Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mphongolo loop s56
Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The views of the river bed along the part to the north of the Sirheni turn off are not as spectacular as those along the southern part as the road no longer follows the Mphongolo river , but a tributary of it .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
My favourite road in the north. This is the only road in the north where I have seen white rhino. The main road to PM is also a great road for me.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:04 am 

hi all
my favourite road in the park by some way seen mating leopards and the resident sirheni leopard also seen lion on 3 occasions.just off one of the link roads on the main road at boyela WH had some great sightings including herd of 15-20 eland.enjoy this great area of the park. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111, DONT travel this road if Elephants are attracted to you :naughty: Its a very narrow winding road with beautifull scenary....but be aware!!!!! I loved it, but will never drive it again by myself.....far too scary with those beasts around :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Definitely one to miss for me then!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bushbuddies wrote:
Spoke to a patient of mine today who's been visiting KNP for years - he reckons it is a road to avoid - apparently the ellies can get you in a corner there... :shock: But I'm willing to still give it a try - I'll just give the ellies their space... :thumbs_up:

So we went to the area, and we drove this road... and guess who got bullied and stormed by ellies on this road...? :shock: Just to let you know - it's true: some very nasty ellies on this road! :tongue: Otherwise lovely! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In Dec 2009 I was the last in a group of 3 cars that had to reverse with a cheeky bull elephant upfront setting the pace .
About a km further I was able to take the first escape route .

I have on many other occasions seen elephant displaying flippant attitudes along this road .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Do not drive this route if you are in a hurry :naughty: Ellies tend to react if you come onto them suddenly , and with all the little twists and turns on this route , it can happen quite easily that you suddenly find yourself right in the middle of a herd with mothers and babies .
In May this year , near Mavatsani WH , we sat waiting for more than 45 minutes for a herd to cross the road and move away so that we could pass :huh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
okie wrote:
o not drive this route if you are in a hurry

Exactly :thumbs_up: Not only because of the elephants, but also because it is thick riverine bush and big trees. You have to take time to inspect between every bush and in every tree :D Often I heard the animals before I saw them! Which meant I could slowly approach and see them :D The animals are slittish up there are run away from cars so doing this loop slowly is the only way :thumbs_up:

kallis1786 wrote:
I have seen Lions on numorous occasion and have seen Lions trying to hunt a baby ellie on this loop, I have also seen Lions fiesting on a buff, so it is one of my lucky routes and I have sightings on this loop which are unforgettable and my first Leopard was on this route as well. So it's really special for me.

That sounds very special :D Strange because I wouldn't have assumed it to be lion country :hmz: Although I guess where there is prey lions are there also 8)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Loove this road 8) my favourite in the park :dance: The scenery just does it for me.

Agree with the ellies up here, have also been chased down the road by a stubborn young guy on more than one occasion. Also had a buffalo road block that took almost an hour to get round. Leopard sightings, lion as well :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As you have noticed, I have a deep hidden love for this road, this environment along this road. The peacefulness, the majestic trees along the exceptionally beautiful drainage line of the Mphongolo river.... The sense of remoteness along this road. The dust. The potential. The sphere 8)

Now seeing is believing, so let's share the usual of this road, opposed to all awe-inspiring sighting you formites can post.... :whistle:

This ICONIC tree felt down when I was there end April/May this year.... a real pity!

There are PLENTY of these guys around, you just have to scan the trees very very careful!

But it's not the Njala bulls, the Giant Eagle Owls or the stunning leopards along this road. It's the scenery that will return to your memory...... 8)

Then there is just the general beauty :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:05 pm 

That's exactly why I love that road so much :thumbs_up:

Thanks G@mespotter :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41 am 
Even though I have not seen a lot of wildlife on this route the beautiful scenery will always bring me back. There is not a lot of roads like that in KNP.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:05 pm 
ndloti wrote:
The views of the river bed along the part to the north of the Sirheni turn off are not as spectacular as those along the southern part as the road no longer follows the Mphongolo river , but a tributary of it .

Thanks for answering on my behalf there, ndloti! :redface:

Great pics G@mespotter! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I posted earlier that if there were ellies at close quarters I would give it a miss........and then I realised that we had actually travelled this road in March!! :redface:

I can only reiterate what most of you are saying........it is stunning, and luckily for me, the day we travelled there were no ellies in sight. :dance: :dance:

We did however see a huge herd of buffs near Shingwedzi. :big_eyes: