Skip to Content

Cell (mobile) phone SIM cards

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: SIM Cards

Unread postby DuQues » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm

No worries about the english Silvia.
Your phone needs to be SIM-lock free, if it isn't you can arrange that at your shop.
A quick browse gives me the following for a SIM card in SA:
The Vodago Super Six Starter Pack
(R149.00 incl. VAT) comes with:

* a WIG enabled Vodacom 32k SIM card preloaded with a 180 days airtime window,
* your Vodacom cellphone number,
* a Vodacom SIM card,
* a Vodacom certificate,
* a user guide, and
* 10 FREE SMS's upon 1st recharge.

So that's about 13 euro.
Have a browse here:
http://www.vodacom.co.za
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

silvia

Unread postby silvia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Thank you very much!!!!!! Last year after landing I've received two calls from car rental........and 30 euro flight away! :shock:
Kind regards
Silvia

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Beware of RICA though. You now have to register when you buy a SIM card. This is not always a simple process for overseas visitors (I think it depends on where you register and the agent who deals with you). You need a passport I think to register.

A starter pack should cost you no more than R10 at a supermarket, without any credit.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

majura

Unread postby majura » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:02 am

I'm planning to buy a Vodacom starter pack when I arrive in South Africa next week but need some help/advice. I've searched the Vodacom website (and contacted their customer care without success) but I can't find International call or receive rates for calls to and from Australia only local call rates and International SMS rates. Can anyone help please?

annapangolin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby annapangolin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Majura,

I'm sorry I can't help about the international phone rates other to say they'll be very expensive :wall:

You might have a lot of trouble trying to buy a sim card. This RICA thing means that you can't register a phone now at all unless you have a proof of local address. I really struggled and was told by the phone company I have been with for almost 4 years, that i'd have to just use my old british sim card in SA from now on, which is completely crazy. I ended up giving my sim to a friend and she registered it for me in her name. It really is silly.

Can you let us know how it goes when you buy your sim? A lot of foreign people will need advice about this.

majura

Unread postby majura » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks Moose. :)
My advice from Vodacom was that foreign visitors didn't need a local address and I would just need to present my passport as ID but there just seems to be a lot of conflicting information around. I will post the result as soon as I get the opportunity after arrival.

I think I will arrange International Roaming with my local supplier just in case - an expensive option but at list we will have a point of contact with family in case of emergency.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:07 am

If you get a South African SIM you will not be charged to receive calls (it's not like roaming)

You will of course be charged for phoning Internationally, but that I'm sure will still be cheaper than roaming.

There are also schemes available, where you can make cheap International calls from SA.
You just phone a certain number (which I'm sorry I don't know) and then you can get cheaper International calls.
Maybe a South African forum member can help you here.
I only SMS home when on holiday, and those rates are quite reasonable.

I bought mine SIM before the RICA laws came in, but I enquired in a Vodacom shop, in case I ever need to buy a new one, and was told that I only need to show my passport when purchasing.

Vodacom is only one of several phone companies in SA. There is MTN Cell C, and there may even be othere I don't know about.

Hope this helps, and hope you have a wonderful visit. :thumbs_up:
Thinking of Africa every day.

majura

Unread postby majura » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:40 am

Thanks vgstephens.
I'll try at the airport and see how it goes. If all else fails I will just have to keep my own SIM card and use international roaming. The SMS rates are not too bad.

Rooikat

Re: Cell (mobile) phone SIM cards

Unread postby Rooikat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Have any international visitors bought a SIM card with their passports (and no proof for RICA law) lately?
Any advice or comments?
KRUGER TRIP 2013

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Yes, I bought a SIM for my new cell, and a SIM for my USB dongle in Komatipoort in March this year.
I was just asked for my passport, and then the shop assistant registered me for RICA there and then with just a phone call.

Hope that helps. :thumbs_up:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Rooikat

Unread postby Rooikat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:33 am

Thanks, Crested Val! I just wanted to know that it still is possible and am happy that it is, especially in Komatipoort!
KRUGER TRIP 2013

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”