SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SKUKUZA - HIDDEN HISTORIES
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks , Joep .
Very important that this info is kept vivid in ones mind , all too much is lost with modernisation and time .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Joep your post is most interesting and well written and I cannot wait for you to share more of your knowledge regarding the history of Kruger. Just a stupid question - why are they relocating the dog cemetery so many times? Is it not influencing the historical value in a negative way? MM thanks for always mentioning interesting books on Kruger history – it is appreciated by those who enjoy reading books on Kruger history like me. Your visit to the grave of one of the early rangers with one of his great grand daughters is so verrry interesting. I hope the lady told you some interesting Kruger stories. This is a great topic I hope it will expand to the rest of the hidden histories of Kruger as some of the information I read here are not available in books. Thanks BendaK for starting this brilliant topic!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 pm 
Guru
Guru

Thanks BrendaK for the interest shown. KNP's history is so interesting! The location of staff quarters can best be described from the road leading to Skukuza staff village. As you travel down it from the turnoff, you pass the first turnoff (right) to the SAPS station, and Conservation Services offices, labs etc. Between this turnoff and the next to the right, also leading to Conservation Services offices and State Veterinary office, the portion to the right of the road used to have the staff quarters. On Grantmissy's question on the dog cemetery, the need to move first time was to make it accessible to the public and second time due to development pressures. Please keep in mind that the dogs weren't buried there and that it more a collection of their gravestones, more like a memorial wall. I think where it is now planned, near the Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial Library, it will be able to stay for a good few decades. The oldest buildings in Skukuza would in my view be (more or less in order of oldest first - but unresearched so there might well be an oversight), would be:
1. Campbell hut museum (and nearby 209, which was modernised a few times since)
2. The original SAPS building
3. Struben Guest Cottage (designed by Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton)
4. Stevenson-Hamilton Library

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 am 

Dear Joep

Thank you so much for this info, will I find the Baobab trees there as well?

What about Lemoenboom Street?

Do you still have contact with Anne?

Why are they saying in Neem uit die verlede, that dogs were actually buried there after they moved the stones from the original cemetry?

Do you know anything abaout Doispan/e?

Thanks
B

"I am doomed to be a wanderer, I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist, I merely want to return to the bush to continue my wanderings" (Joseph Thompson - The bush for me and Africa for him)

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:53 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear BrendaK,

Lemoenboom Street is in the Skukuza staff village, in the area east of the Nwaswitshaka Spruit adjacent to the rest camp's western fenceline - there where the doctors rooms are located. In earlier years this used to be a fruit tree orchard, thus the name of the street.

The two Stevenson-Hamilton children, Anne and Jamie live abroad but frequently visit South Africa and Skukuza. Jamie comes every year and I do still have contact with them both.

It might be that there were some dogs buried at the original site, but many others came from different rangers posts across the park and it would just not have been possible to bring those remains to Skukuza to be buried there.

Doispane is an old outpost of ranger Harry Wolhuter next to the Mtshawu Spruit that he used when travelling between his rangers post at Mtimba (outside current park boundary) and Skukuza. It was named after an old Tsonga inhabitant who pronounced his name as "Dustbin".

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm 

Thanks Joep

You are an encyclopedia on your own!

Is it true that Doispane worked with James Stevenson-Hamilton? Was there a village where Doispane lived? Was he a chief? Is it near where Ali Sharif's grave is?

"I am doomed to be a wanderer, I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist, I merely want to return to the bush to continue my wanderings" (Joseph Thompson - The bush for me and Africa for him)

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:25 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Brenda,

Many thanks. I tried to trace references to Doispane in Pienaar, Stevenson-Hamilton and Wolhuter works and could not trace much to answer your question. I will look further and let you know if I find something. It seems from Wolhuter's Memories of a Game Ranger that Doispane might have still lived there early in the last century as he refers to Doispane's crops and that Doispane had paid a rainmaker by the name of Mpunzane Mhowelela (of Basotho origin) one pound for rain.

No, Doispane is not near where Ali Sharif's grave is. I recall Jamie (James Stevenson-Hamilton's son) telling me how upset his father was at the death of Ali, who had come from north Africa and that it was at the hands of the railway personnel that he died and that there was some malice involved.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:31 pm 

Quote:
The oldest buildings in Skukuza would in my view be (more or less in order of oldest first - but unresearched so there might well be an oversight), would be:
1. Campbell hut museum (and nearby 209, which was modernised a few times since)
2. The original SAPS building
3. Struben Guest Cottage (designed by Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton)
4. Stevenson-Hamilton Library

Joep can you please tell us where the original SAPS building is? I am also curious to know if the Baobab trees that you spoke about earlier is still around?

I saw old photographs of a shop in Skukuza, was it where the current shop and restaurant complex is.

I always thought the Library is a modern buidling - when was it erected?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear BrendaK,

Thanks for your interest and also Elzet, vgstephens, TheunsH and others.

The current SAPS building is where the original SAP office was and when you visit it you can clearly still see the old part, as there have obviously been some additions. It is not adjoining the camp boundary fence and can best be visited from the road to the staff village from which you take first turn right (same road as the Conservation Management complex and as you turn off, it is right in front of you.

Regarding the baobabs they are indeed still there and within the footprint designated for the hotel and I have this requested that they receive special prominence in the total layout of the footprint. They are in the south-western corner of the camp close to the back (south) fence amongst staff houses. They are close to the technical office of the camp and it would possibly be best to ask directions when in camp.

The shop is currently where previously the post office was and the shop was then where the current cafeteria is (next to the large marula tree). However, that complex was built relatively recently (last 50 years) and the first shop was probably located where currently the linen room was.

Regarding the library, if my memory serves me right that was opened in about 1960 or 1961, so indeed not very old, but regrettably there are very few of the very old buildings left.

This is why I have requested people to send old photos as they really convey so much about the history of camps.

Thanks for the interest from all.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

According to an article in "Custos" of March 1972 by Helen Prinsloo, the librarian, the Stevenson-Hamilton library was inaugurated on 14 October 1961.
Thank you for bringing all these old buildings to our attention again!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:32 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

Let me update my list (in order of age) and include a few structures outside the camp and Papenfus Tower:

1.Sabi Bridge (completed in 1910)
2.Campbell hut museum (and nearby 209, which was modernised a few times since)
3.The original SAPS building
4.Struben Guest Cottage (designed by Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton and donated by Frank EB Struben) completed in 1937
5.Papenfus Clock Tower after board member Herbert Boshoff Papenfus (1865 -1937) erected sometime after his death.
6.Stevenson-Hamilton Library (14/10/1961)

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Joep and all :D
Please inlighten me, I thought the most southern Boabab is the one between Tshoks and Satara? But I'm reading about boababs at Malelane camp and at Skukuza. (I know this is off topic and mods please feel free to remove 8) )

Many thanks

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:44 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Bennievis & All,

The ones in camps mentioned are all planted since these became ranger stations or camps while the one between Tshokwane & Satara is natural.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:57 pm 

Does anyone know where the Casa Mia Hut/Guest House is?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear BrendaK,

The camp underwent quite a significant upgrade in 1988 when the reception was moved to where the current cafeteria is. There was a few rows of old huts (including CasaMia) where the current carpark just above the fighting kudu statue is. These were all demolished for that upgrade. Thanks for your interest.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next