Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sunset or night drive
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:13 pm 

I personally prefer the night drive as I get slightly more time to experience what I can't during the daylight hours, but I would always do at least one of each if possible.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
Hi Granny B

When we have the choiuce of night or sunset drives, we would opt for the night drive as we cannot do this for ourselves. However, we have found that most camps only do sunset drives now with just a few offering night drives when they know the sunset option will be fully booked. When we were at CB last November, we were informed they did sunset drives only.

As someone has already explained, for overseas visitors (we are also UK based) the cheapest option for entry fees is a wildcard (single or couple whichever is appropriate) is the cheaper option if you will be in a San Park for more than 5 days.

I think you may have a problem with travellers cheques and would suggest you take mostly cash as this is the only option for petrol etc but you can use a credit card in SANP shops, booking drives, accommodation etc. We order in UK and take with us. PM me for further details if I can help further.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Dabchick wrote:
I'm glad to see so many people prefer sunset drives! - it means that there are less of a chance that night drives are booked out when I'm there

Well that's what makes life great - different people like different things - so we don't all like and do the same! But I'm also on the "Sunset drive-bandwagon". I've seen genets on all my sunset drives. The sunset drive usually starts 30 min before gate closing time and lasts about 3 hours. Gate closing time usually coincides with sunset. This means that on a sunset drive - you've got about 30-45 min of daytime, 15-30min sunset time and 2 hours night time! And during those 2 hours is when you see all the night time animals...

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Post subject: Some Ideas For a peaceful Trip To KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:55 pm 

The topic on bad game drives due to other visitors caught my eye.
So my idea is if I book a drive and pay for the minimum number of guest ( 4 or 6) required will I be able to go out on my own with the guide. Experienced visitors want to see it all where as newbies want lions and lions and lions.
As I am in the park during a quite time I think it may be possible to get away with it.

As a keen photographer I will have to stick some part of my hand/upper body to use support systems to steady the large lenses ( bean bag or specific door bracket), would this minor and occasional infringement of the rules be a no no.

http://www.clicked-on-safari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post subject: Re: Some Ideas For a peaceful Trip To KNP
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

If you pay for all the seats, the drive is yours! If not, you cannot complain if other people join the drive. It is possible at many of the camps to book a day drive or a half day drive. Often, these will not be as popular as a night drive, especially since they are not scheduled. You may be able to get away with paying the minimum amount on them.

Having an arm protrude, should not get you in to trouble ... well at least not with the humans. But beware of some animals! But hanging out, having say your arm and shoulders out of the vehicle is not allowed.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

As Imberbe said if you want a private drive you have to pay for all the seats - minimum 10, and then make sure you specifically request a 10-seater for a private drive or you could find you have paid for 10 and still end up on a large truck with other guests! Not all camps will be able to accomodate this request, so make it early to allow them time to sort it out. We do it fairly often in this part of Kruger.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:17 am 

Have a look at the "New Additional Drive Options" on this page.

You can maybe email Skukuza directly. At that time the rate request was also forwarded to Letaba and Berg-en-Dal by the lady at Skukuza but those camps never replied.

Post subject: Re: NIGHT DRIVES WITHIN THE PARK
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mel

Children under the age of 6 are not allowed on drives. The 12yrs rule is for bush walks and wilderness trails.

Post subject: Re: Late night drives
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Cornelius you can do late night drives :thumbs_up: Follow THIS link and click on Tariffs 2010/2011 and scroll down to after all kruger camps are listed. There you can see, any camp that offers a night drive which is the one that departs at 20:00 as well as the price :thumbs_up:

The camps that offer it are:
Bateleur
Letaba
Mopani
Olifants
Punda
Satara
Shimuwini
Shingwedzi
Sirheni
Talamati

If I am at a camp that offers a night drive, and we have planned to go on one we always prefer the night drive versus the sunset drive. In my opinion much nicer, shorter at only 2 hours but I go to see the nocturnal animal life, I can see the diurnal in my own car :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post subject: Re: Late night drives
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 pm 

We went on a late night drive at Tamboti about three weeks ago. The guide picked us up at Tamboti at 20:30 and we were back at 22:45. I also prefer the later drives. Gives you chance to braai before going on the drive. Also during the first hour of the sunset drive, the gates are normally still open for other vehicles which I dont' prefer, people rushing to camp etc.

On this Tamboti drive we saw a pack of 16+ wild dogs in the road, hyena, jackal, white tailed mongoose, genet, bushbabies etc. The only negative thing was that the guide seemed to have rushed the drive. We were driving very fast, passing by a few sightings of eyes because by the time you alert the guide that you saw something you are already almost half a kilometre pass. :wall:

Still an awesome drive. I phoned Orpen directly to book for the drive. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 pm 

If you prefer a Night, morning or Sunsetdrive it is always an Individual oppinion. I would prefer a Nightdrive, mainly in the midle of Kruger z.B. Shingwedzi, Letaba. And the Northern Part like Punda Maria.

Maybe a nice Idea, plaese check it out. That is called a bushbraai. You will go out wioth a Ranger nad have a braai in the Bush. No Fence! my Parens are going to do it in August. think about it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:27 pm 

Personally I would do one from Malelane, mainly because they would tend to use the smaller trucks, which gives a more intimate experience.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Post subject: Re: Drives
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 am 

Hi Ralph and Lenny,

on our recent trip we did sunset drives at Lower Sabie, Satara, Letaba und Punda Maria and all were fantastic.
I liked them very much as we saw both diurnal and nocturnal animals.

As mentioned before - sunset drives and morning walks is a very good combination.

Many regards,

Andreas

Post subject: Re: advice booking GAME DRIVES in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Get to the drive start point early, other do.
You then have the choice of seats.
I usually sit next to a 'window' if I can.
Take binos, they help with distant sightings
Dress warmly, it can get very cold as the still air hits you, as the vehicle moves along.
Don't expect the boring 'big 5', but prepare for nocturnal animals and birds.
Otherwise you might get a stunning sighting, like a serval or civet, and not realize it.
Don't be shy.
Ask your guide any questions.
The others will benefit from the answers as well. They were too shy to ask.
Good luck - that is really what a night ride is about!

Post subject: Re: Sunset Drive VS Night Drive
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello Joubie

The sunset drive usually starts an hour before sunset and last for about 3 hours. The night drive is for 2 hours and starts from 20:00, depending on the camp.

I would also choose the sunset drive, it's more magical with the sun setting and we usually see preditors getting active just as the sun is setting. I haven't been on a drive in Talamati, but on a few drives in Satara, and you will not regret it.

Enjoy your trip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next