We used one in Namibia, which left me in the back for days in Etosha and KTP. I am around 1.85~1.90 and sort of had to sit like a girl wearing a short skirt. (Both legs to a side.)

I'm assuming the person in the back is due to photography?
Then I would go for another car. The windows go all the way down, that's not a problem. But due to too little space between the frontseat and the seat of the backseat you'll have to contort yourself quite a bit to get the shots, usually by putting both legs on the backseat. And bumping your head against the handhold above the window. (Found that wearing a cap did lessen the bumps a little, a hardhat could be better.)

That said, on the trip we are planning in Nab we will be hiring one again.
But for Kruger I would rather have a Touareg. It's way more comfortable, and probably around the same price?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Planning - Car(s) needed
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 pm 

Considerations without too much thought.

The longer you rent the car for the cheaper the daily rate is. Swapping cars too much would increase the daily rate?

You also have to consider that most hire car companies charge a one-way fee so trying to end up back in the starting point is a good id.ea.

Look for places that give you unlimited mileage.

While booking online is nice and straightforward sometimes its good to have a personal touch. Madach has the name of a local broker which I've also used and had excellent personal service from them.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:20 pm 

Agree with saraf, look for places that give you unlimited mileage.
One also needs to look at what is really required, is it necessary for a 4x4 or can you get by with a 2x4, they are more economical and can go most places. I would suggest something in the SUV class. Then comfort is something one can look at too :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good advice in here. :thumbs_up:

We've played around with hiring a 4x4 for only part of a trip (to do 4x4 trails in KNP :dance: ) and then swapping to a sedan. But the shorter hire time, plus 1-way charges for each vehicle, made it more trouble that it was worth. I'm sure I'll still price it out as we get closer to locking in a vehicle, esp since we're looking at 3+ days in Greater Kruger where the car will just sit idle, but I'll just stay with one vehicle unless the cost savings are great.

Post subject: Carhire 3000?!
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:53 pm 

Have booked a car with CarHire 3000 and paid the full amount...has anyone had any experience with this company?!

2 Nights Bergendal
3 Nights Pretoriuskop
1 EXTRA night Skukuza

3 nights sabie river bungalows

Post subject: Re: Carhire 3000?!
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:59 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Yes we used them in USA in 2006....they were excellent. Very good rates and all was in order!!

Have booked with them for our trip to SA this year as well, so hope they are still OK!! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Car Rentals IN the park, or what services available?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 pm 

Hi All,

I was reading through some of the car break-down stories, and am wondering if (probably not) there are any rental places inside the park in case a calamity of sorts happens to yours?

Are there any outside the park, near Lower Sabie for instance, or repair shops?

Does Kruger have any type of towing service?

I know these are all remote-chance questions, but I would imagine quite a few things do happen while there.

Thanks greatly..

Post subject: Re: Car Rentals IN the park, or what services available?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:16 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Skukuza has car hire (Avis), and of course you'd find it in Nelspruit, the Kruger-Mpumalanga airport, Malelane, and Komatipoort as well (I assume you're going to the southern regions). Both Skukuza and Letaba have repair workshops, and both would arrange towing if needed, while all towns along the Kruger border have garages too.

Now, make sure your car is in good running order, Morgandy, and stop worrying that it may break down; rather, enjoy your holiday to the full! :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Car Rentals IN the park, or what services available?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:43 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I know that there is an Avis counter within the Skukuza-reception building, so I assume that the cars must be stationed somewhere close by.

I once hired a car from Avis Kruger-Mpumalanga airport, but when we got to Croc Bridge, there was something wrong with it. The depot at Skukuza immediately drove a new car out to us at Croc Bridge, where it was swapped free-of-charge. I actually asked the driver where he had come from, and he confirmed that it was Skukuza.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next