Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kruger and south africa
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:56 pm 

We are in the stages of planning trip for next year. Were originally going to book late august in hazyview in a traded timeshare for cost, but after looking perhaps bushveld camps would be better along with possible hides, in order to get the more bush experience. We are trying to spend 10-12 days tanzania for the northern circuit, then self drive capetown to kruger for 14-20 days. Any suggestions in terms of times to visit. Recently met someone who said august absolute worst time for ZA? Also having a hard time with driving times, they have distances then calculate based on that, but because I have traveled in other areas, coastal and mountain travel can take 2-3 times that. AA SA did not have anything about times. Don't want to bite off too much.
Thanks for any assistance, Love this website

Post subject: Re: Kruger and south africa
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:23 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums!

You are in for quite a bit of travel! :shock:
In my opinion you should drop Cape town, and do Kruger only. Kruger to Cape (which you'll be doing twice!) is something like 1300 kilometers. Which is off the top of my head, I stand to be corrected...
The highways in SA are great, you'll have no trouble driving it. Be prepared for s few tollgates though.

Switching to the bushveld camps is a super idea, you will get a far better experience. Having to go out everyday (back to civilisation) is the last thing you want. Except one of course, having to line up at the gate in the morning, hoping to get in, whilst you know that others are already looking at leopards, birds etc.

There are only two hides that you can book for an overnight, and only for one night. Keep that in mind.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Can't see why August would be a bad time to visit SA. It is at the end of winter, so yes it will by dry in the North of the country. But that offers better game viewing, since the bush is not as thick as in the summer months.

The main roads in SA are on average rather good, so you should not be delayed when travelling.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Susanna and welcome to the forums!

Here is a travel distance calculator, which I have used more than ones.

Good luck with your planning :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

sussana,

The distance between Cape Town and Kruger via Johannesburg is 1900 km and this will be your shortest route. Such a trip will take about 17- 19 hours and best to split in half. August is one of the most popular time to visit Kruger, but Cape Town will not be that great. The winter rains in Cape Town can continue to September, while the first seasonal rain in Kruger start again September to October. This mean you will visit Kruger when its still dry and your sighting will be easier, but don't be fooled by that. The bush in the south remains quite thick even when its dry.

I notice you got about 20 days for the SA trip and you can cover enough of SA in that time. August is the time you will have seasonal changes and inland it will still be cold, but starting to get warmer than currently in July. IMO the areas north of Pretoria is very pleasant to visit in August and not to warm compare to summer time. Further south can be a bit cold except the Natal coast line. You will also find the veld very dry and dull in the Drakensberg area were Cape Town will be green.

Our holidays to Kruger is normally for 20 days, but if you want to see more of SA 10 days should be enough.

Starting off in Cape Town can be a great idea even if you will experience rain. My suggestion will be to do the Garden route and have to oppurtunity to see whales, something that few other countries can offer.

SANP is well represented in the Cape, so include Cape Aghulas, Tsitsikamma and Wildernis, Addo and Cradock Mountain Zebra in your plan. West coast Nat Park will be a bit rainy, but its also the start of the flower season although only great to view in sunny conditions.
Up to Cradock can be done in 6 days if you stay over at some of the parks. Next stop can be Golden Gate and Drakensberg. From there connect to the N3 and head for Johannesburg and then Kruger, which will take about 8 hours. The other shorter route are not in great condition and I must rather say a risk to drive due to the potholes. The coldest spot on this route will be Cradock and Golden Gate/ Drakensberg.

You will miss Natal coast, but this is the best route and if you do want to visit places like St Lucia rather approach from Harrismith than East-London. From Natal North coast you can miss Jo'burg and drive through Swaziland to Kruger. The Durban mites can advice better on this route if you plan to take it.

So to sum it up SA can be great to visit in August, CPT maybe wet, inland, cold, but Kruger the best waether.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:44 pm 

Thanks for all the info. Idea is drive capetown to port elizabeth then fly to pretoria/johan or nelsprit pick up car then to kruger.
It seems like we will miss durban which someone said is a good visit but seems a bit much.
I am researching the bush camps. Is sabi something I want to see ( seems like everything points to crowds but worth it) or should we start out at Kruger gate or orphen and head north. The time distance thing has me baffled and I do not want to book and have to rush from place to place.