Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 22
 [ 318 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Clothing drive for local KTP communites
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi all - I have just returned from an amazing week in KTP - camping at TR, which was brilliant - only thing was that it was freezing cold - minus 4 and 5 was the norm most nights.

Jannie and I spent a lot of time chatting about we as forumites who are passionate about KTP can do to help our beloved park and one issue that was raised was the enormous need for warm clothing and shoes for the local communities - mainly the ones at Askham, Rietfontein and especially Welkom, where a lot of SANParks workers come from, as well as the San who are emplyed as trackers and experts in their field at KTP. There are a lot of children in these communities as well as the adults who are all in desperate need of good quality used clothing, especially beanies, gloves, scarves, warm jackets, as well as blankets and good used shoes - believe me, it is absolutely FREEZING here in winter and these folk don't have very much at all. ( If you don't have any old clothing, I have bought beautiful gloves and beanies from a well know inexpensive chain store that are less than R10 each and their grey blankets are wonderful too at under R40 :whistle: )

I am happy to co-ordinate collection of any items in the Cape Town area - please send me PM and I will happily come and collect. Alternatively, if you are going up to KTP in the near future you could always take clothing with you and pass it on to Jannie who will see that it gets to the right people in need. I have agreed to run with this project so if you would PLEASE let me know when and what is going up I would appreciate it. Also, if you are going up to KTP and have a teeny bit of space in your car, could you please let me know and we can maybe get a collection from other 'mites in your area....

If you could please put the word out amongst your friends and neighbours, at your local schools - anywhere - that would be great and a HUGE help to those in need. I would love this to become an on-going project that we forumites could do - its always incredibly satisfying to give something back !

This projected has been approved by the Honorary Rangers, Virtual Region and they will keep a tally of all donations made by forum members on their books.

All donations will be publicly acknowledged in this topic unless the donor specifies otherwise.

KTP Guru will also be keeping a list of the donations made and submit this to his management.

Thanks ( in anticipation ) Gill

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Post subject: Re: Clothing drive for local KTP communites
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:43 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Well done Scouter....
I am sure if I look in my cupboard I am bound to find plenty to send up to KTP.
Thanks for running with this Scouter...you are indeed a special "forumite angel" :D !!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Scouter, thank you for reminding us of those who are less fortunate. I have books ready for my next trip and will add clothing to my baggage. It will be after the winter season, but it will come in usefull next year.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:55 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi there All,

You guys are the best and each and every piece of clothing will change a person’s life as the communities are very appreciative of anything they can get. On several occasions I have been into Welkom in the early hours to fetch some trackers on a project I’m currently working on and to see all the people standing around the fires in the early morning with very little on made me realize that we who have are indeed blessed and your assistance to make a change will be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Jannie (KG)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Caracal :thumbs_up: and your ideas for making stuff for next winter sounds wonderful!!!

Thanks MM - anything will be helpful - if its winter clothng it can be kept until next year when its needed :clap: Hopefully lots of 'mites will follow your example and add a little stash of things to take up whenever they make a trip !

Jannie :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I am SO excited about this project - I know its going to change peoples lives and its brilliant to be able to give something back and to be able to help you guys up there ! :dance: :dance: The first load is going to be coming up with Madach SOON ....

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Scouter,

A wonderful initiative here :thumbs_up:

I know this is a bit early, but I suggested To Bush Baptist that I would be happy to give a talk on Antarctica to 'mites in Cape Town prior to our 4 x 4 trip in November. The suggestion was to maybe charge a nominal entrance fee to raise money for the Honorary Rangers projects. This is a worthy initiative to raise funds for and I'd be more than happy to talk about a cold place to the CT 'mites to help out people who who have no option but to endure the cold.

Would the CT 'mites be interested in listening to me drone on about Penguins? More to the point, would they be willing to cough up a bit of hard cash for having to listen to me for an hour or two :lol:

Let me know what you think and we can sort something out if there is enough interest.

A Birder's Eye View of Kruger

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Barcud - I have 3 words for you YES YES YES and PLEASE !! I think thats an absolutely fantastic idea and think all the Cape Town 'mites would agree and hopefully come and listen - I will be first on the list and I will drag the whole family along too :wink:

Thanks SO much for suggesting this for the clothing iniative - we could do so much with some cash - blankets etc that are also desperately needed - I'm sure Jannie will be able to guide us on what is most urgently needed !

Thanks so much - I think its wonderful and am so chuffed you are willing to help out :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok Scouter, we can work something out and make a plan :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 pm 

Wonderful idea Barcud ...and yes I will be there to support you !!!!!( providing of course I am not in the KTP :D )

But there is a minor little detail that bothers me and that is the following

Quote:
The suggestion was to maybe charge a nominal entrance fee to raise money for the Honorary Rangers projects.

I would like to know that my entrance fee that I am paying actually goes towards the "KTP Clothing Drive "and not put into a general "Honorary Rangers projects" kitty for the Honorary Rangers to decide where and what the funds should be allocated to !
Just saying !!!! :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Caracal,

The sentence you quoted was what I'd originally suggested as an idea to BB a few weeks ago before I saw Scouters clothing drive. After seeing her post today, I thought it would be a good idea to make it more specific. All proceeds will go towards the KTP clothing drive :thumbs_up:. (I never charge from any talks I do, but always ask for a contribution to be donated to a charity of choice).

There does not even need to be an entrance fee, just a voluntary donation of whatever people who attend can afford to give based on how much they enjoy (or not - I'm a nervous public speaker :redface: ) the evening?

At the moment, it's all just an idea, nothing is cast in stone, so I'm open to any suggestions or ideas that any of the mites have on this.

In any case Caracal, you will definitely have to attend - I will need a translator :lol:

Have fun,

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm 

Scouter wrote:
Barcud - I have 3 words for you YES YES YES and PLEASE !! I think thats an absolutely fantastic idea and think all the Cape Town 'mites would agree and hopefully come and listen - I will be first on the list and I will drag the whole family along too :wink:
Ditto!! :thumbs_up: :clap:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well done Scouter and other mites!! I would like to contribute, once you have banking details please post. I can help coordinating in Pretoria area. I will be visiting in Nov and can help with transport of items (for next winter)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tobieo :thumbs_up: - thats awesome, thank you SO much for volunteering to co-ordinate in Pretoria - you are a star !! Thanks too for the offer to take stuff up in November too - much appriciated :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:clap: well done Scouter :clap:
I can't go with this event :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Scouter and Jannie
You are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious :clap: :clap: :clap:
Scouter, will prepare a box of goodies in the coming week and let you have them.
Well done for pursuing with this, you are braver than me :redface: You forumites are fantastic, kind and most generous people :thumbs_up: I once suggested that the KTP Honorary Rangers call upon the forumites more often to seek assistance with helping and I was to say the least...rejected :evil: :wall: , so now I am happy, thanks Scouter and Jannie :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next