Skip to Content

Books about Kruger National Park

See what other forumites recommend you should read
KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Re: Kruger graves

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:20 am

wildtuinman wrote:I have always been wondering who was buried in the Kruger Park. I have even come across a pet cemetry in Skukuza.

Who was Anna Ledeboer (Ranger's wife) and why was she buried near Letaba? What was the cause of her death?

Who was William Lloyd, buried near Satara?

Thomas Hart, buried near Berg-en-Dal?

Also, who was Bran Key, plaque near Kanniedood?

Danie, would you know?

Hi Wildtuinman

The best place to research this subject is Dr Tol Pienaar's "Neem uit die verlede". Next time you are in Skukuza, pop into the library and ask if you can read through this wonderful reference source.

A lot of the "newer" memorials are placed after guests approach us with requests to place plaques in memory of their loved ones who have passed away.

You will notice, particularly in older camps like Lower Sabie, that a lot of the benches have got plaques dedicated to various people. If we can accommodate these requests, we do.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:58 am

wildtuinman wrote:Thanks a million!

Can't wait to get to that Library!

Please see a comment of mine earlier and elsewhere on the forum on how difficult it is to find something in the library. An electronic cataloque perhaps would work.

Thanks yet again KNP Spokesman.

Hi Wiltuinman

At the risk of sounding like a "Smart Alec", I can comment about this too.

One of the major problems of the library was the reference system. Fortunately "THE COLONEL" recently came to our rescue yet again. Well ... perhaps not him, but his son Jamie Stevenson-Hamilton. Not only did he donate money to update and install all our "knowledge resource" material and records, he also gave the money to install air-conditioning in that building.

The Knowledge Resource Department is busy with the update process at the moment - as you can imagine, with cross-referencing, data capture and all that, it is a mamoth task! - but when it is finished, it promises to be something really special.

By the way, Jamie and the rest of the family often visit the KNP and take an active role in many projects. They are wonderful people and give us tremendous help and support whenever they return to South Africa. Naturally, we treat them like gold when they visit us! They now live in Scotland.

When you go to the library, just ask either Caroline Moshesh or Tshide Morulane for assistance. Those two girls know the library like the back of their hands and will be only to pleased to help you.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Re: Bushmen paintings

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:20 pm

pikkanin wrote:Could you tell me if there are bushmen paintings in the southern end of the park that people can see without having to go on a guided tour? Thank you

Hi Pikkanin

I am afraid the answer is no at this stage. The problem with bushman paintings is that they are often damaged by humans if they are open to the public and guided tours are the only option at the moment. This is currently being investigated.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Meg
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:58 pm

Are the bushmen paintings in the camp at Mopani the real thing? I only ask as they didn't seem to be protected from tampering, so I was wondering if they were copies? Thanks :)
Mothers hold their children's hands for a while and their hearts forever

pikkanin

Bushmen paintings

Unread postby pikkanin » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:02 am

Does this mean the only way one can see Bushmen paintings in the park is to take one of the overnight trips? Will a morning or afternoon drive from Berg-en-dal for instance go to those areas?

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 am

Mopani's is fake,

KNP Spokesman, I remember that there were a small cave at the hippo pool, near Croc Bridge which was covered by metal bars. Was that bushman paintings?

I haven't been there for a couple of years so I am not sure.

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby francoisd » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:29 am

On our last visit to KNP we went to the Hippo pool for the first time in years. When we arrived, the old guard (forgot his name), returned with two ladies from the rocky hill. He mentioned something of paintings that used to be there and as far as I could remember he said that they were washed away during the floods.

Maybe Danie / Kruger can confirm this?

Pat

Unread postby Pat » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:56 am

While at Kruger in Dec04, we went to Hippo Pools outside CrocBridge and there is still a small piece of the painting left. It seemd to be the head of an eland?, worth going to have a look as the scenery is fantastic. While up on the rocks, also saw hippo, elephant, big herd of buffalo.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:47 pm

pikkanin,

Your best chance to see paintings would be to go on the Bushman walking wilderness trail. It's awesome!! The irony is that your chance of getting an opening on the trail will not be that great.

Good luck in any case!

Petrus

Crosses in Park

Unread postby Petrus » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:06 pm

How many of you have seen the cross on a tree just outside Letaba on one of the dirt roards?

According to my information this was done by explorers and the cross always shopws north. It was also a place to be used as post point and help them find their way.

Does anybody know if this is true or is their another story behind it?

Petrus

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:44 pm

OK, you would be referring to Das Neves Cross. It was probable carved at around 1860 by the Portuguese explorer Fernandes das Neves. And yes, these crosses were route markers as well as "Post Offices". They were also usually made at places where there was a nice spot to rest with maybe easily accessible water.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

DvZ
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Books about Kruger National Park

Unread postby DvZ » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:26 pm

Went to get Nigel Dennis book "Where to find wildlife in Kruger park"

Ended up buying two books.

2nd:

Getaway Guide to Wildlife Photography - by Nigel Dennis.

This book is excellent.

Gives you great tips on what to do and not to do. He shares a lot of secrets and tips with you.

Cost R90

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: "Greater Kruger" by Heinrich, Phillip and Ingr

Unread postby madach » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:04 am

Guinea Pig wrote:Have any of you read this book yet?
Looks quite interesting as they wrote a book about the stuff we don't really hear about eg. elephant relocation, eradication of alien plants, darting of lions etc.

I met Heinrich at Elephant Plains in April 2004 and he told me about this book. It hadn't been published yet, so I pre-ordered my copy. I received it last November. It's a beautiful book with lots of interesting info. What makes this book special for me is that there are pictures in it of a rhino relocation in Kruger in May 2000 where I was present (that was sheer dumb luck).

Here are some pics of that relocation.

Pac

Exploring Kruger

Unread postby Pac » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:12 am

This week i picked up a book called: The prime origins guide to 'Exploring Kruger'.
the authors are Brett Hilton-Baker and Prof Lee R. Berger.
ISBN: 1-919855-37-8

I have just started reading and browsing through it and it looks really great!!
It is sort of a mix between the authors and Sanparks, published in the last year. reading through i have found some really usefull things and it is really helpfull and informative.
it is A5 size and covers everything from geology to history.
Each area of the park is covered seperately, it tells which areas and roads are the best to go on and what animals to expect and where you should stop around the area. it also has many random things which apeall to many like top 10 photography spots, an animal cencus no.'s, 'Kruger calender' describing what the vegetatona nd viewng is like at times of the year.
I don't think i have done this book justice in this thread, it is really worth looking at as it is new and really good.
Any one else seen it or read it????

Pac
"you could walk a mile in my shoes and you'd be crazy to"

bwana
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bwana » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:31 pm

Hi, Pac

I've got it too. Its a great book and it gives kind of a different write up of the park, as it concentrates on the roads as opposed to the areas. Also filled with interesting tit-bits.
GP, tell your hubby not to fret as it is pretty cheap. Well anyway, its about R100. I bought it in the park last year, and paid that for it, so in town it should be a bit cheaper.
Here is a pic of the cover for others who are interested. As Pac says, it is probably the latest release on the park. Definately a good companion while in the park.

regards
bwana
All your snakes are belong to us.

Return to “Bookshelf”